Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Parking ticket?

Parking ticket?

Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Question Parking ticket?

Very odd.

I received in the post today a postcard from the dmv of Washington DC. It is a notice to acknowledge receipt of my request for mail adjudication of a ticket (number included).

Only I have never received a ticket in DC, let alone requested adjudication! I've only been there one this year and parked in a private car park (9.30 club).

I tried calling the DC DMV number, and after 10 minutes of phone menu hell I gave up. I tried looking the number up online, and affect yet more time rummaging on the website I found it is a parking ticket with a balance of $0.00!!!

WTF?

Is this a scam or just mega-DMV incompetence? Something to ponder on my last full day in the country.....
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:24 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parking ticket?

Some parking violations in DC are issued by the DPW. Many of these offer an image of the violation.
Try entering your ticket number and license plate:
Parking Services | Online Parking Ticket View
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Some parking violations in DC are issued by the DPW. Many of these offer an image of the violation.
Try entering your ticket number and license plate:
Parking Services | Online Parking Ticket View
thanks - tried earlier and got a "ticket not found" message.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 3:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like some sort of scam, either someone has cloned your tag and is driving around with it, a sort of automotive identity theft, or someone is trying to scam you into paying a "fine" that they're going to syphon off.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Does the postcard match the one on this web page?

Contest a Parking Ticket | dmv

Inept dmv sounds like a good explanation.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Does the postcard match the one on this web page?

Contest a Parking Ticket | dmv

Inept dmv sounds like a good explanation.
Yes! Exactly the same as that postcard. Thanks, I didn't find that page. I took a screenshot of the page which told me the ticket has a balance of $0.00. I'd have loved to actually talk to a human at the DC DMV, but after 10 minutes circling the phone menu without finding an option to do that I gave up. Nothing else I can do - I sold the car yesterday, told Va DMV, told usps that I'm leaving so any further post will bounce and am now at the airport waiting for my flight back home. I suppose the worst that can happen is that I get an outstanding fine and Va suspend my license (due to expire in October anyway). I'll keep all my car paperwork in case I ever need to move back in the future and get problems.

How odd though.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

To follow up, I received today another postcard which said that "based on your statement and/or evidence or the government's failure to meet its burden of proof, the ticket was dismissed by a hearing examiner. Please retain this document for your records". So, nothing to worry about then. I'm leaning more and more towards inept DMV.

On the plus side, it appears my usps redirect is working from my virginia address to yoorkshire!
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news for you. .... Not so much those living in Virginia who have to deal with the incompetence of the DMV.