British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   parking for removal van in NYC? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/parking-removal-van-nyc-925546/)

annabos Jun 6th 2019 2:30 pm

parking for removal van in NYC?

Hi everyone
How on earth do I go about reserving space outside my street (East 17th) for the removal van?
Thanks
Anna

Pulaski Jun 6th 2019 2:33 pm

Re: parking for removal van in NYC?

Originally Posted by annabos (Post 12694162)
Hi everyone
How on earth do I go about reserving space outside my street (East 17th) for the removal van?
Thanks
Anna

Are you coming or going? ….. I would assume that the removal company would know how to solve that problem. :unsure:

annabos Jun 6th 2019 2:35 pm

We are leaving NYC.
We have not yet chosen a removal company ... see second message! But yes, you are probably right. One to ask them when we have booked.
With an intra-city move we didnt get that help though.

Pulaski Jun 6th 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by annabos (Post 12694173)
We are leaving NYC.
We have not yet chosen a removal company ... see second message! …..

Which "second message"? :confused: You have only posted twice in this thread and with all due respect, you can't expect people to go trawling the entire BE forum to piece together your story and circumstances from posts you have made in different threads/ sub-forums.

annabos Jun 6th 2019 2:50 pm

thanks

Pulaski Jun 6th 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by annabos (Post 12694180)
thanks

Ur welcome. :)

MidAtlantic Jun 6th 2019 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by annabos (Post 12694173)
We are leaving NYC.
We have not yet chosen a removal company ... see second message! But yes, you are probably right. One to ask them when we have booked.
With an intra-city move we didnt get that help though.

No, it's one to ask before you book :nod:

tht Jun 7th 2019 3:05 am

If I recall there are only about 6 blocks on E17th, of which 1 is Union Square. That street is not really wide enough to double park. But I had friends who had a loft on it and all seemed to move without an issue. You hire people so it’s not your issue. Generally they will park in front of a fire hydrant, double park, ask you to put your car there the night before to save a space, that’s what I did moving out of the city, parked it so there was not enough space between me and the fire hydrant for a car and that made enough space for the large moving truck. Parking tickets are a cost of doing business for delivery vehicles in NYC and mostly to big to tow. Most keep old ones to put on the windshield themselves to try and prevent more. There may also be commercial / delivery spaces if your are close to businesses which the truck may be able to use as well.

retzie Jun 8th 2019 4:03 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12694488)
Parking tickets are a cost of doing business for delivery vehicles in NYC and mostly too big to tow.

This. Check the agreement to see if you will foot the fines (you will). If the agreement doesn't mention tickets, then they are just kidding themselves (and you will still foot the fines).

retzie Jun 8th 2019 3:15 pm

Oh, also: if they can't stop close to the entrance, there may be a fee for distance (i.e., hauling stuff around the block).

pejp Jun 17th 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by annabos (Post 12694162)
Hi everyone
Thanks
Anna

I moved several times in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and every time we just split the cost of any tickets with the moving company.