Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Parents petition approved! Help!!

Parents petition approved! Help!!

Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

jaysangha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parents petition approved! Help!!

Hi all.

I have a bit of strange question I'm hoping one of you mighty brains can help with!

My parents have just had an I-130 (brother/sister) petiton approved for them. It was filed by my uncle in CA about 5 years ago (my sister moved to Houston a couple of years ago and gains citizenship this year hence why my uncle filed it instead). The Petition has now gone to Portsmouth, NH for further processing.

My folks are British citizens who spend most of their time in Ontario, Canada with me so they can be closer to their grandsons. When the petition was filed, they were working full time and residing in the UK, they are now retired. The address on the original paperwork was the UK address (which they still own and visit every 4/5 months - which they have as they do not have Perm Residency in Canada).

Now for the question - should we ask the Dept of State National Visa Center (NVC) to send all correspondence to my Canadian address where they can then undertake their visa formalities at the US consulate here or keep the UK address and have them travel back for medicals, interviews etc? My worry is that as they do not hold Canadian PR, it could cause issues processing the visa here.

I'm not sure if there are different rules for them if they are no longer in the UK for the best part of the year.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Last edited by jaysangha; Sep 9th 2009 at 2:08 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents petition approved! Help!!

Even though the I-130 was recently approved and sent on to NVC, you realize that a the Immigrant Visa process for a sibling takes around 10 - 12 years, right? Five of those years have passed, but you still have 5 - 7 more years to wait until they actually apply for a visa.

I'd personally wait another few years to see where they will be living at that time, and then notify NVC accordingly, if necessary.

Rene