Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Panicking about visiting home

Panicking about visiting home

Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panicking about visiting home

Depends on the state, there is zero federal requirement to holiday or sick leave.

Some places also include sick leave in the holiday allowance which may also include public holidays and that would be your worse case scenario if you got any at all from day one.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You almost certainly can. Family health insurance is virtually standard, and "change in family circumstances" such as getting married, birth/adoption of a child, change in spouse's employment is grounds for a mid year change in health insurance. You may not be able to get added to your fiancé's insurance until you get married depending on whether his employer's health insurance covers cohabiting partners.
Though that's only if they offer it for spouses/family.

Many places restrict that to people working x hours/x seniority/x number of years service at the company.

It is something that the OP needs to figure out before moving to the US though. Certainly don't want a gap in medical insurance of more than 62 days that is for sure.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by markwm
Many companies give newbies 10 days plus 5 days sickness/personal days and the public holidays. Medical usually kicks in after a probationary period so you'll need to be covered for that time (often 3 months). Use an ex-pat provider (search on here - been posted about recently).

Note that you can always take more time off as unpaid leave. They might not like it but it's your choice. On another note I've hardly taken any time off simply because I still see every weekend as a vacation :-)
Depends on the job. You're certainly not talking about retail/food industry, where the standard is zero going on upwards.

On the unpaid leave, might find your desk cleared and you're sacked on the Monday for trying it.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
On the unpaid leave, might find your desk cleared and you're sacked on the Monday for trying it.
People have done it (to add a few days to a vacation) where I am without a problem. As you say, depends on the company.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Though that's only if they offer it for spouses/family.

Many places restrict that to people working x hours/x seniority/x number of years service at the company. .....
There was another thread on the subject recently where the consensus (there were no dissenters) was that employers who provided health insurance invariably did so for families (dependants) of the employee. While you may be correct in some cases, I sincerely doubt your assertion that it is "many" places, though it has become well known thanks to Obamacare, that it is commonplace, and legally permissible, to not offer health insurance to those working 30 hours or less.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2013 at 12:38 am.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

There was another thread on the subject recently where the consensus (there were no dissenters) was that employers who provided health insurance invariably did so for families (dependants) of the employee. While you may be correct in some cases, I sincerely doubt your assertion that it is "many" places, though it has become well known thanks to Obamacare, that it is commonplace, and legally permissible, to not offer health insurance to those working 30 hours or less.
Okay, I should say I know many places here, where I am and where I have been, that this is the case.

Where the missus is, old contracted employees are entitled to benefits when working 20 hours, but for the last couple of years, benefits are only offered to part timers working 30 hours a week and they only offer family cover to those who are full time, working a average 40 hour week.

Quite a few companies in the area also only offer family cover as part of the benefits package if the person is at x position or above, or has been with the company for a qualifying period such as a year, where they can only get personal coverage for themselves after their probationary 90 days. It's one way many companies here, where I am at least save money on medical insurance while still being able to offer decent insurance to those who have it as they rely on people not sticking around for very long - medical research/programmers etc. The under 5 year old start ups for the most part, but that's a large chunk of the employment sector in some fields.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Okay, I should say I know many places here, where I am and where I have been, that this is the case.

Where the missus is, old contracted employees are entitled to benefits when working 20 hours, but for the last couple of years, benefits are only offered to part timers working 30 hours a week and they only offer family cover to those who are full time, working a average 40 hour week.

Quite a few companies in the area also only offer family cover as part of the benefits package if the person is at x position or above, or has been with the company for a qualifying period such as a year, where they can only get personal coverage for themselves after their probationary 90 days. It's one way many companies here, where I am at least save money on medical insurance while still being able to offer decent insurance to those who have it as they rely on people not sticking around for very long - medical research/programmers etc. The under 5 year old start ups for the most part, but that's a large chunk of the employment sector in some fields.
Very interesting. It sounds like employers are, as was entirely predictable, following the launch of Obamacare, retreating from providing healthcare from any situation where the law does not require it.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Very interesting. It sounds like employers are, as was entirely predictable, following the launch of Obamacare, retreating from providing healthcare from any situation where the law does not require it.
Can't blame Obamacare on this one, this has been happening for years.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Dissenter here, My employer only offers coverage to the employee.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf
I am looking into the K1 route into the US but 2 things are really bothering me, the healthcare (i have crohns disease) and the annual leave...12 days??? I thought 20 days was bad enough juggling time to see each other in the year but how do people cope with the poor leave generally and to visit home occassionally? Are some sectors better for leave than others like in the uk?
I get 23 days a year holiday plus 8 federal holidays and it's going up to 28 days next year. So that's how I cope...

My husband started on 20 days holiday plus federal holidays and is not on 25 days, but his company really doesn't track what holiday he takes all that carefully.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I get 3 weeks but my company also offers 'vacation by up' in addition the vacation I already have I can have a deduction taken from my pay then take extra vacation days and use the money from the deduction to pay myself for the extra days. I have never done this but I know people I work with use it.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:08 am
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, I know I have a lot to think about but as he's in a senior management role for a good company and has good service (and a daughter), It will be me making the move to have a better quality of life than i can give him in the UK as it stands. If it doesn't work out 5/10 years down the line then maybe we can look at coming to the UK. He is based in Perrysberg and looking on the 75 there seems to be many big/reputable companies and I can only hope I won't struggle to find something in terms of employment but the other option I may look it is to study but still on the K1 route to get a recognised qualification of some sort. Need to research that though as work is the ideal. The perception from the UK is that the US is great and good for opportunities and i've a friend currently working in Texas who seems to love it despite the holidays. I guess this is what we need to do to be with our other halves. Scary though!!