British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Panic packing advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/panic-packing-advice-844884/)

Dally Oct 11th 2014 1:45 pm

Panic packing advice

So my other half is here with me at the moment and he's heading home to the USA tomorrow. Originally my thought was to minimise my possessions and send an extra suitcase back each time one of us does the journey.

Trouble is now I'm sat here in panic mode trying to figure out if it's worth it. I don't want to panic pack. I don't want to send stuff I don't really need to because of the cost of the baggage. Some of the sentimental stuff I was going to send won't fit in the bag. Is is cheaper to just wait and send some boxes through a shipping company? Should I bite the bullet and just pack a suitcase worth and at least it's less stuff I need to worry about? Think I've managed to get myself in a tizzy! Anyone have any advice for me?

Pulaski Oct 11th 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Panic packing advice

How much does an extra suitcase cost? If it's £80+ then it probably isn't worth it financially, however if you can get all your stuff into suitcases eventually then it could be worth it just to avoid shipping anything.

Remember there is a high fixed cost to shipping - just having your boxes picked up and delivered is a large part of the cost, so shipping small amounts of stuff becomes disproportionately expensive. So if you're going to ship stuff anyway, putting four or six loads of stuff in suitcases won't save much on your eventual shipping bill.

Sally Redux Oct 11th 2014 4:23 pm

What kind of stuff are you talking about?

sir_eccles Oct 11th 2014 5:05 pm

If you haven't used or worn it in the last 6 months throw it out or sell it.

Exception for obviously sentimental crap.

sherbert Oct 11th 2014 7:40 pm

Moved here with 2 suitcases each, and bought over another extra one last time I was back. Got everything here without having to ship a thing. And it's right, if you haven't touched it for 6 months, you don't need it. Some airlines give you a free 2 suitcase allowance in economy anyway - check that out depending on your airline.

Dally Oct 12th 2014 6:51 am

Thanks for your help guys! I put together another suitcase of stuff (either expensive clothes I'm not wanting to part with) and a bunch of sentimental stuff and we are off to the airport shortly. Thanks again for the advice. I'd got into a bit of a tizz! Lol

Sally Redux Oct 12th 2014 6:54 am

:lol: it's a crazy time. Good luck.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 12th 2014 7:45 am

I packed a week of clothing and donated everything else I owned to a charity thrift store, had nothing sentimental though, just everyday crap mostly.

Dally Oct 12th 2014 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11435858)
I packed a week of clothing and donated everything else I owned to a charity thrift store, had nothing sentimental though, just everyday crap mostly.

I did that in my early 20s when I first moved to the UK. At mid 30s however I'm finding it more difficult haha

petitefrancaise Oct 12th 2014 4:48 pm

I had a good clear out before leaving Europe.... and now after a year in Texas have found that the climate is different enough not to need my "winter" clothes, can't see me wearing the full-length down coat for more than ski hols. Also, dress standards here are "different" to France. I could have left most of my wardrobe behind (sentimental items aside) and just bought new here for about a third of the cost of buying anything in France.