Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Panic - E2 renewal :(

Panic - E2 renewal :(

Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

londontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to all
Default Panic - E2 renewal :(

Firstly, I would like to say hello to all- this is my first post. I have been searching the internet for hours now and came across this site - you all seem like a very friendly and helpful bunch, hence me registering

My I-94 runs out on the 3rd Feb -yes, I know, not long but I stupidly got it into my head that 02/03/2007 was the 2nd March .... forgetting about the fact they switch dates round here.

Thats my first problem - only having around 3 weeks left.

My next problem is business hasn't been too good for us a) because we decided to go into historical restoration (and now realise why nobody else does it and just lets places rot) because the resources for historical restoration are practically non-exsistent and b) every emotional problem that could have happened to our family happened in the last year which set us back (I won't bore you with details of our personal problems!)

So, although we still have a business and are in the middle of a contract with another one lined up for afterwards, we have no money and have not rented any office space.

I am doubtful that our visa will be renewed but I cannot go back to the UK as we have no family there and no-where to live. My little girl has just settled into kindergarten and her grandparents (my parents) live here and I can't take her away from them. They can't sponsor us as they have only had green cards for 3 years (L1 visa oiginally).

Sorry to ramble on in my first post but I have been up the last few nights with worry, cried buckets and don't know what to do

Thank you for reading this.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panic - E2 renewal :(

Originally Posted by londontoatlanta
Firstly, I would like to say hello to all- this is my first post. I have been searching the internet for hours now and came across this site - you all seem like a very friendly and helpful bunch, hence me registering

My I-94 runs out on the 3rd Feb -yes, I know, not long but I stupidly got it into my head that 02/03/2007 was the 2nd March .... forgetting about the fact they switch dates round here.

My next problem is business hasn't been too good for us a) because we decided to go into historical restoration (and now realise why nobody else does it and just lets places rot) because the resources for historical restoration are practically non-exsistent and b) every emotional problem that could have happened to our family happened in the last year which set us back (I won't bore you with details of our personal problems!)

So, although we still have a business and are in the middle of a contract with another one lined up for afterwards, we have no money and have not rented any office space.

I am doubtful that our visa will be renewed but I cannot go back to the UK as we have no family there and no-where to live. My little girl has just settled into kindergarten and her grandparents (my parents) live here and I can't take her away from them. They can't sponsor us as they have only had green cards for 3 years (L1 visa oiginally).

Sorry to ramble on in my first post but I have been up the last few nights with worry, cried buckets and don't know what to do

See a lawyer.

Or

Get used to the idea of moving back to blighty
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

londontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to alllondontoatlanta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
See a lawyer.

Or

:scared:
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:54 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
See a lawyer.

Or

That was helpful. Not.

Okay, firstly welcome to BE. Secondly do see a lawyer and stop panicking. There is a link on here somewhere for a catholic Charity who help out with free advice for immigrants. They are big on immigrants I guess. I am sure somone will post it but I will have a search around for it myself and get back so check this thread. Don't worry, you don't have to be catholic and I am told they are really good. They have an actual law firm that does the work for them so they know what they are taling about.

Try get a good nights sleep. Reading some of the threads on ehre will send you off a treat ha ha. And remember, this country is made of immigrants who battled all of the odds to make a life here. This is a hiccup, granted a biggish hiccup but people have faced worse I am sure. I Still mix those silly dates up and I have been here a few months. I am sure others will post more constructive replies than the first so keep watching this space and good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:57 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go London. Hope this helps. Call them asap and check out the immigration forum on here, there is a good chance somebody else has been in your position so spend some time reading the threads. Bye for mow.

www.catholiccharitiesusa.org
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silly Sod

That was helpful. Not.

Okay, firstly welcome to BE. Secondly do see a lawyer and stop panicking. There is a link on here somewhere for a catholic Charity who help out with free advice for immigrants. They are big on immigrants I guess. I am sure somone will post it but I will have a search around for it myself and get back so check this thread. Don't worry, you don't have to be catholic and I am told they are really good. They have an actual law firm that does the work for them so they know what they are taling about.

Try get a good nights sleep. Reading some of the threads on ehre will send you off a treat ha ha. And remember, this country is made of immigrants who battled all of the odds to make a life here. This is a hiccup, granted a biggish hiccup but people have faced worse I am sure. I Still mix those silly dates up and I have been here a few months. I am sure others will post more constructive replies than the first so keep watching this space and good luck.
Silly Sod, thank you so much for your helpful and kind reply. It is much appreciated.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:00 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod, thank you so much for your helpful and kind reply. It is much appreciated.
no probs. Scroll up for the link to the catholic charity I mentioned.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:56 am
'mon the cowboys

texas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, Welcome to BE.

Secondly, Chill! Nothing is insurmountable in life. "Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye" to quote a good Scottish saying. it sounds to me like you are trying to stay legal, which is admirable, and a lot more than c.95% of the immigrant population by the sound of things.

Thirdly : Your Visa situation is different from your I-94 situation.
I'm on an E visa and my visa is for 10 years. Not sure how long yours is for, and if your visa is about to expire then that is a different kettle of fish. However, when I enter the US (which I do frequently), a new I-94 is stapled into my passport with 2 years validity.
If it is only the I-94 that is expiring, you have a few options:
1) leave the US and re-enter before your current I-94 runs out. You surrender your I-94 at the port of exit, and get a new one stamped up for 2 years when you enter. Even if your visa is due to expire during the next 2 years, your !-94 covers you for the full 2 years, not until the visa expires.
2) Apply for an extension. see here: hereYou can do this yourself by filing an I-129 extension. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-129.pdf
This will cost you $200.
Or get a lawyer to do it for you. It should not be much more than $500 I believe. I can recommend http://www.fragomen.com

Obviously Option 1 is the easiest.

My wife applied for an extension on 1st Dec (her I-94 was going to run out on the 13th Dec). We received the official I-797 which contains a new I-94 today, but we were notified between Christmas and New Year that the application was accepted.
You can stay as long as the application for extension has been filed.

HTH,
C

Last edited by texas_ranger; Jan 11th 2007 at 1:39 am. Reason: added option 1 as the preferred option
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Post an intro in the intro section...and ask your questions in the visa/immigration forums for more help.

That border hopping option, you'd have to be gone for at least 3 days...but don't know how that would apply for an E visa.

It probably would be a good idea to speak to a good immigration lawyer, one of those charities might help, but they tend to be best with family based issues and not deal with so not have a clue about business based visas.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Just wanted to say Welcome.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:44 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

There is also a forum which has a whole area specific to E2 visas called The Florida Forum

It doesn't matter that you're not in Florida, the help you need will be there, because so many others are in the same situation as you. Have a look at the E2 area.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
There is also a forum which has a whole area specific to E2 visas called The Florida Forum

It doesn't matter that you're not in Florida, the help you need will be there, because so many others are in the same situation as you. Have a look at the E2 area.
Thank you everyone for your advice and warm welcome. It has been uplifting. I'm so glad I found this place
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your advice and warm welcome. It has been uplifting. I'm so glad I found this place
Welcome to BE. remember. do it properly, don't cut corners, cos the immigration are just looking for an excuse.Do it all above board even if it costs you a bit. It will also give you will be piece of mind.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Welcome to BE. remember. do it properly, don't cut corners, cos the immigration are just looking for an excuse.Do it all above board even if it costs you a bit. It will also give you will be piece of mind.
Thats exactly what I want to do The more people who do it illegally, the harder it will make it for those who want to be legal. My american friends and neighbours are astounded when I tell them how hard it is to stay legally.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Thats exactly what I want to do The more people who do it illegally, the harder it will make it for those who want to be legal. My american friends and neighbours are astounded when I tell them how hard it is to stay legally.
Good Luck, get good advice as suggested ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.