British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pallet Shipping from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pallet-shipping-uk-881884/)

Mangaboy84 Aug 16th 2016 8:40 am

Pallet Shipping from UK

Hi

Does anyone on the forums have experience with shipping personal items using a pallet?

I was planing on sending my stuff via airfreight using the wiki guide (Fast Lane) on this site but the same company can send stuff using pallets also which would save me money buying new tool chests if i can ship my own.

I need a euro pallet and it needs to be heat treated i believe (ISPM15?) so any suggestions where to get one from Hampshire area or Berkshire area

Can i use fabric straps like trucks use to strap the load down or do i need something better?

is there anything else I'm missing?

thanks for the assistance

Pulaski Aug 16th 2016 11:09 am

Re: Pallet Shipping from UK

Personally I'd use a plastic pallet - Google is your friend, but here is one UK supplier. There's a filter at the bottom of the screen, and I think you're looking for a 1,000 × 1,200 pallet.

Mangaboy84 Aug 16th 2016 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12027685)
Personally I'd use a plastic pallet

glad i asked, never even thought about them, that would stop any problems with the pallet sitting in the garage before i send it.

Pulaski Aug 16th 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84 (Post 12027708)
glad i asked, never even thought about them, that would stop any problems with the pallet sitting in the garage before i send it.

Well the concern with a wooden pallet is that it could carry fungus, algae, spores, insects, or other biological contamination, but those problems are largely absent with a plastic pallet - it just needs to be clean, so just brush or hose it off before you load it.

ottotheboar Aug 17th 2016 12:18 pm

It may be worth getting a quote from DHL economy air freight.
I just paid 370 UK pounds for a 77x64x92 box weight 210kg door to door including customs clearance.
Ocean freight into Charleston was
25 pounds export clearance if needed and 10 pounds export docs.
AMS fee $55
Ocean freight $50
Warehousing $255
Customs clearance $125
Single entry bond $150
Presentation of the bond $145
If you find some heat treated and stamped 2x4s you can use ply which is exempt to make a crate.

Pulaski Aug 17th 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ottotheboar (Post 12028518)
It may be worth getting a quote from DHL economy air freight.
I just paid 370 UK pounds for a 77x64x92 box weight 210kg .....

I used a local (to the UK pick-up point) freight forwarder to ship several tool boxes that I inherited from my father. I asked for surface shipment, but because of the relatively small size I was recommended to use airfrieght. I can't recall what it cost, maybe around £400; it was ten years ago.

Mangaboy84 Aug 17th 2016 4:13 pm

hmmm another good idea, use wood to create a box around it all instead of using straps and plastic wrap

I'll talk to dhl anyway too, fast lane came back saying it had to be wood, not plastic but I've asked them to clarify why?

sir_eccles Aug 17th 2016 6:15 pm

This thread reminds me I still have half a dozen boxes at my parents' house that need shipping.

I think palletizing would be best. I'll need someone to come to the house and load the pallet up and wrap it for my parents. Any recommendations? Preferably Manchester area?