British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Packing Pictures (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/packing-pictures-802604/)

freerskier Jul 11th 2013 5:07 pm

Packing Pictures

OK,

Just assessing what to pack and what not to pack as well as how to take some things.

Heres the dumb question from a newbie - Is it stupid to take take framed pictures. Wrapped in bubble wrap of course.

In reality is it better, especially for the larger pieces, to roll them up and pack them into postal tubes - less space and weigh hence cost to ship.

Just wondered what peoples advices and experiences were here.

Pulaski Jul 11th 2013 5:21 pm

Re: Packing Pictures

The framed "wall art" pictures we brought were packed and shipped in individual framed picture boxes. Smaller framed family photos were bubble wrapped and packed in a single shipping box.

Yorkieabroad Jul 11th 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by freerskier (Post 10795422)
OK,

Just assessing what to pack and what not to pack as well as how to take some things.

Heres the dumb question from a newbie - Is it stupid to take take framed pictures. Wrapped in bubble wrap of course.

In reality is it better, especially for the larger pieces, to roll them up and pack them into postal tubes - less space and weigh hence cost to ship.

Just wondered what peoples advices and experiences were here.

Not a silly question at all! We brought ours - the small ones were paper and bubble wrapped, the larger normal sized ones went in picture boxes, and we had a couple that were non-standard shape/size that the movers made a specific wood/plywood crate for. All of them got here fine.

celticgrid Jul 11th 2013 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10795523)
Not a silly question at all! We brought ours - the small ones were paper and bubble wrapped, the larger normal sized ones went in picture boxes, and we had a couple that were non-standard shape/size that the movers made a specific wood/plywood crate for. All of them got here fine.

Ditto this.

As the original question asks about cheaper costs, I would note that in my experience getting anything custom framed here is very expensive, so you could save money on shipping and then pay more than that to get stuff re-framed.

sir_eccles Jul 11th 2013 6:59 pm

Are we talking valued framed artwork? If so consider professional packing.

Non-professional tips include covering the surface of the glass in packing tape as this keeps it together should it break. Placing a sheet of hardboard front and back is a good idea as it prevents things spearing the picture.

Bob Jul 11th 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 10795541)
Ditto this.

As the original question asks about cheaper costs, I would note that in my experience getting anything custom framed here is very expensive, so you could save money on shipping and then pay more than that to get stuff re-framed.

Depends...usually get massive sales on for places like Michaels and the other craft shops.

Also some small indie art galleries can be pretty cheap too. Does quickly mount up though that's for sure.

freerskier Jul 11th 2013 9:09 pm

All good stuff - and thanks so much.

Mind if I change tack?

Here's another dilemma - its a bit techy - I have my PC but clearly it would be dumb to take it but a friend said. Remove the hard drive (complete with Windows, data files, music documents etc), take it on as carry on. Then once state side, get a PC built but supply your hard drive(s).

you may be aking why not just back it up onto an external drive. Well, yeah. Could do. Only thing is I have tons of music, plus original compositions in propiretary formats on the hard drive.

Anyway, that's about it for dilemma number 2.

Pulaski Jul 11th 2013 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by freerskier (Post 10795749)
..... Here's another dilemma - its a bit techy - I have my PC but clearly it would be dumb to take it but a friend said. Remove the hard drive (complete with Windows, data files, music documents etc), take it on as carry on. Then once state side, get a PC built but supply your hard drive(s).

you may be aking why not just back it up onto an external drive. Well, yeah. Could do. Only thing is I have tons of music, plus original compositions in propiretary formats on the hard drive. ....

Certainly your plan would likely work, though I would make at least one additional back-up copy of your files otherwise you'll be risking losing everything to loss of, or damage to, your hard drive. Cloud-based back-up might be a good alternative, or addition, to a thumb drive.

MsElui Jul 11th 2013 10:02 pm

Our pc was a 'dual power source' as read on the label, so we brought the pc here cut of the uk plug and replaced with a us plug and it worked fine. Initially we brought converters and plugged the screens into those before plugging into sockets but we didn't have a shipping limit so you could buy screens here easily enough.

Sheepdip Jul 11th 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by freerskier (Post 10795749)
All good stuff - and thanks so much.

Mind if I change tack?

Here's another dilemma - its a bit techy - I have my PC but clearly it would be dumb to take it but a friend said. Remove the hard drive (complete with Windows, data files, music documents etc), take it on as carry on. Then once state side, get a PC built but supply your hard drive(s).

you may be aking why not just back it up onto an external drive. Well, yeah. Could do. Only thing is I have tons of music, plus original compositions in propiretary formats on the hard drive.

Anyway, that's about it for dilemma number 2.

We packed all our pictures in bubble wrap then into the moving boxes with lots of foam peanuts - didn't have a single issue.

With the PC(s) we did exactly that. Brought four or five hard drives as hand luggage. Got a bit of a strange look at security but they fully appreciated what we were doing when explained. In hind sight I should have shipped the PC case (sans HDDs) as it was a rack server. Oh, and we did ship the LCD monitor too.

Bob Jul 13th 2013 4:07 am

The PC will be fine, just get a new power cord for it.

Still worth backing up online. Can use Adrive.com and get 50gb free, or stuff like copy.com which starts you out with 15gb free, but easy enough to increase that.