Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PA Learner's Permit (medical exam without insurance)

PA Learner's Permit (medical exam without insurance)

Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PA Learner's Permit (medical exam without insurance)

An International Permit is basically a translation, so for UK purposes pretty irrelevant.

I would go with the what it says on the DMV web site, probably not what you have been told.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
PA will honour a foreign license for up to a year but I was told that the UK license had to be backed up by an international one, .
This isnt required for UK licences - as i think has already been said its a translation more than anything. It isnt a legal document per se, all in all pretty worthless!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:40 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
This isnt required for UK licences - as i think has already been said its a translation more than anything. It isnt a legal document per se, all in all pretty worthless!
Unfortunately, where I live the Drivers license centre are like little Hitlers and when I took my test they wanted to see both as I had been resident for longer than 60 days. If I had taken the test within the 60 days they only wanted a UK license.
Wether they are right or wrong I can't say but if you don't do things their way you don't get the license.
When I took my learners permit I had to produce proof of residency....utility bills and a copy of my visa, passport, a letter from OH's employer saying he would be employed for at least 12 months, the original H1B papers. They took copies of all of this which I was not happy about because I don't think they will keep those copies locked up. I imagine anyone who works there will have access to them.
But I wanted to get my license so I left that battle unfought.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, where I live the Drivers license centre are like little Hitlers and when I took my test they wanted to see both as I had been resident for longer than 60 days. If I had taken the test within the 60 days they only wanted a UK license.
Wether they are right or wrong I can't say but if you don't do things their way you don't get the license.
When I took my learners permit I had to produce proof of residency....utility bills and a copy of my visa, passport, a letter from OH's employer saying he would be employed for at least 12 months, the original H1B papers. They took copies of all of this which I was not happy about because I don't think they will keep those copies locked up. I imagine anyone who works there will have access to them.
But I wanted to get my license so I left that battle unfought.
I never mentioned my UK License, in CO not relevant YMMV
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Pat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to all

Thanks for the information, folks! It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment, I doubt I'll get it done in time but at least I know where to start.

I've also been told I'll need to get state license plates so I can get insurance. Does anyone know if this is true? We moved here (PA) from Indiana so the car has Indiana plates and is currently on my father-in-law's insurance.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:27 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pat Noodle
Thanks for the information, folks! It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment, I doubt I'll get it done in time but at least I know where to start.

I've also been told I'll need to get state license plates so I can get insurance. Does anyone know if this is true? We moved here (PA) from Indiana so the car has Indiana plates and is currently on my father-in-law's insurance.
It might tell you how to do that on the Penndot site.

www.dot.state.pa.us
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

It might tell you how to do that on the Penndot site.

www.dot.state.pa.us
As Doris says - look at the dot site. The only thing is - is the title in your name? I think you might have to deal with that first before you can change the plate and get insurance (if it turns out you need to do that).
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't hardly understand the whole registration/insurance/buying a car in PA thing.. it seems to say you must take proof of insurance when you buy the car.. but isn't the insurance linked to the car? So how can you get the insurance before you buy the car?

Anyhow, not worried about the medical before learner's permit now - had a look, and you can basically get anyone to sign it, so I'll just have the NP I will be working with sign it off for me.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by augigi
I still don't hardly understand the whole registration/insurance/buying a car in PA thing.. it seems to say you must take proof of insurance when you buy the car.. but isn't the insurance linked to the car? So how can you get the insurance before you buy the car?

Anyhow, not worried about the medical before learner's permit now - had a look, and you can basically get anyone to sign it, so I'll just have the NP I will be working with sign it off for me.
Actually, insurance is as much linked to the owner as the car - that's why we can use our personal auto insurance when we rent a car in the US. So yes, if you have never owned a car here, you should contact insurance companies first. Then you have 30 days (I think) after purchasing the car to notify the insurance company. I assume you've seen this http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...fs-buysell.pdf
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the driver is insured rather than the vehicle.. oh, well that makes sense now! Thanks. I have seen that document, but it didn't make much sense to me - it says you don't buy the plates with the car, but then it says you can't drive without plates... so it's all a mystery.

Nevermind, maybe it'll make more sense when I get there!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the driver is insured rather than the vehicle.. oh, well that makes sense now! Thanks. I have seen that document, but it didn't make much sense to me - it says you don't buy the plates with the car, but then it says you can't drive without plates... so it's all a mystery.

Nevermind, maybe it'll make more sense when I get there!
When you buy a car the dealer issue you with temporary plates. This is a piece of paper which you stick in the rear window of your car until the vehicle's plates are received.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

What about if you buy a second hand car privately? I plan to buy a cheapish car in cash when I first get there.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

What about if you buy a second hand car privately? I plan to buy a cheapish car in cash when I first get there.
Fifty states, fifty answers.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

You may notice this thread is about PA.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Personally, I'd still buy from a dealer. Unless you get to know someone who has done this before and can walk you through the procedure you probably don't need the hassle. I wouldn't feel comfortable coming to a new country and ensuring that the title etc are valid. I have purchased a used car from a private individual, but already had plates and insurance (in that case we just went off to AAA to do the transfer).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.