Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PA Learner's Permit (medical exam without insurance)

PA Learner's Permit (medical exam without insurance)

Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Pat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to all
Default PA Learner's Permit (medical exam without insurance)

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Philadelphia area I can get an inexpensive medical exam for a learner's permit WITHOUT medical insurance? I was thinking of some place like Medcheck but I've searched and came up blank. Or should I just head to the nearest doctor and cough up the dough? My insurance doesn't kick in until mid-December and I need to get my learner's permit in the next two weeks.

Also, is it legal to drive in other states with a learner's permit, or only the state it was issued?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PA Learner's Permit (medical exam without insurance)

Originally Posted by Pat Noodle View Post
Does anyone know of anywhere in the Philadelphia area I can get an inexpensive medical exam for a learner's permit WITHOUT medical insurance? I was thinking of some place like Medcheck but I've searched and came up blank. Or should I just head to the nearest doctor and cough up the dough? My insurance doesn't kick in until mid-December and I need to get my learner's permit in the next two weeks.

Also, is it legal to drive in other states with a learner's permit, or only the state it was issued?

Thanks in advance!
Dont know the state rules but do you have a UK licence as you can drive on that. Then just take the test in PA and hey presto!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!
You need a medical exam?

Never heard of that, learn something every day.

As far as clinics, focus on those that help the Hispanic community.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Pat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Dont know the state rules but do you have a UK licence as you can drive on that. Then just take the test in PA and hey presto!
Wish I could but I've been in the USA since September 2006 and don't have an international license.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could but I've been in the USA since September 2006 and don't have an international license.
Forget about an international license...it means nothing here. Do you have a UK license?

I have never heard of anyone having a medical for a drivers license...are you sure about this?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough

Don't know about PA, but I was driving happily in Ohio on a British licence, no international permit required.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Werrf View Post
Don't know about PA, but I was driving happily in Ohio on a British licence, no international permit required.
If you absolutely need a learner's permit in PA (which you probably will if you haven't applied for a license within 60 days of moving into the state), you do need the form signed by a doctor. I am 99% sure that you can drive out of state on a PA learner's permit, but the people who would know this (i.e. my children) aren't here at the moment.

Don't forget, though, that once you have the permit you can take the road test without the "practice driving" requirement, assuming you're over 18.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How strange. Appears it's compulsory for learners in PA.

If I were you, I'd pop into three local PCPs and ask for a cash quote for doing the certification. Take the cheapest.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:47 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Forget about an international license...it means nothing here. Do you have a UK license?

I have never heard of anyone having a medical for a drivers license...are you sure about this?
Yes, here in PA you need to have a medical first. It was very basic though.
PA will honour a foreign license for up to a year but I was told that the UK license had to be backed up by an international one, so we just sent off to the AA for them.
Having got the learners permit there was then a five week wait for a test slot, which was a disappointment as I was all fired up and wanted to take the test then.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris View Post
Yes, here in PA you need to have a medical first. It was very basic though.
PA will honour a foreign license for up to a year but I was told that the UK license had to be backed up by an international one, so we just sent off to the AA for them.
Having got the learners permit there was then a five week wait for a test slot, which was a disappointment as I was all fired up and wanted to take the test then.
Drives me mad all the different laws, rules and reg. for all the states...so confusing. Then if you move from state to state you have to go through it all again...what's that all about?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:56 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Drives me mad all the different laws, rules and reg. for all the states...so confusing. Then if you move from state to state you have to go through it all again...what's that all about?
I don't get that either. Yield means yield everywhere and no-one bothers anyway.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, so if you have an overseas license, and you apply for a PA license within 60days of moving to PA, you don't need the medical examination?? Or am I confused again?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:51 am
Who?

Originally Posted by augigi View Post
Wait, so if you have an overseas license, and you apply for a PA license within 60days of moving to PA, you don't need the medical examination?? Or am I confused again?
PA will honour an overseas license for up to a year, otherwise you have to apply for a PA license within 60 days.
Whenever you apply....within 60 days or at the end of a year, you still need the medical exam.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jumping doris View Post
PA will honour an overseas license for up to a year, otherwise you have to apply for a PA license within 60 days.
Whenever you apply....within 60 days or at the end of a year, you still need the medical exam.
I thought if you did it within 60 days you could just get away with the eye exam? Like with an out-of-state license? Although I don't know whether in that case you'd have to surrender your foreign license.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:50 am
Who?

Originally Posted by jenniferpa View Post
I thought if you did it within 60 days you could just get away with the eye exam? Like with an out-of-state license? Although I don't know whether in that case you'd have to surrender your foreign license.
It all depends on the visa you are here on. There are lists on the website and they tell you what you need to produce to get your learners permit.
I think that if you are a non us person you have to go the medical route because you don't already have a US license, wether you apply within 60 days or not.

When we first arrived we were told that without an international permit to support our UK license we only had 60 days and we had to do the whole medical bit. With an international permit we had a year but still needed the medical.
Having said that,I tended to get different answers on some things every time I rang the driver helpline thingy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.