British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   P85 - Leaving the UK & getting tax back (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/p85-leaving-uk-getting-tax-back-808566/)

civilservant Sep 8th 2013 3:41 pm

P85 - Leaving the UK & getting tax back

Hi all,

I completed a P85 and filed it with my P45 before I left the UK.

Can anyone tell me how long their tax took to be repaid? Just curious really, Im sure itll be 6 month or more knowing HMRC!

Ta :)

HartleyHare Sep 8th 2013 4:31 pm

Re: P85 - Leaving the UK & getting tax back

Snap! We left in June, but didn't send the form in until the end of July as my husband's P45 had gone missing. We had a letter this week from the tax office to say that we have to complete self assessment forms. This may well be to do with the fact that we are renting our UK house out. I have a horrible feeling that we will not get any tax rebate on UK salary earned this tax year until we submit our UK tax return in 2014. I am assuming they want to see if we owe any UK tax on our rental. Bah humbug :sneaky:

civilservant Sep 8th 2013 4:35 pm

Out of interst, was the letter sent to your residence abroad?

HartleyHare Sep 8th 2013 4:37 pm

The letter was re-directed from out UK address. :)

rpjs Sep 8th 2013 5:30 pm

Took a couple of months for us, but as we'd sold our UK house there was no especially complicating factors for us.

civilservant Sep 8th 2013 5:37 pm

Shouldn't be for me either, no assets remaining in the UK and I earned just under the tax threshold in the 6 months in this tax year. Hopefully it'll be that quick.

civilservant Sep 28th 2013 9:49 pm

Just to wrap the thread up, I received the refund into my bank account as an eCheque last Thursday - it'll take 4 days to clear.

So it took them about a month to process it.

HartleyHare Sep 28th 2013 11:05 pm

Great news:thumbsup:

We have not heard anything other than we have to complete self assessment forms for the 2013-2014 tax year. Oh what fun....

HartleyHare Sep 30th 2013 5:33 pm

Just an update in case anyone else is/will be in the same situation. We received a letter from HMRC today to say that we would not get a tax rebate until we submit our 2013/2014 self assessment forms next year. Bit irritating as hubby only worked 3 months of this tax year and we already know that there will be very little taxable income from the rental of the UK property. Oh well, something to look forward to next year then.