Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

P85 and HMRC

P85 and HMRC

Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:41 am
Just Joined

dolega1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P85 and HMRC

Up until I moved across to the US I never had to file a tax return with HMRC as my income/taxes were settled through PAYE. It was all basic income. I moved out to the USA back in 2009 but overlooked the fact that I needed to file a P85 with HMRC. Notwithstanding getting a possible refund the last tax year before crossing the pond, is the lack of filing a P85 a big deal and should I have started filing UK tax returns since emigrating, despite having worked in the US since early 2010 with tax deducted in the US?
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P85 and HMRC

Essentially it is not a big deal, if you have no UK income since leaving. You are not required to "file a return" annually in the way a US citizen would if abroad. If you send in the p85 now, you might still get a refund (or a bill) for the year you left - I don't know for sure. Unless you had income which has not been taxed, not likely to be an issue.

What happened to the P45 from your final job? The employer would have sent in their copy, and it should match up with your copy, either via a new employer or with your P85 attached.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

dolega1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
Essentially it is not a big deal, if you have no UK income since leaving. You are not required to "file a return" annually in the way a US citizen would if abroad. If you send in the p85 now, you might still get a refund (or a bill) for the year you left - I don't know for sure. Unless you had income which has not been taxed, not likely to be an issue.

What happened to the P45 from your final job? The employer would have sent in their copy, and it should match up with your copy, either via a new employer or with your P85 attached.
Thanks for your reply. The only UK income will have been from my tiny 300GBP HSBC account (but even then, the interest will have been taxed at source). My P45 is with my parents in the UK. Assuming I go ahead and file the P85, should I attach the P45 as well? In truth, I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lie, if it means no unintended consequences.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

You can get tax refunds (or bills) for up to four years from the end of the tax year. I found out my company had been paying too much tax on my pension for years and could only claim so many years back
Old Oct 10th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get the figures off the P45, you can work out what the refund is roughly. If it was me I'd do it. Fill the P85, send to parents, have them attach one copy and send it in. Cost of 2 stamps. Gain maybe 500 quid if salary around 20k, more for higher salary.