Oz or USA

Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz or USA

Originally Posted by tabskitten
not possible!!
surpringly true

And I was thinking train as a public transport option for that kind of distance.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

not possible!!
Unbelievably New Jersey has more rain than the UK. The difference is most of ours is in the spring and summer...but it usually comes in torrential overnight storms...not days on end of grey drizzle.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
surpringly true

And I was thinking train as a public transport option for that kind of distance.
Cheaper to drive by a large amount so was never an option over here anyway!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is a question which will get you a one size fits all answer.

I'm Australian, have lived in the UK and currently live in the USA. Out of the 3 countries I would choose the USA. However, and this is a big however, this only works for us because my husband is able to earn a reasonable salary and get healthcare provided by his company.

I think the reality of coming to the USA and getting a job is quite slim, no matter how motivated or multi-skilled your might be. It is an awful job market out there. 4 years ago when I first started looking I had people swarming all over me. We relocated to Northern California a year ago, and I am lucky to find 1 job a week on Craigslist that would suit my qualifications, and I am in a skilled job as I am an Accountant. All things considered the job market for me is probably stronger here in Silicon Valley that it would be in other locales in the US.

In good times, I think the US is the place where you can get ahead financially. However, in bad times, like we are experiencing now, it is probably the worst place to be. You might want to read the thread in the Trailer Park about layoffs. Just about everyone on this board has been hit. You do not want to be in the US without medical coverage.

At least if you go to Australia you would have medical provided. However, one thing you do have to realise is nothing is forever. Nothing wrong with going to Oz for now with the idea in a few years you might relocate to the USA.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vicky88

At least if you go to Australia you would have medical provided. However, one thing you do have to realise is nothing is forever. Nothing wrong with going to Oz for now with the idea in a few years you might relocate to the USA.
apart from it seems it will take us a few years to get in to Oz!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Good post, Vicky88.. I'd add too, that OP's business isn't an automatic 'go' everywhere.. some markets in the US (or Oz I'm sure) are going to be more receptive than others. Some markets are already totally saturated (we've got 5 massage schools in spitting distance here and you can't shake a stick w/out running into a cheap student deal or any specialty you can think of).
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:37 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
New England is as humid as hell and it rains more here than it does in England
And during winter's cold as hell as well. Geez you just get the *best* of both extremes. But I like the Northeast (New England + New York State, + maybe Pennsylvania as well), there's just more history, culture, and people are down to earth. If I were to choose a place to settle in, it'll be either that or the Bay area (Southern Cali's not really my thing...living in the same city as Paris Hilton's NOT an exciting thing to me)
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

apart from it seems it will take us a few years to get in to Oz!!
WAiting a couple of years is not the end of the world. Better to take it slow and surely than rush into something that may be a gigantic disaster.

I think a lot of people have the fantasy of moving to California, but the reality is California is an expensive place to live. Taxes are high, property to rent or buy is expensive, Southern California especially is reeling from the economic downturn. You might think a $100k is a good wage, but let me tell you the 2 of you would likely struggle on that amount in most places in California.

Take a look at Craigslist at rental prices in San Francisco. If you can get anything under $1800 for a desirable area of the city you will be lucky. We rent a 3 bed house in Silicon Valley and pay $3,000 a month. My husband makes more than $100k but we have decided to downsize because the rent we pay combined with utilities is consuming too much of our income. Even if you get medical provided, don't think it is free. We are on a PPO Plus plan and this year alone, since 1 Jan I have forked out $170 for prescriptions and $700 for various medical care, and that is just for myself.

If you are coming to California you had better have deep pockets. Also unless your husband has a job or has worked here recently will he be entitled to any unemployment benefits?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
And during winter's cold as hell as well. Geez you just get the *best* of both extremes.
True

It's not all bad though, you do get used to the cold, it's just it dragging on forever that gets a little annoying, and then the mud season making everything brown...spring is amazing here, shame it only lasts a week...and autumns are superb too
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vicky88
WAiting a couple of years is not the end of the world. Better to take it slow and surely than rush into something that may be a gigantic disaster.

I think a lot of people have the fantasy of moving to California, but the reality is California is an expensive place to live. Taxes are high, property to rent or buy is expensive, Southern California especially is reeling from the economic downturn. You might think a $100k is a good wage, but let me tell you the 2 of you would likely struggle on that amount in most places in California.

Take a look at Craigslist at rental prices in San Francisco. If you can get anything under $1800 for a desirable area of the city you will be lucky. We rent a 3 bed house in Silicon Valley and pay $3,000 a month. My husband makes more than $100k but we have decided to downsize because the rent we pay combined with utilities is consuming too much of our income. Even if you get medical provided, don't think it is free. We are on a PPO Plus plan and this year alone, since 1 Jan I have forked out $170 for prescriptions and $700 for various medical care, and that is just for myself.

If you are coming to California you had better have deep pockets. Also unless your husband has a job or has worked here recently will he be entitled to any unemployment benefits?
What kind of lifestyle are you expecting that you think you are struggling?? Our house-hold income is probably similar to yours and we have a kid. We are able to live a comfortable life in San Francisco. Admittedly we pay less rent than you are for your house - $2300 for a 3 bed/2bth house in the Sunset district.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:39 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Within San Francisco the city itself, it gets very cloudy and windy all the time, as people who live in the Bay area can tell you. However, there are other areas in the Bay area that are warmer/sunnier during the year.
Originally Posted by wordfool
Indeed... if you need sun do not live in the city of SF, unless perhaps you can secure a place in SOMA or the Mission. The summer weather in much of the city is often miserable (think very little sun, lots of gray, windy and chilly), made worse by weather forecasts reminding you how spectacularly hot and sunny it is just 10 miles away.

Best climate/civilization balance in the Bay Area IMO is on the peninsula south of Burlingame.
I've got to say that I find SF weather pretty good - I live up in the Marina and I find most days are pretty sunny. There are micro-climates around SF due to the hills, Pacific & Bay, over in the Sunset it often seems quite foggy and you get the summer fog finger coming in under the GG Bridge, but its not all like that - one advantage is that it rarely ever gets too hot to go our and do stuff, whereas further inland such as Sac it can be too damned hot to do much in the summer.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the helpful replies.....

I must say that it slightly amuses me how people tend to assume that those with ideas of moving away from England are going so on some misguided impression that life will somehow be rosey and easier elsewhere.

I am not green enough to think that England is the only country struggling at the moment, and to be honest my own business is doing well and i am blissfully happy in all other aspects of my life. I am not however going to let a recession or fear of succeeding elsewhere scare me off going something with my life that I want to.

And that, all of my adult life, has been to live somewhere where the sun shines more than 3 days a year!!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian1976
What kind of lifestyle are you expecting that you think you are struggling?? Our house-hold income is probably similar to yours and we have a kid. We are able to live a comfortable life in San Francisco. Admittedly we pay less rent than you are for your house - $2300 for a 3 bed/2bth house in the Sunset district.
Ah yes but you have a kid and therefore probably pay less taxes than we do. Run your income thru a tax program and see what the difference is between having a child to deduct or just a spouse and you will see a difference.

Obviously we have difference expectations on areas to live etc., because if I lived in SF I wouldn't live in the Sunset District, I would more likely live in Nob Hill, Russian Hill, North Beach etc. Main reason for this is not having children means we aren't really all that into the suburban life. We much prefer being able to walk to restaurants and coffee shops, the leafy suburbs with play groups and parks for the littlies to wander around have zero interest for us.

Also SV is very different from SF in that there is little to no public transport. That means having to run two cars, extra insurance, running costs etc.

We aren't on the breadline, but we are certainly not living it high. That said we do what we want when we want. Went to Hong Kong for Christmas, just back from a week in Hawaii, much of it due to freebies accumulated from credit card points.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We have been looking into San Fran area as it seems the IT market is more of a viable option in that area.........
SF has a winter. It's not SoCal. Fog and cold and rain do exist outside the UK!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
SF has a winter. It's not SoCal. Fog and cold and rain do exist outside the UK!
Have to agree with you on the weather differential. WE moved from SoCal to NoCal a year ago and have been freezing our butts off ever since. Can't believe the amount of rain we have seen the past few months and seems like the heater is continually cranked up. We had to buy a ton of winter clothing to suit the new climate. However, would add it has never been as cold as it used to get in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.