Oz or USA

Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice
Default Re: Oz or USA

Of course i will work?!?!?

I can be much more flexible through- i am a persoanl trainer, massage therapist , nutritionist and have my own catering business so i can set up pretty much anyplace and have been successful in both rural and urban areas....

We are getting married in June......

Will look at Arizona......any opinions on there?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabskitten
Golf and/or shopping malls. And a lot of empty desert.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:53 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
Depends what you want to do, what sort of place you want to live, how much beer you want to drink... you're talking apples and oranges.

Oz has the more vibrant economy right now, but for a country of only 20 million people versus a country of 300 million that's not saying much (but will probably get you a job easier). Moving to a country geographically as big as Oz or the USA from lil old Britain is daunting. The US is all the more daunting if you factor in its social and political size, whereas Oz is arguably socially and politically "smaller" than the UK. Apples and oranges.
Very very true.
I'm from the Uk, married to an American and living in northern California. Summers are very hot, winters are mild. SAD still applies even in summer because most people dont' go outside because it's too hot in the summer. San Fransisco is much cooler by the coast. I really love it there as it feels much more cosmopolitan than other cities.

Having travelled extensively, and spent long periods of time in Australia. America, Spain and UK, if I could choose anywhere to live, I'd want to live in Australia - I'm particularly fond of Melbourne and Adelaide.
I'm living in America because my husband is American and has children and an elderly parent.

I see Australia as a halfway house between the UK and the USA - It's got more of a social life like the UK than west coast USA, but it has the space of the US.
I'd love to be able to live so close to the water... and virtually everywhere in Aus that's populated is close to teh beach!

Hope this helps you some... I could talk about it all day, if you want more info, PM me....
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

mickybrit will become famous soon enough

I live in the USA and have lived in Australia.

Australia wins hands down. ( not saying USA is bad)

I recommend the south coast of Australia around Melbourne, the humidity is not so bad.

I'm not sure if your sad will be cured, once you acclimatize to the warmer climate you will feel the cold of winter and the shorter days.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Within San Francisco the city itself, it gets very cloudy and windy all the time, as people who live in the Bay area can tell you. However, there are other areas in the Bay area that are warmer/sunnier during the year.
Indeed... if you need sun do not live in the city of SF, unless perhaps you can secure a place in SOMA or the Mission. The summer weather in much of the city is often miserable (think very little sun, lots of gray, windy and chilly), made worse by weather forecasts reminding you how spectacularly hot and sunny it is just 10 miles away.

Best climate/civilization balance in the Bay Area IMO is on the peninsula south of Burlingame.

Arizona? Generally very hot in summer and too much bland suburbanitis (Phoenix and its burbs are hell on earth as far as I'm concerned). The prettiest and most liveable parts geographically also tend to be more remote and far less cosmopolitan in my experience.

I love Australia and have a lot of connections there. Love Adelaide and Perth area. Love the great outdoors. Not so fussed about Smelly. But the only place I have not gone stir-crazy after a few weeks is Sydney because it's the only truely cosmpolitan city IMO. The rest are nice but feel just a little too detached from the rest of the world, giving them a strangely provincial feeling.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't lived there, but been quite a few times, the inlaws live in SoCal and I would never want to live there!

Arizona is a beautiful State (IMHO) hot, but not very humid, lots of different areas, depending on what you are looking for, we have friends that live in a city there and love it, and we have friends that live closer to the edge and they love it too.

Go to Citydata.com and check out some different States, you can ask Q's on there and usually get experienced responses
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickybrit
I live in the USA and have lived in Australia.

Australia wins hands down. ( not saying USA is bad)

I recommend the south coast of Australia around Melbourne, the humidity is not so bad.

I'm not sure if your sad will be cured, once you acclimatize to the warmer climate you will feel the cold of winter and the shorter days.
Can you give any reasons why Oz wins?
Also if the question was USA or UK?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I am not really a city person
ideally it would be somewhere that my oh could commute into one in order to work.........
how long of a commute would you be willing to put up with is a key question here?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
how long of a commute would you be willing to put up with is a key question here?

when we lived in bristol he happily commuted an hour or over to work in bath so i would say an hour is reasonable......
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Belgium
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:40 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

My impression of Arizona (And Nevada, where Las Vegas is) is that it's very dry during summer, and not much rain during winter. It's the opposite of the East Coast and Florida during summer. Southern California, even in L.A. which is at the West coast, is still dry, but not as much as Arizona.

Arizona does look very pretty the 1-2 times I was there, a lot of outdoor rocks/mountains to explore.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

when we lived in bristol he happily commuted an hour or over to work in bath so i would say an hour is reasonable......
bit easier when your moving in that hour though

Sucks taking an hour to go few miles in morning traffic or without public transport, and if public transport is something you'd like, that'll make a location a bit more important, no idea how that'll work for Oz but it is limiting over here
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
My impression of Arizona (And Nevada, where Las Vegas is) is that it's very dry during summer, and not much rain during winter. It's the opposite of the East Coast and Florida during summer. Southern California, even in L.A. which is at the West coast, is still dry, but not as much as Arizona.

Arizona does look very pretty the 1-2 times I was there, a lot of outdoor rocks/mountains to explore.
New England is as humid as hell and it rains more here than it does in England
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
bit easier when your moving in that hour though

Sucks taking an hour to go few miles in morning traffic or without public transport, and if public transport is something you'd like, that'll make a location a bit more important, no idea how that'll work for Oz but it is limiting over here
never used public transport as if its close enough to take a bus for i take the bike option!!

you think bristol to bath was an hour moving- in rush hour in UK!?!
he is well used to sitting still!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
New England is as humid as hell and it rains more here than it does in England
not possible!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.