Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oz to London - back home

Oz to London - back home

Old Nov 13th 2011, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz to London - back home

Originally Posted by Englishman43
That is perfectly put. I've always felt in England the history, the old buildings etc give me a sense of where I've come from & my small place in a bigger scheme of things whereas here in Southern California where there is nothing like that it's very soulless & shallow.
CA is not too dissimilar to WA. Smaller scale of course. One issue is the over emphasis on youth. I feel more stongly the older I get that the old world is far more in tune with life.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Indeed it is. There is just too little to Perth for us and finally my OH is coming to the conclusion that it could be time to move on.
After both experiencing some serious 'insular'and close to corrupt working conditions it has brought home in no uncertain terms the fact that we have to look for alternatives.
I do believe the over emphasis on material pursuit is the answer to the lack of other viable alternatives. In my case not a particually healthy way to live.

Thats' right.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the obsession with stuff, materialism, is far more prevelant here in the UK. It seems all people care about is buying the latest gadget, having the latest big screen tv so they can sit on their arses in front of it all night after work and gossip about eastenders/xfactor.

In australia I found the opposite to be true, people were far more social and spent more time out and about rather than glued to a tv.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

golgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nice

There are people like that everywhere dave99, I live in Melbourne and there are people like that here too. I guess a notable aspect that should be thrown in is how far pr close are to amenities that allow you to have the coveted lifestyle. I have numerous parks and city activities near me, but on a 40c day like today I am happy I have a decent tv to watch sport on!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by golgo13
There are people like that everywhere dave99, I live in Melbourne and there are people like that here too. I guess a notable aspect that should be thrown in is how far pr close are to amenities that allow you to have the coveted lifestyle. I have numerous parks and city activities near me, but on a 40c day like today I am happy I have a decent tv to watch sport on!
me to !!!! way to hot to be outside,5 minutes in that sun and you would be burnt
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:07 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I found the obsession with stuff, materialism, is far more prevelant here in the UK. It seems all people care about is buying the latest gadget, having the latest big screen tv so they can sit on their arses in front of it all night after work and gossip about eastenders/xfactor.
Wow, you really need some new friends

Most of my friends back home seem so busy with their various interests that they are hardly ever home. I envy them their busy social lives and can't wait to get back to join in.

I think there are couch potatoes everywhere.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Most of my friends back home seem so busy with their various interests that they are hardly ever home. I envy them their busy social lives and can't wait to get back to join in.

are all your friends in the kendal area sallsimmons?
maybe i could join in too LOL! cheeky me!!!
I am finding it difficult to make friends here,alot harder than dare say it ...Alberta. I am going to go to a charity volunteer job fare today,to see if i can pick up a little part time job helping out.Then when i move i will try and set up my cake business from home
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Just thinking the same, I rarely watch tv and if I do its something I enjoy.....I hate soaps but would not knock someone for watching them....each to their own...Also if I started to get hung up on keeping up with the Joneses....well I would call it a day....Dave...you need to start living a life and not watching what others do....all that rubbish you mentioned happens the world over
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99

In australia I found the opposite to be true, people were far more social and spent more time out and about rather than glued to a tv.
Urrgghhhh generalisation....dont get me started......your circle of friends might live like that (although why you would be friends with someone who is who appears the opposite from you is barmy)but not all of Aus are outdoors etc...etc....I dont have the latest big screen etc I certainly dont watch Eastenders and I certainly do not sit on my ars-all night and I live in the UK s you have that bit wrong,blimey you know more on t.v than I do lol.....but if you find life to be like that and you dont like it then do something about it but don't generalise a country life is not that simple...wish it was.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
are all your friends in the kendal area sallsimmons?
maybe i could join in too LOL! cheeky me!!!
No, I'm afraid not. Half are in Manchester and half in Leeds/Bradford area. We're trying to move to Kendal because it's halfway between my mum in the wilds of Cumbria and my husband's parents in Southport. We won't actually have friends right in town - but the train services are good, so we're hoping people will travel to see us.

Sorry to hijack this thread but if you're creative in any way, have you checked out the classes at the Brewery Arts Centre? They have a lot going on there and it seems a good way to meet new people.