Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oz to London - back home

Oz to London - back home

Old May 9th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oz to London - back home

The noise, the crowds, the thumping of London taxi diesel engines under my window, jostling for a space to walk on Oxford Street, stellar like car insurance premiums, a dodgy coalition government and I am LOVING IT.

It is true I do miss the silence of my Ozzy bedroom which was on the bush and all of the wildlife - I made friends with the sulphur crested cockatoos and rainbow loriketes - but it is good to be home.

I am not saying that the UK is better or anything silly like that. It is different and it suits us better. The car sits outside most of the time because it is cheaper and quicker to nip on a bus. Better still, we can walk to most places. Being in the West End we tend to have friends pop in when "in town" - very different from the suburban isolation we experienced.

Within half an hour we can be in the garden of "ye quaint old world pub" enjoying a pint of real ale, some excellent food while exchanging pleasantries to folks on nearby tables. Who said the English were not friendly? The kids run around the garden playing tag or ball with the other kids and a great evening is had by all.

OK it has only been six weeks back in blighty but so far so good.

Greetings to readers in both hemispheres.
Old May 9th 2011, 11:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz to London - back home

Originally Posted by Ian12
The noise, the crowds, the thumping of London taxi diesel engines under my window, jostling for a space to walk on Oxford Street, stellar like car insurance premiums, a dodgy coalition government and I am LOVING IT.

It is true I do miss the silence of my Ozzy bedroom which was on the bush and all of the wildlife - I made friends with the sulphur crested cockatoos and rainbow loriketes - but it is good to be home.

I am not saying that the UK is better or anything silly like that. It is different and it suits us better. The car sits outside most of the time because it is cheaper and quicker to nip on a bus. Better still, we can walk to most places. Being in the West End we tend to have friends pop in when "in town" - very different from the suburban isolation we experienced.

Within half an hour we can be in the garden of "ye quaint old world pub" enjoying a pint of real ale, some excellent food while exchanging pleasantries to folks on nearby tables. Who said the English were not friendly? The kids run around the garden playing tag or ball with the other kids and a great evening is had by all.

You went back? I always wondered if you would.....lucky things!! Ive just got back to Aus after a month spent in London and Bristol, and I swear I'm only alive when i'm back there. Your thoughts sound just like mine - I get to Heathrow and I just inhale the atmosphere, the noise, the bustle, the racket, everything. its home
Good luck, hope it works out well and the kids are happy there....give me a job and I'd be over there too
Old May 10th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You went back? I always wondered if you would.....lucky things!! Ive just got back to Aus after a month spent in London and Bristol, and I swear I'm only alive when i'm back there. Your thoughts sound just like mine - I get to Heathrow and I just inhale the atmosphere, the noise, the bustle, the racket, everything. its home
Good luck, hope it works out well and the kids are happy there....give me a job and I'd be over there too
I love it to thank God I am going for a holiday again this year..I feel like a different person when I am in the U.K.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant to hear from you again, often wondered how you and yours were getting on. Long may you enjoy living back there. Good luck for the future Ian.
Old May 11th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
I love it to thank God I am going for a holiday again this year..I feel like a different person when I am in the U.K.
Me too - it is great to feel whole at least for some time each year. I get two months this year woo hooo!!!
Old May 13th 2011, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

Oh sounds wonderful. I love London - lived there from 97-01 but we really can't afford to go back there, we're heading further north.

I think I'll feel more alive in the UK than I do here in Australia!
Old May 21st 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I love this... because it encapsulates for me why forums are useful but that it always comes down to you making up your own mind. Most of the discussions on BE are about 'should I move to...' 'will I like it?' 'do you like it?'.
But the thing is... we all like different things! What you've described there, I hate. Noise, crowds, cars outside my window, no space to walk. But for you, it's clearly great!

Each to their own, I'm glad people like different things, that's what makes the world work. I'm glad you've found a place you love... we're still looking for ours and I know it is the opposite of where you are!

Forums like this are great for information gathering, but there's no way to know whether it's right for you except by asking yourself.
Old May 24th 2011, 3:57 am
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice

It's the same here in Canada. I live in a metropolois yet it feels...dead. There's no atmosphere. When I walk downtown everyone has their heads down, nobody really talks to one another. Everyone and everything is sterile and disconnected.

Yet back home everywhere feels so alive, the city itself is like one giant living organism. Can't wait to move back home.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Now you've got me all nostologic for the old town as well. Here am I back in sleepy Perth trying to convince myself that London is not for me any longer, being over fifty,but the truth is I miss it very much.

Must admit always found it far easier to connect with folk than here.Then there is a feeling of being in a place far greater than oneself. While here in Perth it sort of feels that it is all about the self in what one has etc.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
A lot of us can identify with what you mean.
Old May 31st 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yeah...very reassuring to hear this...If i had the money and the job Id be back too All the best to you!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Kittykat11 has a brilliant futureKittykat11 has a brilliant futureKittykat11 has a brilliant futureKittykat11 has a brilliant futureKittykat11 has a brilliant futureKittykat11 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the troubadour
While here in Perth it sort of feels that it is all about the self in what one has etc.
I couldn't agree more!! People here (Perth area) seem obsessed with what they have (how big their car/boat/4x4 is) or where they live (must be in the "correct" suburb/street). I've never been in a more materialistic place in my life!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

golgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nice

We are 12 weeks away from returning to the UK, we have settled on Croydon initially but will also go and visit Bristol and Brighton since we are looking for something more chilled. Went to uni in London 02-05 and loved it, working there might be a different story though but shall find out soon.

Any further date Ian12?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Now you've got me all nostologic for the old town as well. Here am I back in sleepy Perth trying to convince myself that London is not for me any longer, being over fifty,but the truth is I miss it very much.

Must admit always found it far easier to connect with folk than here.Then there is a feeling of being in a place far greater than oneself. While here in Perth it sort of feels that it is all about the self in what one has etc.
That is perfectly put. I've always felt in England the history, the old buildings etc give me a sense of where I've come from & my small place in a bigger scheme of things whereas here in Southern California where there is nothing like that it's very soulless & shallow.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kittykat11
I couldn't agree more!! People here (Perth area) seem obsessed with what they have (how big their car/boat/4x4 is) or where they live (must be in the "correct" suburb/street). I've never been in a more materialistic place in my life!
Indeed it is. There is just too little to Perth for us and finally my OH is coming to the conclusion that it could be time to move on.
After both experiencing some serious 'insular'and close to corrupt working conditions it has brought home in no uncertain terms the fact that we have to look for alternatives.
I do believe the over emphasis on material pursuit is the answer to the lack of other viable alternatives. In my case not a particually healthy way to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.