Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OVERSTOCK - worth the risk?

OVERSTOCK - worth the risk?

Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:44 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default OVERSTOCK - worth the risk?

Hiya Brits

Just found some bargain watches on there, but due to the low price, thought I'd check em out, and found some not-so-good reviews online........

just wondered if anyone else had used them, as Im trying to guage if the risk is worth it......

cheers

Lee
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:13 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVERSTOCK - worth the risk?

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Hiya Brits

Just found some bargain watches on there, but due to the low price, thought I'd check em out, and found some not-so-good reviews online........

just wondered if anyone else had used them, as Im trying to guage if the risk is worth it......

cheers

Lee
I have bought several things from there - most transactions have been fine

I has one where I bought a dvd box set

never turned up depite them charging my CC - called them and they told me my order had been cancelled but could not explain why I had been charged.

They told me I would be refunded - after 2 weeks money was still not in my account so I disputed with amex - money in account in 5 mins
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We bought some rugs from Overstock about a year ago and had absolutely no problems. In fact when the rugs arrived they were far better quality than any we had seen in the shops and about half the price.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:37 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I've never had any problems dealing with Overstock - found several severely discounted pairs of Docs on there which made my day!

I've always been very pleased with anything I've bought from there.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Brits

cheers

Lee
I bought from them 1 time ($50), delivered on time aokay. BUT, re watches if they are expensive branded, the warranty will be INVALID with the manufacturers. Any warranty will be with OverStock.com.

reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:58 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I was just unlikely. I now refer to them as "overrated.com".

I ordered a book from them, not a cheap one, but a technical book for the discounted price of $75.00. I paid through paypal.

They gave me a tracking number which when I tried to track the package, according to USPS, did not exist. Two weeks later, no book, so I emailed them and they said it would be another week. A week later, still no book. I emailed them again and was told that it looked like it was lost and that they would investigate it and let me know the outcome. They said this would take around 21 days. I emailed them back and asked if they could send me another and should the original one turn up, I would return it. They said they could not do this, but suggested I order and pay for another one and then once their investigation was concluded they would refund me the first amount, if in fact the book was lost in transit. By this time I was pretty peed off so I asked, by email, for a refund.

I then received an email to say that they would give me an "in store" credit. Each email I received from them was from someone different with a different answer to the problem. I telephoned customer service and told them that in view of the way they had dealt with the situation that I didn't want to order another book and didn't want an in store credit. They informed me that as I had paid by paypal they could not give a refund to paypal because their system was not set up to do that. I asked if they could send me a check and was told "our system is not set up to send out checks". Eventually, getting more and more peed off as the time went by, the lady informed me that she would speak to her superviser about it and they would then contact their paypal administrator to see if it was at all possible to refund me my money.

Eventually I got an email saying that after due consideration they were going to refund my money to paypal which should take no more than 21 days. As it was it was refunded within seven.

After about a month I also received an email saying that they had concluded their investigation of the missing book and determined that it went missing before it got to the post office.

Unfortunately as of now I am unable to get my name of their email list despite trying several times to do so.

The people I dealt with were very inefficient and could not come up with any constructive suggestions other than re-order and repay. They guy in customer service actually admitted that the tracking number they give out is not a number that you can actually track your package and when I asked why they give it out he just replied "no idea".

The biggest problem was that each time I emailed it was answered by someone different and one time told it would be a week, then told it would be ten days, etc so. There was no consistency with their responses.

I am sure a lot of people have ordered stuff from them without any problem but this one experience really did put me off ordering anything else from them.

Good luck
Old Dec 15th 2005, 11:10 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lynne
I am sure a lot of people have ordered stuff from them without any problem but this one experience really did put me off ordering anything else from them.
I got put off by their TV ad. Thanks to those bastards, I now can't get the tune of bleedin' Jingle Bells out of my head with those "O-O-O, the big big O" words replacing the real ones. But perhaps that should be in the "ads that make you see red" thread.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Brits

cheers

Lee
I bought a king-size and a queen-size down quilts about two years ago,still thrilled to bits with them both,just under $70 each,also bought two duvet covers which look just like the lovely handmade quilts,they were lovely as well, until they'd been washed a few times, as I was putting each of them back on the quilts I noticed that the pieces of the quilt patterns were coming apart,and they can't be repaired as there is not enough seam allowance,I did phone overstock to complain but was told there was nothing they could do.....as much as I love the down quilts,I won't be buying anything else from overstock....I don't expect anything to last forever,but more than 3 months would be nice!...The 'so what' attitude of the customer service rep.rubbed me the wrong way....Sophia
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:20 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Brits

cheers

Lee
I've bought various items from Overstock.com over the last three years. e.g. DVDs, video, CD, clothing and most recently perfume (for Christmas. I don't think the recipient has received it yet).

Prices for the items I bought were good (after I'd done some online research) and speed of shipping and packing were excellent with the exception of one item.

I ordered a CD and it was packaged in a most silly manner. The album was in simply placed in an unpradded cardboard envelope. Not surprisingly, by the time I received the album, the case contained a crack. Fortunately, the CD itself was not damaged. I think Overstock.com was using the cheapest packaging and shipping method (media mail) to ship the CD. I think this might have been at a period when shipping was free.

To summarize, I'd rate Overstock.com as follows-

Selection 7/10
Prices 7/10
Shipping (inc. speed) 9/10
Packing 8/10

NC Penguin
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:31 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
I got put off by their TV ad.
I was quite the opposite!
Old Dec 16th 2005, 2:17 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

thanks for the replies chaps/chapettes!!!!
Old Dec 16th 2005, 11:19 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the replies chaps/chapettes!!!!
I thought someone would have told you by now that overstock has been going down the pan for the last six months or so. Their CEO was in the news recently for accusing a 'Dark Lord of the Sith' of trying to wreck his company, and talking about sexual pecadillos (sp?) during a financial conference call.

The company also tried to change their computer system a while back and broke all ability to track/tell when orders were placed.

Consequently anyone who orders from them shouldn't expect a delivery anytime soon.

Here are some articles - good luck with your order:

Overstock CEO receives honorable mention as worst exec of the year
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12...stock_letters/

Overstock's customer service line hangs up on consumers
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...k_phones_down/

Overstock.com Prez sets feeble excuse record
Swelling Q3 loss and IT meltdown 'his bad'
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10..._byrne_feeble/

The bizarre world of Patrick Byrne's Overstock
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12...rstock_issues/
Old Dec 16th 2005, 11:35 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I have bought at least a dozen items from them and overall have been happy with what I received. Always feel I'm getting ripped off buying jewelry regardless of who I buy it from.

Bought both of wife's Christmas gifts from them this year and I decided to submit a review of one of the items I bought and they didn't post it, so not sure if the item reviews are really worth anything if they don't post all of them.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 11:53 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
I got put off by their TV ad. Thanks to those bastards, I now can't get the tune of bleedin' Jingle Bells out of my head with those "O-O-O, the big big O" words replacing the real ones. But perhaps that should be in the "ads that make you see red" thread.

I have to say that that is not the "Big O" I think of,
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:05 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Brits

cheers

Lee
Dont buy from their 'Domestic Assistant' line of products - My Russian wife turned up and was nothing like the model i ordered.. thieving gits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.