Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Overstay and Grace Period

Overstay and Grace Period

Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Sano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overstay and Grace Period

I'm Japanese and I entered the US under F-1 status. At the End of May I graduated from a community college. At the end of June I got married with an American. I talked about this with my student advisor and she said that my I-20 will terminate in September, because of the fact that I had to move to a different place I have not yet started my Green Card process. However on July 21st I got an e-mail from my student advisor saying that my I-20 was terminated and so now I think I'm overstaying for one week. I'm not sure If I have a grace period from my graduation date(May 28th) or from the date my I-20 was terminated(July 21st). Could you tell if you know about this? I would like to go home and do my green card from Japan instead if I am still legal.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 12:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overstay and Grace Period

Originally posted by Sano
I'm Japanese and I entered the US under F-1 status. At the End of May I graduated from a community college. At the end of June I got married with an American. I talked about this with my student advisor and she said that my I-20 will terminate in September, because of the fact that I had to move to a different place I have not yet started my Green Card process. However on July 21st I got an e-mail from my student advisor saying that my I-20 was terminated and so now I think I'm overstaying for one week. I'm not sure If I have a grace period from my graduation date(May 28th) or from the date my I-20 was terminated(July 21st). Could you tell if you know about this? I would like to go home and do my green card from Japan instead if I am still legal.
Please search and read through the three Immigration related forums on British Expats.

Also, have you looked at the US government Immigration and Naturalization website? There's probably information on it that may answer your questions.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Overstay and Grace Period

You need to file a K-3 visa for married person. I am guessing you will face questions as to whether you married to avoid being sent home.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Sano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grace Period

I have already check around the forum, but can't find the answer to my question could someone please answer it?