Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Overseas Driver's license to Californian

Wikiposts

Overseas Driver's license to Californian

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:34 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas Driver's license to Californian

Originally Posted by Bink
And the practical test... (in Houston)... serious joke. Mine lasted a whole 6 minutes or so. Parallel park, then 4 or 5 right hand turns and one or two left hand turns and I was done. No other maneuvers, and there was no traffic where I did mine.
Oh bugger. Last time I did that I was 17.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:02 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Oh bugger. Last time I did that I was 17.
Well it's designed to be done in a Nissan Amada or somesuch humungus SUV so as long as you're not driving one of them, you'll be fine!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure mine was even as difficult as that. I had to drive around a block, all right hand turns, and on the slow traffic side of the block I had to reverse into a driveway of a parking lot of a company... not even into a parking space or something narrow. It was scary how simple it was.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:10 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Well it's designed to be done in a Nissan Amada or somesuch humungus SUV so as long as you're not driving one of them, you'll be fine!!!
Again, bugger. 8 seater!
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
So what have you been doing all these months in US without a US license? From memory you were in Nevada to start off with and this is perhaps 6 months or more ago. You moved to LA (per your posts). Technically you should have had a license in 10 days. So you are telling us that you have been driving without a CA license? Or you didn’t have to drive all this while at all?

Australian license does not mean anything for CA (I have an Aussie license too). Period. You need to give a written and a behind the wheel. When you pass a written, you will be issued a ‘full license’ in a temporary paper format until you can take your behind the wheel. Note that behind the wheel tests are appointment only.
Excellent points.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Again, bugger. 8 seater!
Could you rent something smaller to take the test in? When I took mine in California, it was really simple. Drive around a couple of blocks and answer some questions about the car controls. No parking, reversing or anything. Took my test at the Campbell, CA DMV as the Santa Clara and San Jose ones had long waiting lists for the test. Plus Campbell was nice and quiet to drive around.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Excellent points.
I mean, I am all for helping but OP has been in US for a while and still not figured out about licensing requirements?
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 5:36 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Could you rent something smaller to take the test in? When I took mine in California, it was really simple. Drive around a couple of blocks and answer some questions about the car controls. No parking, reversing or anything. Took my test at the Campbell, CA DMV as the Santa Clara and San Jose ones had long waiting lists for the test. Plus Campbell was nice and quiet to drive around.
I did mine in a rental car. I got a funny look from the tester for the contract paperwork I handed them but they accepted I was insured and let me do it.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Good idea.

Another funny comment that I've received is that "some" DMV offices do accept overseas licenses to issue a new CA one! you just have to find the right one....
Would that be for a temporary license? That would be okay, if it's for a full license, they'd be wrong and you'd be in trouble if you got involved in an accident as the license wouldn't be valid plus your insurance would drop you.

You really have to try to fail over here to not pass, even the parallel parking is a joke, it's not like it's done between two cars with a couple inches on each side to spare.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you don't have a driving licence, can you still get insurance?
Yes, but it costs a fortune.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record, I've met at least 2 Aussies and 1 Italian guy with full CA DL without taking the test - just some sort of "conversion".

Again seems like there is no consistency when it comes to different DMV offices...
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just for the record, I've met at least 2 Aussies and 1 Italian guy with full CA DL without taking the test - just some sort of "conversion".

Again seems like there is no consistency when it comes to different DMV offices...
other countries might have reciprocal agreements, the UK on the other hand doesn't.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
other countries might have reciprocal agreements, the UK on the other hand doesn't.
Not Australia either. California does not care about Aussie license.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

This conversation with the 2 Aussies and 1 Italian took place after a couple of drinks? Coz I doubt it very much. May be they just went to a countryside DMV or wahtever and the guy there handed over the licenses (being lazy).
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh and for the record, were you driving for the past 6 months or so with the Aussie license or is your BMW still parked in the storage facility in Vegas?