Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Overseas Driver's license to Californian

Wikiposts

Overseas Driver's license to Californian

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Question Overseas Driver's license to Californian

Hi folks,

By any chance does anyone know how to get a California D/L without taking the whole test while you've got a full overseas (in my case Australian) license?

Thank you in advance
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:00 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas Driver's license to Californian

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Hi folks,

By any chance does anyone know how to get a California D/L without taking the whole test while you've got a full overseas (in my case Australian) license?

Thank you in advance
Can't speak for California I'm afraid but suspect the answer is no. In Houston, I had to take my Texas DL test (which for the record, was a joke!).

I wouldn't stress about the test!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you have to take the test if you are resident in California.

It's fairly straightforward, although dealing with the DMV is annoying.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the info.

The funny part of the story is that the first available appointment is faaar out and can't use my international license anymore
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the info.

The funny part of the story is that the first available appointment is faaar out and can't use my international license anymore
You should try a couple of different DMV offices to see if you can get an appointment sooner - or just go down there as a "walk-in" and hope that a test slot becomes available because somebody cancels or is a no show.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Good idea.

Another funny comment that I've received is that "some" DMV offices do accept overseas licenses to issue a new CA one! you just have to find the right one....

Originally Posted by md95065
You should try a couple of different DMV offices to see if you can get an appointment sooner - or just go down there as a "walk-in" and hope that a test slot becomes available because somebody cancels or is a no show.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Australian to Californian means you are going to have to do the written as well as the driving test.

You may be able to walk in and wait for a few hours and do the written, however the driving is by appt only. YOu can not make the appt until you have passed your written.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

If you show your foreign license when you take the written test, they will give you a temporary paper license to use while you're waiting for the road test. This temporary license gives you full privileges unlike the learner's permit that you'd get if you didn't show the foreign license.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:05 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the info.

I'd look for a more rural office they are usually quieter and easier to get it. Ours does walk ins for the written part, no written tests after 4.30pm then appointment only for the behind the wheel part, it was only about three weeks out for appointments.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

So what have you been doing all these months in US without a US license? From memory you were in Nevada to start off with and this is perhaps 6 months or more ago. You moved to LA (per your posts). Technically you should have had a license in 10 days. So you are telling us that you have been driving without a CA license? Or you didn’t have to drive all this while at all?

Australian license does not mean anything for CA (I have an Aussie license too). Period. You need to give a written and a behind the wheel. When you pass a written, you will be issued a ‘full license’ in a temporary paper format until you can take your behind the wheel. Note that behind the wheel tests are appointment only.

Last edited by E3only; Oct 22nd 2010 at 10:58 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
So what have you been doing all these months in US without a US license? From memory you were in Nevada to start off with and this is perhaps 6 months or more ago. You moved to LA (per your posts). Technically you should have had a license in 10 days. So you are telling us that you have been driving without a CA license? Or you didn’t have to drive all this while at all?

Australian license does not mean anything for CA (I have an Aussie license too). Peropd. You need to give a written and a behind the wheel. When you pass a written, you will be issued a ‘full license’ in a temporary paper format until you can take your behind the wheel. Note that behind the wheel tests are appointment only.
Yes. OP could walk in Monday and do the written test and get the temporary permit.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes. OP could walk in Monday and do the written test and get the temporary permit.
Correct. Walk in ok for the written test (which will give temporary license) but behind the wheel has to be with an appointment.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:01 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Can't speak for California I'm afraid but suspect the answer is no. In Houston, I had to take my Texas DL test (which for the record, was a joke!).

I wouldn't stress about the test!
Glad you said that as I'm worried about having to take a driving test again.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a driving licence, can you still get insurance?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:41 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Glad you said that as I'm worried about having to take a driving test again.
Don't stress on it!

Do a bit of theory for the written bit - I spent a couple of evenings looking at texas rules and penalties for offences etc but it really was straightforward.

And the practical test... (in Houston)... serious joke. Mine lasted a whole 6 minutes or so. Parallel park, then 4 or 5 right hand turns and one or two left hand turns and I was done. No other maneuvers, and there was no traffic where I did mine.

Having said that, it did take me two days of having to queue at the DMV office to be able to a) take the written test then b) take the practical test.

My story's here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=driving+test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.