Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Overpaying on apartment rent :thumbdown:

Overpaying on apartment rent :thumbdown:

Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:52 pm
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future
Default Overpaying on apartment rent :thumbdown:

Our apartment complex often has special deals on rent, but the management company has a policy of not offering those to existing tenants.

Does anyone know if this is normal, if I can challenge this or where I can find out if the management company's policy is legal?

I am in NC.

We are paying in excess of $250 more per month than the current deal for our apartment and these rates are advertised widely on the web and if you call up the management company.

Unfortunately, we are unable to move for legal reasons and so we are stuck.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overpaying on apartment rent :thumbdown:

Originally Posted by Sonic5
Our apartment complex often has special deals on rent, but the management company has a policy of not offering those to existing tenants.

Does anyone know if this is normal, if I can challenge this or where I can find out if the management company's policy is legal?

I am in NC.

We are paying in excess of $250 more per month than the current deal for our apartment and these rates are advertised widely on the web and if you call up the management company.

Unfortunately, we are unable to move for legal reasons and so we are stuck.
As far as I know that's not illegal - they may be advertising specials as they're struggling to rent units. On the flipside sometimes people who have been there a while pay lower rates while newer tenants pay more.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably legal, although to be sure you would have to look at the specific regulations not just in your state but in your specific city or town since there may well be local ordinances that cover situations like this.

Remember, however, that everything is negotiable. Have you asked your management company if they will reduce your rent? Have you threatened to move out if they don't?

(You said that you couldn't move "for legal reasons" but you didn't say what those reasons were - if it isn't related to your lease and the management company doesn't know that you "can't move" there is no reason why you can't threaten to move even if you have no intention of doing so ...)
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It's probably legal, although to be sure you would have to look at the specific regulations not just in your state but in your specific city or town since there may well be local ordinances that cover situations like this.

Remember, however, that everything is negotiable. Have you asked your management company if they will reduce your rent? Have you threatened to move out if they don't?

(You said that you couldn't move "for legal reasons" but you didn't say what those reasons were - if it isn't related to your lease and the management company doesn't know that you "can't move" there is no reason why you can't threaten to move even if you have no intention of doing so ...)
That's a good point, only I wouldn't threaten. I talked to my landlord with concern about my rent once and he sent me a letter guaranteeing to fix it for three years. It can't hurt, but don't attack.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:18 am
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Thank you.

I cannot say what the reason is why we cannot move (because it could easily identify us) but if we were to threaten to move if the management didn't lower our rent and the management called our bluff, the effect if us having to move would result in a loss of many thousands.

We did ask for a reduction and they offered a small one, but only if we signed a new agreement, the terms and condition of which were not acceptable and somewhat offensive.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
That's a good point, only I wouldn't threaten. I talked to my landlord with concern about my rent once and he sent me a letter guaranteeing to fix it for three years. It can't hurt, but don't attack.
Ok - perhaps "threaten" is too strong a word - but the OP should definitely *ask* for a rent reduction if they haven't done so already - the worst that can happen in that case is that the management company says "no" ...
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I cannot say what the reason is why we cannot move (because it could easily identify us) but if we were to threaten to move if the management didn't lower our rent and the management called our bluff, the effect if us having to move would result in a loss of many thousands.
I don't know what kind of lease you are on, but the management company can't evict you just because you threaten to move out when you are negotiating with them. If they "call your bluff" you just change your mind and decide that you aren't going to move after all. Assuming that you have been good tenants and they have an excess of supply over demand I can't see why they would want you to move out and be replace by either nobody or a new tenant paying a lower rent.

The fact that they offered a small reduction indicates that there is still room for more negotiation. Next step is for you to go back to them with a counter proposal ...
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok - perhaps "threaten" is too strong a word - but the OP should definitely *ask* for a rent reduction if they haven't done so already - the worst that can happen in that case is that the management company says "no" ...
Agree 100%.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:06 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if this is normal...?
Yes, totally normal. In fact, I would say it's standard practice. It's just like when gyms have sign-up specials -- "Sign up for 6 months and get one month free", etc -- which aren't open to existing gym members. It's their way of attracting new customers. Annoying, but true.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of companies do promotions for new customers and not current ones, and apartments are no different. What they are doing is pretty normal.

My places I have rented there was always an annual increase in rent, so older tenants paid more then newer ones.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Yes, totally normal. In fact, I would say it's standard practice. It's just like when gyms have sign-up specials -- "Sign up for 6 months and get one month free", etc -- which aren't open to existing gym members. It's their way of attracting new customers. Annoying, but true.

~ Jenney

I know that Optimum was taken to task on that because of a special offer only to new customers and specified in small "not existing customers". Turns out here in NYC area they have to offer the same to existing customers as well if is great for us with FIOS since Verizon is guaranteeing no price increase for 2 years to lure in new customers.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:46 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Rent is negotiable as anything.. its just an agreement between 2 parties. Sounds legit what they did... like new builds giving a house to a buyer 10k less what you paid... or giving the next punter in the door additional incentives etc. But, your state attorney's office might shed light on your situation.

The only areas where you might be able to cry foul are things like violations in fair housing, lead based paint disclosure, ADA, housing codes etc. If you break your lease (if not legit nor legal), it could adversely work against you down the road too.

For the next time, you could address incentives, such as those given, in a lease provision. ... as well as apartments etc going into foreclosure...