Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Over zealous censoring?

Over zealous censoring?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:51 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Over zealous censoring?

Imagine my surprise while watching The Truman Show at about 10pm on TBS last night, to find that the scene where he goes to Meryl's workplace and bursts in on her apparently about to assist in a leg amputation was deleted. Can anyone shed any light on why the hell the powers that be decided this scene was too rude / bloodthirsty / sexual or whatever to be broadcast at this time of night?!

The Mask was the next film on (obviously having a Jim Carrey fest) and the word "ass" was deleted. At about 11pm.

Ow! My delicate ears...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over zealous censoring?

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Imagine my surprise while watching The Truman Show at about 10pm on TBS last night, to find that the scene where he goes to Meryl's workplace and bursts in on her apparently about to assist in a leg amputation was deleted. Can anyone shed any light on why the hell the powers that be decided this scene was too rude / bloodthirsty / sexual or whatever to be broadcast at this time of night?!

The Mask was the next film on (obviously having a Jim Carrey fest) and the word "ass" was deleted. At about 11pm.

Ow! My delicate ears...
Okay to watch somebody empty a clip into a human body and have close ups of the blood coming out; verboten to watch someone making love. Screwed *****ing country, whatever my buddy Fig might say!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I can only say that its truly fun watching anything with Gordon Ramsey in it. Its just one long "bleep"
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:01 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Okay to watch somebody empty a clip into a human body and have close ups of the blood coming out; verboten to watch someone making love. Screwed *****ing country, whatever my buddy Fig might say!
I was trying to remember exactly what the scene consisted of and failed dismally to think of anything even remotely unsuitable for younger viewers. Especially those up and watching at 10pm. It's total madness!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I was trying to remember exactly what the scene consisted of and failed dismally to think of anything even remotely unsuitable for younger viewers. Especially those up and watching at 10pm. It's total madness!

I laugh watching the sex magazine programs on the Health Channel! Far cry from my days in Europe where I used to regularly watch a tv show on ProSieben presented by a transvestite - Lilo Wanders - sitting on the floor with a group of women testing out dildos live on air and rating them.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:35 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I remember being taken by surprise when I first came here. Private Parts at 11pm on a Saturday, cut to ribbons, but padded out to a good 2½ hours through the clever use of numerous advert breaks. Then 3pm on the following Sunday afternoon...that all-time kiddies favourite: Hellraiser III.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I laugh watching the sex magazine programs on the Health Channel! Far cry from my days in Europe where I used to regularly watch a tv show on ProSieben presented by a transvestite - Lilo Wanders - sitting on the floor with a group of women testing out dildos live on air and rating them.
OMG! LOL
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:39 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by syllk
Yup, I remember being taken by surprise when I first came here. Private Parts at 11pm on a Saturday, cut to ribbons, but padded out to a good 2½ hours through the clever use of numerous advert breaks. Then 3pm on the following Sunday afternoon...that all-time kiddies favourite: Hellraiser III.
Pulp Fiction was on "the other night" and got some interesting treatment and odd words clipped out. The scene when Travolta (well, the character he played) turned up unannounced at the drug suppliers home was kind of interesting ...

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Eurotrash would have the censors exploding over here.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:51 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I used to regularly watch a tv show on ProSieben presented by a transvestite - Lilo Wanders - sitting on the floor with a group of women testing out dildos live on air and rating them.
Ah, everything is now becoming clear.

Which one wore the nun suit?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:54 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Ah, everything is now becoming clear.

Which one wore the nun suit?

Yep -- they did that as well.

Wa(h)re Liebe? it was called -- magic show. Dunno whether it's still running?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Eurotrash would have the censors exploding over here.
Simply edit out the naughty bits and the show would just be a monologue by Antoine de Caunes (or whatever he was called).

Celsius
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:04 am
ImHere

Extreme censorship? I thought that only happened in extremist intolerant and fundamentally religious dictatorships that must be destroyed in order to save the citizens?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:09 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Extreme censorship? I thought that only happened in extremist intolerant and fundamentally religious dictatorships that must be destroyed in order to save the citizens?
Oooh Oooh, touchy subject, you'll have an overzealous American from California asking you outside for a punch up any time now!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:20 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Oooh Oooh, touchy subject, you'll have an overzealous American from California asking you outside for a punch up any time now!
What'd I say? What'd I say? I dont mind though as Californians cant own guns and tend to drive hairdresser cars. No match for a southern obscenely large redneck-mobile and shotgun combo. Bubba. Besides which theres a lot of those nasty immigrant types between Califonia and here for him to get through...take him weeks.

Last edited by ImHere; Aug 2nd 2005 at 2:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.