Reload this Page >

Over Sensitive?

Over Sensitive?

Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:30 am
mwm
Forum Regular

mwm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over Sensitive?

Are the rules of discrimination different over here? I started my first job 4 weeks ago and since then have been subjected to various piss takes, ridiculing and told I have to learn how to speak properly. This isn't by co-workers,this is my superiors who although saying my accent is "so cute" seem to be under the impression that laughing at me and saying "Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?" when I am simply asking a question is acceptable.I have worked on cruise ships with americans and so am no stranger to communicating with them and never had a problem there.I knew and totally expected there to be the usual jokes and curiosity at first but seem to be the butt of all jokes.
The "cutesy wee scot image" seems to have also affected my chance of promotion. Three weeks ago I requested a position that was open nearer to where I live and first was told they had someone.Today I met the person who got the position who interviewed and got the position on Thursday.

Perhaps I am just over sensitive but I know that where I come from it is a strict no no to ridicule someone because of their origin.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:16 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Face it - we Scots are the best so bollocks to the piss takers.
Anyway how cute are you? Gotta ask
Old Oct 6th 2003, 4:17 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting...what kind of work are you in? I have only really had a couple of problems working here, all were dumbass co-workers and all under 20 years old with a stereotypical view of Scotland.
None of it was anything nasty though, I give as good as I get too.

I'm not sure your company would have liked you asking for a transfer after only a week though. Also a couple of questions, do you tone your accent down? This is pretty much something most of us have to do, not just Scots, if a Geordie or a Scouser talked like he did back home he'd have problems.

Also how did you do at the interview? One would assume the interviewer understood you ok otherwise they would not have hired you, maybe ask your boss what has changed in there attitudes. Either way you should contact your employer if this is a big problem.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Over Sensitive?

Sorry, but that is basically the way America is. You either have to learn to deal with it in whatever way or go back to where you feel comfortable. What you are experiencing is culture shock. You're never going to convince America that one country, any country, is better than theirs and there is a lot of pride at stake. I suggest that you integrate a little better and don't get defensive since you are in a different and unfamiliar country. Your employers are probably thinking that you're a new immigrant and so, like all new immigrants, you'll get better integrated after a while. BTW Americans are EXTREMELY IMAGE CONSCIOUS and focused on appearances and marketing and so it makes a big difference how you appear and your accent.. they never want accents that are too heavy.. they still want an American centered person.. if that makes sense. However, I share your frustration.. screw them if they can't accept who you are!

Originally posted by mwm
Are the rules of discrimination different over here? I started my first job 4 weeks ago and since then have been subjected to various piss takes, ridiculing and told I have to learn how to speak properly. This isn't by co-workers,this is my superiors who although saying my accent is "so cute" seem to be under the impression that laughing at me and saying "Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?" when I am simply asking a question is acceptable.I have worked on cruise ships with americans and so am no stranger to communicating with them and never had a problem there.I knew and totally expected there to be the usual jokes and curiosity at first but seem to be the butt of all jokes.
The "cutesy wee scot image" seems to have also affected my chance of promotion. Three weeks ago I requested a position that was open nearer to where I live and first was told they had someone.Today I met the person who got the position who interviewed and got the position on Thursday.

Perhaps I am just over sensitive but I know that where I come from it is a strict no no to ridicule someone because of their origin.

Last edited by jaytee; Oct 6th 2003 at 5:47 am.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

I don't think you are being oversensitive and I felt horrible for you reading through this post. It must be frustrating that your personal factors are more striking than your professional side. I think I would give it time and see if they settle down once the novelty has worn off. They're like children with a new distraction! I think if I were you I would do my best to ignore it, hold your head up and just smile politely when they look at you for a response - eventually they will realise they look like fools!
Alternatively, (of course I do not know where you work or even if it would be appropriate) but maybe you could organise a night out where you could ask them to celebrate an occasion in Scottish Style with you?? I don't mean shove it up their nose but maybe if you invited them into your culture perhaps they would soften?

If it's of any help to you, I have American friends that are decendants of Scots and they often visit Aunts and Uncles in Scotland and love it... and your accent can't be that bad - look at Billy Conolly (I know I have spelt that wrong!!!) - he is one of the most loved comedians in the US so they managed to understand him alright!
Good luck..... let us know what happens
Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:51 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mwm

I don't know how it works where you come from, but you ARE the "new kid on the block". In my experience, this kind of ragging is fairly common place.
As for someone else getting the position you applied for, doesn't that happen all the time? Obviously, some one else wanted that position as much as you did.
Just take it in good spirit for now. They'll continue to do it only for so long as you show them that you are upset by it. I just hope you are not (showing that you are upset) Good luck and hang in there...
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Every morning without fellow most of my co-workers without fail (at a previous place of employment) would say

"Gooooood morning bloke. Hope you're feeling jolly good old chap" or words to that extent.

I told em if I was a black fella and they said mockingly "Yo bro, what's up?"
then it would be rascist.

they soon shut the **** up after that.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

You may just be overly sensitive. I agree it is out of line that they continue to take the piss out of your accent, however if you are going to make an issue out of it all that is going to happen is you are likely to become more of a target. Have you ever considered that they may be having trouble understanding you? It's going nothing to do with your lack of problems communicating with Americans in the past, as the ones you are dealing with may have not have experience of your accent. It can be hard adjusting your ear to accents for some people.

As for the transfer situation. I would not take that personally. You have only been at your job 5 minutes and you shouldn't really have any expectation that you will get preferential treatment when it comes to transfers/promotion. Sit back and relax, bide your time and show them how good you are at your job and you will be eventually rewarded. Don't let a chip develop on your shoulder at this early stage or things are only going to become worse.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mwm

If anything, the laws regarding discrimination in hiring and in the workplace are stricter in the US than in the UK.

It is very disappointing to hear that superiors are incapable of conducting themselves in a professional manner. It is certainly not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

Simply letting them continue with their behaviours gives the implicit impression that their behaviours are OK with you. That's not true. However, since you're new to your job/working in the US in general, you have to step carefully.

When I get home, I'll have a quick look at the Federal laws that may be appropriate to your situation.

I certainly empathasize with your current experiences. The individuals making fun of you and acting unprofessionally are those with a lack of exposure to people different to them and don't know how to conduct themselves.

I think this depends in part on whereabouts in the US you live/work and the individuals exposure to other cultures/races.

Hang in there. They're sad gits (insert expletive of your choice) in my opinion...

NC Penguin
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
I don't know how it works where you come from, but you ARE the "new kid on the block". In my experience, this kind of ragging is fairly common place.
As for someone else getting the position you applied for, doesn't that happen all the time? Obviously, some one else wanted that position as much as you did.
Just take it in good spirit for now. They'll continue to do it only for so long as you show them that you are upset by it. I just hope you are not (showing that you are upset) Good luck and hang in there...
You're right. Americans are fighters and are competitive. This stuff goes on ALL THE TIME. It isn't going to change. The workplace harassment is nothing compared to the bullying going on in American grade schools.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:38 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

If they insist on sterotyping you for your accent, then sterotype them as fat. Being the new guy or gal in the office typically means you will be in for a few jokes and good hearted teasing. Take it in your stride, and dish it out in return equally. The fact it's your superiors who are doing this saddens me though, they should act professional and have more sense.

I started my first job here today, and so far, people love my accent. Especially the people I have to call, I've noticed that some will try and stay on the phone longer with me, than with some of my co-workers, and a few of the women have bordered on flirtatious when I'm persuading them to come in for interviews
Old Oct 7th 2003, 2:54 am
mwm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the response everyone.I really appreciated the feedback and the opportunity to vent!
I want to answer a couple of questions
1.I was actually offered the promotion to the closer branch when I started but asked to manage the further away branch as the closer one had not opened yet
2.I don't have a strong accent by comparison to a lot of scottish and make a real effort to make myself easier to understand.
3.Yes,this is not as bad as some of the school yard bullying going on right now but that does not make it easier to deal with
4.You are absolutely right,if I don't like it I can go back to where I came from
5.The people I deal with are from florida,the same as the people I worked with on cruise ships.
6.I have not let the people know that this ribbing is getting to me and have simply not reacted when the stream of jokes start every day.
7.I'd like to add again that the customers I deal with and the staff I manage are excellent
I had a conference call today with fellow branch managers and my district manager and when I asked to get a copy of the projected figures for next month as I still hadn't receieved them I was told "Oh hush up and drink a pint of guiness!" I realise that if I don't like it I can always go home but I'm made of stronger stuff and would not stoop to their level or let them win and I know I will make the targets set and pass them so I will eventually make them look at the results and ignore the accent.It is a double edged sword as I have received so many great reactions purely through my accent so I suppose I cannot complain too much.I am just glad that I can vent on here and have some understanding people who can relate to it!Good Luck with the job Nathan,sounds like you're doing well and scotch03,the answers very cute!
cheers again!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:01 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mwm
<snip>I realise that if I don't like it I can always go home but I'm made of stronger stuff and would not stoop to their level or let them win and I know I will make the targets set and pass them so I will eventually make them look at the results and ignore the accent <snip>
That's the spirit In the end it will be the results that count, and all the ribbing will stop. Results are all they are looking for at the end of the day. So hang in there....
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Intorduce them to that great example of Scottish culture, the Glasgow kiss

Jovially Yours
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:11 pm
mwm
Forum Regular

Wink

so tempted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.