Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Over-medicated ????

Wikiposts

Over-medicated ????

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over-medicated ????

I anticipate liver or kidney failure, or both, due to a certain non-prescription drug in which I indulge nightly.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I wonder if the increase in the number of drugs prescribed to a given individual isn't contributing to actual liver and kidney failures.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:46 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Fear and consume, fear and consume.... there is no money to be made if people aren't 'sick', or believe that they might be (or 'may become sick'). I think there is so much hysteria overhere. People don't want to change their lifestyle and habits and are all too happy to pill pop due to the convenience and go about their merrily way.

I wish that there were laws against advertising meds on TV. I roll my eyes how they downplay and sugar coat side effects with choice of vocabulary .... "may cause sudden loss of coherent speech or sensation to your left side..." - why, because it caused a heart attack? or a stroke? Perhaps it shouldn't be on the market; but hey, atleast your addressing your lipids. Semper Fi and Hoorah! with your pig trough serving at meals....

When my uncle was transferred to hospice level of care for his last few days of his life due to cancer - they were still insisting to administer his daily pills for his Alzheimer's. ... ?!?!? ....

WTF is all this about 'gluten free' and wheat allergy era?!?! I don't recall my parents nor grand-parents' generations ever having issues with wheat allergies .... just saying! Perhaps one should look at our tainted food supply as our bodies are clearly starting to react to farming practices... Obesity and diabetes in children due to high fructose corn syrup is another. "Your body can't tell the difference" the PR add says. Since when does your body have conscious thought and verbal communication with the brain?!?? However, "your body" reacts differently to corn syrup than it does to plain sugar. But take this little pill instead, Johny, and go about playing on the x-box for 2 hours instead of running around outside in fresh air....

Its a society of scared of being sick and rush to medicate because of profit and play on fears ... especially of germs; as George Carlin remarks "in prison, before they give you the lethal injection, they swab your arm with alcohol...."

"Laughter is the best medicine". Well, thank goodness there are enough morons to laugh at in this world. Hey, I don't absolve myself!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
In the UK, there seems to be a pervading attitude of "you shouldn't bother the doctor - he/she is very busy."

Our surgery in the UK will routinely answer the phone with "are you sure you are so ill that you need to see a doctor ?" Yes, it isn't very customer-service orientated, but it is drummed into you from birth that this is NOT another service that you pick-and-chose like a supermarket - it is a health-care service for all.

Now, some American friends that we knew in the UK got VERY annoyed about this - their attitude was "we're paying for this and we have a right to determine when we can see someone or not."

The receptionist at our surgery was polite and direct along the lines of "you are one patient out of 55 million - if the other 54,999,999 people agree that your case is more important, then of course you can see the doctor ahead of them."

So, we just don't think in monetary terms about basic healthcare. Everyone pays; everyone has equal entitlement. There is no discussion.

If you haven't lived in a country with universal healthcare, then I can fully understand why that attitude would be difficult to understand.
You've never met my British mil then....

She has been going to the same surgery for years and when she was over last time she was on more medication than I've ever seen anyone take! Of course they're all free, maybe that makes them more attractive to obtain. She's a nurse, btw.....
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:00 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in Korea it was a mix of English speakers, lots of Brits, lots of Yanks. The manager was an American. When Brits took a day or two off sick, he used to enquire if they had seen a doctor, he seemed to think they were faking it if they had not seen a doctor. The Brits of course just thought, they are sick, why would they see a doctor, they are not dying.

Only time I have seen the two medical cultures at work close together.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
...... The manager was an American. When Brits took a day or two off sick, he used to enquire if they had seen a doctor, he seemed to think they were faking it if they had not seen a doctor. The Brits of course just thought, they are sick, why would they see a doctor, they are not dying.

Only time I have seen the two medical cultures at work close together.
My British manager in NY was like that. Co policy specified that evidence of a visit to the doctor was only required after 5 days, but my boss told me if I was sick I had to see a doctor. Like your colleagues in Korea, I say "What's the point? I'm not dying." I quit not long after that, with one of the main reasons being that my manager was an @$$hole.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:30 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You've never met my British mil then....

She has been going to the same surgery for years and when she was over last time she was on more medication than I've ever seen anyone take! Of course they're all free, maybe that makes them more attractive to obtain. She's a nurse, btw.....
My hubbys UK Grandma saw a stand-in doctor as her regular doctor was away. He reviewed her prescriptions and was surprised to discover she was still taking medication for post natal depression. She was in her 90s
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's really interesting looking in at companies and how they change when the founders tend to get a bit older or have illnesses. Seems that a lot of the start ups are all very young so insurance is either less important to them or just a lot cheaper of a benefit to offer, but this all changes around a bit when the average age starts to rise.

Just in the industry I've experience of at least.

As for prescriptions, personally with the cost, would go with laying off the doughnut regime or whatever else that was cheaper as a first start.

The in-laws, who aren't old but over the last few years have become a walking pharmacy though, but a lot of it is preventative stuff and then stuff to combat those preventative drugs.

Makes you wonder how much more knackered the body gets going through that than if left to its own devices, or not.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
WTF is all this about 'gluten free' and wheat allergy era?!?! I don't recall my parents nor grand-parents' generations ever having issues with wheat allergies ...
People likely had the allergy, the doctors back then didn't know what was causing the reaction, now we do, and thus people can avoid it and the symptoms and issues it causes.

I am supposed to eat gluten free but I am both lazy and gluten free stuff costs more, but when I did eat gluten free for an extended period of time, the symptoms did vanish.

We forget that 30-40-50 years ago we simply did not know what caused certain ailments, and now we do, so they were there, we just didn't know about them yet.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
My hubbys UK Grandma saw a stand-in doctor as her regular doctor was away. He reviewed her prescriptions and was surprised to discover she was still taking medication for post natal depression. She was in her 90s
I think that's what they did back then. A friend's mum in the UK was given anti depressants for PND...that must have been in the 1950's...and was still on them when we left in 1996.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to state that post partum depression is not something to be trifled with. First hand experience of watching my wife slowly recover from it these past seven months through a combination of anti depressants anti anxiety meds methylated b vitamins a great therapist and lots of help from friends.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
People likely had the allergy, the doctors back then didn't know what was causing the reaction, now we do, and thus people can avoid it and the symptoms and issues it causes.

I am supposed to eat gluten free but I am both lazy and gluten free stuff costs more, but when I did eat gluten free for an extended period of time, the symptoms did vanish.

We forget that 30-40-50 years ago we simply did not know what caused certain ailments, and now we do, so they were there, we just didn't know about them yet.
Yes, but, but, but.

In the US, where, as I rather provocatively stated, I believe that people are over-medicated, life expectancy and outcomes are decreasing, not increasing.

In the rest of the developed world, outcomes are improving - yes, there is increased medical intervention, but it is the TYPE of intervention that concerns me.

That sort-of supports my theory that those that can get medications and so "demand" as their "consumer rights" here don't actually need many of them, whereas the seriously ill whose life chances could be vastly changed by taking some of that the others have are really suffering.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Just want to state that post partum depression is not something to be trifled with. First hand experience of watching my wife slowly recover from it these past seven months through a combination of anti depressants anti anxiety meds methylated b vitamins a great therapist and lots of help from friends.
No - it's awful. For our part, all I can say is Thank You to the NHS mid-wifery service. Mid-wife came in "for a chat/support" EVERY day for 6 months - it is a wonderful, woefully under-funded, under-appreciated service.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

And yet some of the Medical Support services are a totally different kettle of fish...
Jay's work colleague is (trying) to recover from stage 4 colon cancer, he has had numerous surgeries and now has a colostomy bag, he refuses to give up his job and has a great attitude. He has had a few issues lately, one that requires him to have some sort of 'vacuum' stuck up his butt to suck out liquids. Poor guy!! Anyhoo, his Dr told him that he has to take off at least 4 months from work, because the home help services will NOT come to his home to change his dressings etc, if he is working!!

He realized he had no choice, so he arranged to do most of his work from home during this time. He was supposed to get the vacuum thing fitted on Monday, firstly his Dr office forgot to order what was required, but then after talking to the home help people, they are refusing to set up his service because the calls he made to them were from his office phone!! They do not believe he is or will stay home for the visits! He got so mad, he told them not to bother, now he plans on dragging himself to his Dr office every 3 days to get treatment. crazy if you ask me!....Those that really NEED the help have a hard time asking for or getting the help.

Last edited by Englishtart; Jan 24th 2013 at 2:31 am. Reason: brain fart!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Good grief
Originally Posted by Englishtart
And yet some of the Medical Support services are a totally different kettle of fish...
Jay's work colleague is (trying) to recover from stage 4 colon cancer, he has had numerous surgeries and now has a colostomy bag, he refuses to give up his job and has a great attitude. He has had a few issues lately, one that requires him to have some sort of 'vacuum' stuck up his butt to suck out liquids. Poor guy!! Anyhoo, his Dr told him that he has to take off at least 4 months from work, because the home help services will NOT come to his home to change his dressings etc, if he is working!!

He realized he had no choice, so he arranged to do most of his work from home during this time. He was supposed to get the vacuum thing fitted on Monday, firstly his Dr office forgot to order what was required, but then after talking to the home help people, they are refusing to set up his service because the calls he made to them were from his office phone!! They do not believe he is or will stay home for the visits! He got so mad, he told them not to bother, now he plans on dragging himself to his Dr office every 3 days to get treatment. crazy if you ask me!....Those that really NEED the help have a hard time asking for or getting the help.
Good grief
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
No - it's awful. For our part, all I can say is Thank You to the NHS mid-wifery service. Mid-wife came in "for a chat/support" EVERY day for 6 months - it is a wonderful, woefully under-funded, under-appreciated service.
I agree wholeheartedly with you! When I had my last baby, 11 years ago now, I had quite the eventful delivery, emergency c-section, severe hemorrhage, frightful stuff! But when I got home I was very happy to see that I had a midwife come every day for the first 10 days. Even though my husband stayed home for two weeks (what do men know...lol) and this wasn't my first baby, it was nice to have a trained professional come in to get information from. This service would be invaluable to first time mothers, something I would have dearly loved to have had when I had my first baby!

However, my daughter just had a baby in late November and not sure whether its because they live out in boonies or what, but the midwife didn't come out as much. My daughter had a c-section as well and would have thought that was reason enough. However, they're not keeping mothers in hospital as long anymore either. My daughter was able to leave on the second day after the baby was born.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.