Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Outdoor stuff/kit

Outdoor stuff/kit

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:48 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Outdoor stuff/kit

Back in blightly, the best kit for the mountains was Karrimor, Berghaus, Buffalo, Mountain Equipment etc... I dont think that stuff is available here (and I think North Face stuff is overpriced), so to the outdoorsy BE folks, which manufacturers do you trust here?
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outdoor stuff/kit

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Back in blightly, the best kit for the mountains was Karrimor, Berghaus, Buffalo, Mountain Equipment etc... I dont think that stuff is available here (and I think North Face stuff is overpriced), so to the outdoorsy BE folks, which manufacturers do you trust here?
If you want to read user reviews of that kind of stuff, I'm sure you'll find some recent reviews on Epinions .

NC Penguin
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:56 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
If you want to read user reviews of that kind of stuff, I'm sure you'll find some recent reviews on Epinions .

NC Penguin

Thanks, but I'm not looking for a particular product - just wondering if Brits here have favourite US brands (theres a bunch I've never heard of).
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Montrail footwear
Columbia clothing
REI (www.rei.com) - EVERYTHING
Eastern Mountain Sports (www.ems.com) - EVERYTHING

Patagonia is popular but way overpriced.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Northface is overpriced, but I remember going into the camping stores in Cambridge and paying a small fortune for puffa jackets similar.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

North face stuff is NOT over priced. It expensive because its so bloody good. I'm on the mountain about 2 or 3 times a week weather and work permitting and wear North Face jacket and pants (700 fill) never been cold yet, infact I've actually sweated in the stuff with all the vents open on a -15F day.

The reason its expensive is that they use goose down as part of the insulation, don't think many others do.

If you're serious about spending loads of time out doors in sub zero temps pay the extra you tight wad and buy the right gear.

Failing that buy Cheapo "Columbia" gear and freeze yer arse off.

Another important thing to remember in freezing outdoor conditions is that "COTTON KILLS". Wear layers and good wool socks etc. Not cotton.

Seriously, buy the North Face stuff.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:46 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

My stuff (clothing and packs) is mostly a mixture of REI, Marmot, North Face, Columbia, Mountain Hardwear, Arc'teryx. Zamberlan for boots. MSR for stoves and cooking stuff. Stuff is expensive, so I get most of it in the sales at REI.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I have a LLBean coat that is fantastic for everything from skiing to winter hiking, same with their boots. Landsend isnt bad either and also Columbia.

Have fun !
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:45 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

We've bought a ton of stuff from EMS and also HTO, (Hudson Trail Outfitters) and almost always tend to go for either North Face or ArcTeryx.

Although it's been a while since we've done anything majorly outdoorsy, for various reasons, what we've bought has performed well and will last for a long time.

Definitely worth shelling out for the best you can afford if you will be getting a lot of use out of it.

You can always chat with the dudes in the outdoor stores about your requirements - they're not just there to take your money, they actually know about the products they're selling.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:31 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

I think they have alot more choice out here for out door gear, depends what you are after. I bought timberland hike boots for about $40 and a Section jacket which I swear is made by the same people as Burton. I thought the REI was expensive a little looking around and you can get the same stuff far cheaper.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Im sorry I cant be of help here. I wear cotton shorts and T-shirts all year round in the great outdoors and haven't frozen once yet.

Infact only yesterday we went to Universal and I had to take my T-shirt off so I was more in danger of sunburn than frostbite.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Im sorry I cant be of help here. I wear cotton shorts and T-shirts all year round in the great outdoors and haven't frozen once yet.

Infact only yesterday we went to Universal and I had to take my T-shirt off so I was more in danger of sunburn than frostbite.
Get back to your swamp and alligators.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jan 3rd 2006 at 3:31 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:42 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

It's cold here...I've actually been wearing jeans instead of shorts
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:50 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
It's cold here...I've actually been wearing jeans instead of shorts
Me too! I hate being the slightest bit cold. It's in the high 70's here, so it's not that cold, but I like it hot!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 3:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

DH and I have Columbia gear for skiing - nice and warm and good quality. We found ours at Burlington Coat Factory - significantly cheaper than outfitters. Of course it's a matter of luck what you find there, but it's worth checking out if there's one near you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.