Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our Summer With Des: The 2006 World Cup Prediction League

Our Summer With Des: The 2006 World Cup Prediction League

Old May 26th 2006, 4:05 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our Summer With Des: The 2006 World Cup Prediction League

Mods: I'm cross posting this because I want every Brit Expat to join ! Bob/Manc, can you sticky until June 9th ? Cheers.

Right then... here we go....

OUR SUMMER WITH DES : THE 2006 WORLD CUP PREDICTION LEAGUE is now open for sign-ups.

("What the what, what ?")

Remember doing the Littlewoods/Vernons coupons and listening intently to Final Score every Saturday at 5pm ? With the pools you had to predict which matches would be a draw, this works the same sort of way:

As you may have noticed (well... you've noticed, the rest of America still hasn't yet) there is a certain sporting tournament kicking off in only two weeks from now. What the Prediction League is all about is that you have to predict what the result of every game will be.

Will Japan put 4 past Brazil..?
Can England manage to get a draw with Trinidad...?
Are Switzerland going to win the World Cup....?
You can decide by predicting the final score of each match.

HOW TO JOIN >>

-> SIGN UP:
Go to the Prediction League new user page:
http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/pr...wuser&lid=2006
(Please try to use the same username as you have on here so that other Brit Expat forum members recognise you.)

-> DONATE TO PLAY:
In order to raise some prize money for the winner or winners (more about that in a sec), the prediction league is a donate to play one.
Once you have signed up click on the PAYPAL DONATE button and donate towards the prize. Any amount that you wish. Suggested donation is $3, but if you can afford a bit more... cheers.
- If we get enough players and enough donations then there may be a prize for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. But this can only be done if we have a decent amount in the kitty. (Arthur Fowler said he'll look after it for us )
- Current Prize amount: $26

-> THE PREDICTIONS:
All the fixtures and dates have already been entered, so you can do your predictions for all the group matches now. (If you don't have regular access, or will be busy nearer the time it is good to get them all done.) But I would hold off and if you can, wait until you see the first match or couple of matches of each time to see what sort of form they are in.
Plus there are some teams playing that are unknown to everyone.

- How to enter your predictions:
(When you are signed in) Click on "My Predictions".
You will then see a list of all the matches.
Enter in what you think the result will be and click on the "Predict" button.
As mentioned you can do a prediction for one match or all the matches.
*PLEASE NOTE*
The Game Time is on Germany time (currently 6 hours ahead of Eastern USA time.)
You can do your prediction right up until kick off of each match.

Later on when it gets to the knockout stage and the game is a draw: You will have to predict the score at the end of the match - at the end of extra time, before the penalties.

-> THE POINTS:
We are still deciding on that. Go to -
http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/20...o-points-make/
and read about the points system and post your thoughts.

-> THE LEAGUE:
Works the same as a football league. Predict more games correctly and get more wins > more points for you.

*Extra bits:
Once you've signed up you should automatically be a member of the World Cup Prediction League. Keep an eye out on the left hand menu for a message, if it tells you that you are not a member of the league - click on "My Profile", look for the "Joined Leagues" section and check to see if there is a tick in the World Cup box. If not check it and click "Join League".
- Don't worry if your username doesn't show up when you first join. I have to click a button before it does.
*Icons:
I have already upload some icons for you to use. These icons can be seen by other players. (When you are logged in) Click on the current icon below your username. Choose any of the icons there.
You can aslo upload your own using the following instructions::
Click on "My Profile" - look for the upload icon section.
Once the file has been uploaded - do as above - click on your current icon and your uploaded one should be there for you to select. Please keep the icons to a decent size. Max 100x100 and 1000kb.
If you have trouble or want to use a particular image contact me via the about page.

Right that it then. What are you waiting for ?
Get signed up and do your predicts.
New sign ups will close on the morning of JUNE 9th 2006, before the first game.

-> Stuff for you to bookmark or read:

OSWD: The Webblog -
http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/
(I will be posting updates about the Prediction League and World Cup here)

OSWD: The Prediction League -
http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/predictions/

OSWD: The Links -
http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/links/
(More links needed - send them to me)

OSWD: About -
http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/about/
(Has more details plus a contact form)

Read the latest OSWD Webblog updates via email -
http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/20...sts-via-email/

---
At the time of posting this it will be EXACTLY 14 DAYS UNTIL KICK OFF - sign up now !
Old May 26th 2006, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Summer With Des: The 2006 World Cup Prediction League

stickied for the duration....good luck all
Old May 26th 2006, 8:49 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff. I'm in.

As a reminder, i'd also like to get as many expats in my yahoo fantasy WC group as possible. This ones purely for fun and bragging rights on the forum:

http://en.fifaworldcup.fantasysports.yahoo.com/ff

After you sign up, join this group:

Group ID#: 1702
Password: bigmac

Cheers.
Lee.
Old May 30th 2006, 4:24 pm

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

At the time of posting it is 10 Days and 2 Hours until kick off of the 2006 World Cup.

The OSWD Prediction League is still open for signups.
Come on have a go if you think you are hard enough.

WHEN I SIGN UP WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO ?
After you've made a donation to play (which goes into the kitty for the prize) you then click on "My Predictions" and enter in what you think the score of each match will be.
You have up until kick off of each match to enter your guess. All the matches have been entered in so you can do the predictions for all the games now, or wait until before and after each game to see what sort of form each team is in.
If you want to do them all at once then use the BBC match predictor too see which teams you think would go through to the knockout stages.

WHAT IF I DON'T DO MY PREDICTIONS or FORGET TO DO MY PREDICTIONS ?
It is up to you to make sure you enter in a prediction for every game. Don't worry too much if you miss a couple. It does happen. (No we will not enter in exta matches so you can catch up.)
This is a donate to play prediction league so you will still be in the league even if you don't or forget to do your predicts. You've donated so you stay in there no matter what.
- There are some current players who have signed up and haven't donated yet. They will get a reminder to add something to the pot and if they don't then it is automatic relegation (aka deletion) from the league. They will not be allowed to play.
It's not fair on everybody else you see. They've chipped in.
(There is also an option where you can delete yourself from the league if you don't want to continue. Look in "My Profile")

WHAT ABOUT IN THE KNOCKOUT STAGES - WHAT IF IT IS A DRAW ?
If it is still a draw after 90 mins, the final score entered on the prediction league will be the one after after extra time is played. Before the pens.

HOW DOES THE LEAGUE WORK ?
We are still discussing what points to award, but will probably go with:
1 point for the correct result. (eg: you predict 1-0 and the game finishes 2-0)
2 points for a correct score. (eg: you predict 3-1 and it finishes 3-1) - so with the addition of a correct result you would get 3 points.

WHAT IS THE PRIZE FOR WINNING ?
Currently the donation total for the winner is $35 .
But the more people who join and donate - the bigger that amount will be.
PLUS !
I've been scrounging/digging around here and have some more prizes:
- An official Umbro England baseball cap. (Very nice one it is. Navy blue with the 3 Lions badge and gold star on the front, plus the red cross on the lid.)
- The Dam Busters on DVD. (Don't mention the war ! This is a region 2 DVD of the classic. There have been recent reports that Peter Jackson is going to do a remake of this, so your chance to get the original).
- One more DVD (still to be confirmed, there is a tenous link to England and footie with this one too.)

WHERE DO I SIGN UP ?!
Go to: http://worldcup.checkthedryer.com/pr...wuser&lid=2006
AND DON'T FORGET - once you've signed up hit the PAYPAL DONATE button and bung something in the pot. As mentioned it doesn't matter if it's $1 or $10 (but 10 would be nice !).
- You don't need to have a Paypal account. If you have a debit or credit card you can still donate.

So come on England fans - Play the game !
Old May 30th 2006, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://fantasyfootball.metro.co.uk/index.html That's another world cup fantasy thing, wouldn't stand a chance but some mates are doing a mini league on it, but there's a £20K prize for first place or somin', and it's free....thought I'd through that in to the mix if anyone wants some practice
Old May 31st 2006, 6:39 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://fantasyfootball.metro.co.uk/index.html That's another world cup fantasy thing, wouldn't stand a chance but some mates are doing a mini league on it, but there's a £20K prize for first place or somin', and it's free....thought I'd through that in to the mix if anyone wants some practice
(taken from the terms and conditions)

Entry into the Game is open to everyone however only UK residents aged 18 years or over are eligible to win any of the prizes
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
(taken from the terms and conditions)

Entry into the Game is open to everyone however only UK residents aged 18 years or over are eligible to win any of the prizes
plonk ya folks name down then or somin'
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:21 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

Originally Posted by Bob
plonk ya folks name down then or somin'
ay..my old man might be getting a nice big cheque if i win
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:39 pm

Last chance for everyone to join the World Cup Prediction League.
Click the button below ¬ for more info.
New signups clossing tomorrow morning.