Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our rent's going up.... AGAIN

Our rent's going up.... AGAIN

Old Jan 26th 2007, 12:32 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our rent's going up.... AGAIN

Originally Posted by cabritpop
When we left last year we were paying $1195 a month for a 1 bed.
Wow!! Here we are paying $1100 for a 4 bedroom house with a 2+ acre garden......... I can't imagine spending the same amount of money on a 1 bed place.

Jenney & Mark: Sorry to sound negative, but if there is nothing in your lease, there is really not a whole lot that you can do other than talk nicely to your landlord (and hope that they are nice back to you). You already said that you rent works out cheaper than other apartments in the same building, and you are also still allowed to keep your dog there.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Sorry if it seemed like I dropped out of this thread -- I was having connection issues so I couldn't respond!

Cabritpop -- Getting rid of the dog isn't going to happen. She's 12 years old and I've had her since she was a 3-month-old pup, she's been my constant companion my entire adult life. I'm not going to get rid of her just because she makes our housing options a bit more restricted.

Boiler -- Like a lot of large breed dogs, Andie isn't very energetic and has a slow metabolism. She doesn't need a lot of room, so she does just fine in our little place. She gets walked every day, of course, and there is a little dog run the apartment complex built if she needs to run around a bit. (Her little bursts of energy last about 2 minutes, tops.)

Cape Blue -- We have been thinking of asking for $795 because 1) that would be more in line with the $25 increases we've had in the past; and 2) there's just something about crossing the $800 threshold that seems really horrible!

Snowbunny -- Regarding the carpet, I specifically heard the apartment lady telling someone on the phone that their carpet lasts 5 years, which means that number is probably part of their selling spiel. So why not call them on it? We figure it's worth a try.

As far as paying more to live on the ground floor because of the large dog, that actually isn't the case. In the past, I've checked the rental rants for vacancies online, and first floor units are more or less on part with second and third floor units. Everyone who owns a dog here has to pay an extra $500 deposit and $15/month pet fee, regardless of what breed of dog or what floor they live on.

Ok... gotta get ready for work now!

~ Jenney
Certainly in my block of flats the price goes up as you go up the building.

I have a large dog snoozing at my feet, she is 15, never thought she would make it that long. I am "looking after", long story, a 2 year old Golden, she seems to keep the old girl moving a bit more. There was a disagreement over the food the other day, she may be 15 but there are limits, the fact that the Golden is still allowed in the house I put down to her age.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 3:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Certainly in my block of flats the price goes up as you go up the building.

I have a large dog snoozing at my feet, she is 15, never thought she would make it that long. I am "looking after", long story, a 2 year old Golden, she seems to keep the old girl moving a bit more. There was a disagreement over the food the other day, she may be 15 but there are limits, the fact that the Golden is still allowed in the house I put down to her age.
Wow you and the O/P are lucky...when we moved here we couldn't find a rental that would take my 2 dobermans.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:04 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
The inflationary increase from 2001 to present day would bring your rent from $655 up to $767 pcm, if they are heading for $815 they are after an increase above inflation. Offer them the $795 you expected to pay (or perhaps less) - they would be idiots to lose good tenants who always pay and rarely complain. The costs of advertisng for and contracting with new tenants ,plus any potential empty time should help focus their minds.

Always going to be difficult finding a new place with the mutt in tow.

Inflation is irrelavent

When interest rates increase making home ownership and investments more costly people are less able to afford to buy and investors need higher rents to make a reasonable return on their investment
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:07 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wow you and the O/P are lucky...when we moved here we couldn't find a rental that would take my 2 dobermans.
Crikey - you were lucky - as much as I like dobermans myself, many commercial insurance companies refuse to cover those breeds for liability reasons - therefore making it a very stupid thing for a landlord or property management company to accept a tenant with those kinds of animals
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Crikey - you were lucky - as much as I like dobermans myself, many commercial insurance companies refuse to cover those breeds for liability reasons - therefore making it a very stupid thing for a landlord or property management company to accept a tenant with those kinds of animals
No I was unlucky...I had to leave them behind.

I don't think we actually said what type of dogs we had...when we enquired about keeping 'a dog' we were told no.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No I was unlucky...I had to leave them behind.

I don't think we actually said what type of dogs we had...when we enquired about keeping 'a dog' we were told no.
The flat is in London, we have a house here. I would not have had a dog in London, too much of a tie, and I was never there, and of course too small an area.

She is half Chow and half Newfoundland, the Chow element can be an issue with some Insurers, but her temprament is Newfie, I have a picture of babies crawling over her, enough was enough so she eased herslef out and went and found somewhere quieter to snooze.

She has no problems usually with other dogs, as long as they show her due defference.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Inflation is irrelavent

When interest rates increase making home ownership and investments more costly people are less able to afford to buy and investors need higher rents to make a reasonable return on their investment
Investors may need higher rents, but that doesn't mean that the law of supply and demand will allow them to get those rents. What drives rents is essentially growth in wages to pay those rents. A perfect example is the area where I live: one simply cannot get a reasonable return on an investment through rent as the market will not bear the kind of rents that anywhere near approach the carrying costs of ownership; a positive return is wholly predicated through potential capital gains.