Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our move from Chorley to Pittsburgh

Our move from Chorley to Pittsburgh

Old Dec 24th 2015, 4:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our move from Chorley to Pittsburgh

Originally Posted by thinbrit
My US born wife (from Cincinnati) thinks it is 'sexy' when I talk 'in the dialect' as she calls it. The more I lay it on the sexier she thinks it is. .....
Mrs P likes my accent, it is popular with other women too, and it is a rare week when I don't get some tell me that they "just luuurve my accent". As I come from Sheffield my accent seemed to have the opposite effect in the UK.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

OK, one VERY important piece of advice...

If you don't follow (American) Football, learn it! You can't live in or near Pittsburgh without being a fan of the best team in the land, the 'Stillers'!!! (I'm a huge fan, but I live in Georgia).

Learn to say "Yinz" for "you all".

Oh, and visit Primanti Brothers for a sandwich whenever you can (trust me on this one).

All right, I know. That's THREE pieces of advice, but I never said learning to count was important!
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
..... Learn to say "Yinz" for "you all". ....
I have only ever seen it writtens as "yuns" (you ones), and a colleague from Pittsburgh certainly pronounces it that way.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have only ever seen it writtens as "yuns" (you ones), and a colleague from Pittsburgh certainly pronounces it that way.
My late and much missed third grandma said "yuns" too
Old Dec 25th 2015, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, have a great Christmas Yinz

Oh, and I am a non league football fan so will be watching my new team, the Riverhounds!

Last edited by boltonreddave; Dec 25th 2015 at 7:07 am.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...because it's such a defined, legit word, or because you seem to find it necessary to find fault with every post I make?
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf
...because it's such a defined, legit word, or because you seem to find it necessary to find fault with every post I make?
Merry Christmas!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh, FatHeads is MUCH better than Primanti's.

Welcome Dave, I live in Pittsburgh (from Australia), been here for 8 years.

License - you need to get a PA license once you establish a lease here. It totally depends what PennDOT office you go to as to what rules they tell you they need - I find you need to print that PDF and take it with you to show them their own rules. I suggest going to the ALISON PARK PennDOT office - they always know what they are doing there. Do not go to Penn Hills or downtown offices. You can drive on your foreign license (IDP is a waste of time as your license is in English and doesn't mean a thing here) - in fact I drove to my license test on my aussie license then drove home with my US license lol. You cannot take the driver license test in a rental car though (I bought my car using my australian driver license and PA state ID card).

PNC is ok. I prefer Citizens Bank - and they are located in many Giant Eagle grocery stores which is very convenient. Bank account is not difficult, as long as you have a SSN. If you don't it is more annoying but can be done.

Where in Pittsburgh will you live? Pittsburgh housing is very affordable if you plan to buy. School district is important if you have kids - North Allegheny or Fox Chapel (just north of the city) or Mount Lebanon (south of the city) are the best school districts. Pittsburgh city schools aren't horrible, depending on which one you go to.

I can't think of anything at the moment but do ask if you have questions - I love my adopted home of Pittsburgh and second the suggestion to enjoy Steelers football (we just made the playoffs) and Penguins hockey. It really is a great town to live in, there's a lot to do and it's absolutely beautiful.

Edit - it's "yinz" in Pittsburgh.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
You cannot take the driver license test in a rental car though
Yes you can, since you're driving the rental car on a valid, if foreign licence. Been there, done that. Little oik in the DMV refused to accept it, and referred me to his supervisor, who raised her eyes heavenwards and said, don't worry about it, you're good to go.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Yes you can, since you're driving the rental car on a valid, if foreign licence. Been there, done that. Little oik in the DMV refused to accept it, and referred me to his supervisor, who raised her eyes heavenwards and said, don't worry about it, you're good to go.
The license isn't the issue. I believe the rental company contract says it can't be used in a skills test. But that's what PennDOT website says - as I mentioned, noone knows their own rules anyhow and it depends who you get on the day.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 3:55 pm

The license isn't the issue. I believe the rental company contract says it can't be used in a skills test. But that's what PennDOT website says - as I mentioned, noone knows their own rules anyhow and it depends who you get on the day.
That is my understanding of "the issue", but as per Steveq, I believe you can usually "get away with it". I did my test in Herkimer, NY and nobody said anything about it being a rental car.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Ok all, the Mrs entered on her L1 on Sunday at JFK, all easy. I fly to Pittsburgh via Philadelphia tomorrow on my L2. The plan for this week (we are coming back on Sunday) was to:

1. Open bank accounts
2. Apply for my EAD
3. Look for temporary accommodation for when we arrive for the long term in March
4. Maybe apply for SSN's

Now, regarding this last one, I know the advice is wait 10 days but others have been OK after 1 or 2 days. However, our Fragomen friends have advised that you cannot leave the country between SSN application and issue or the system will show you have left and the application will be reset. I quote their e-mail below. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

Additionally, if you do not already possess a social security number (“SSN”), you will need to apply for one at a local U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) office. Before an SSN can be issued to you, the Social Security Administration must verify your nonimmigrant status, using information from the Department of Homeland Security’s Nonimmigrant Information System database. It takes approximately 10 business days from the time you enter the United States for this data to be entered into the system and made available to SSA for verification purposes. Therefore, you should wait at least 10 business days after entering the United States to file your SSN application in order to minimize verification delays. Please note that if you depart the United States while your application is pending, the system will indicate your departure and the application will be suspended and you will have to reapply upon your reentry to the United States.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Ugh, FatHeads is MUCH better than Primanti's.

Welcome Dave, I live in Pittsburgh (from Australia), been here for 8 years.

License - you need to get a PA license once you establish a lease here. It totally depends what PennDOT office you go to as to what rules they tell you they need - I find you need to print that PDF and take it with you to show them their own rules. I suggest going to the ALISON PARK PennDOT office - they always know what they are doing there. Do not go to Penn Hills or downtown offices. You can drive on your foreign license (IDP is a waste of time as your license is in English and doesn't mean a thing here) - in fact I drove to my license test on my aussie license then drove home with my US license lol. You cannot take the driver license test in a rental car though (I bought my car using my australian driver license and PA state ID card)

PNC is ok. I prefer Citizens Bank - and they are located in many Giant Eagle grocery stores which is very convenient. Bank account is not difficult, as long as you have a SSN. If you don't it is more annoying but can be done.

Where in Pittsburgh will you live? Pittsburgh housing is very affordable if you plan to buy. School district is important if you have kids - North Allegheny or Fox Chapel (just north of the city) or Mount Lebanon (south of the city) are the best school districts. Pittsburgh city schools aren't horrible, depending on which one you go to.

I can't think of anything at the moment but do ask if you have questions - I love my adopted home of Pittsburgh and second the suggestion to enjoy Steelers football (we just made the playoffs) and Penguins hockey. It really is a great town to live in, there's a lot to do and it's absolutely beautiful.

Edit - it's "yinz" in Pittsburgh.
Cheers mate, I will let you k ow if I have any questions
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think there's an issue with leaving once you have applied for SSN, but you do need a physical address to send the card to. I went to the East Liberty SSA office, applied, then went back 48hrs later and they gave me a printout of the number. Then I just had to wait for the actual card to arrive, but once you have the number you can do most things you need it for.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Right, i am currently sat in Pittsburgh airport after what I would call a successful trip.

I entered on my L2 3 days after my wife. All was fine apart from a massive queue in Philadelphia. I was not asked for any additional documents.

We opened a bank account with PNC Bank in downtown Pittsburgh. This was easy, just passports, I94 and driving licence needed. We used a business address for initial contact and this was not a problem. Walked out with checks and debit cards will follow this week.

My wife managed to complete an application for a SSN but had been inq the country 3 days longer then me. I was told to come back in 10 days, but as I am leaving again this can wait until next time.

I applied for my EAD. I got a moneygram money order from CVS for the fee and used Fed Ex for delivery. I haven't had my receipt notification yet.

We have taken out a 6 month lease on an apartment. Again this was really easy and just needed passports and I 94's

So, all in all a really good trip, and I enjoyed the atmosphere watching the steelers play off game last night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.