Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our move from Chorley to Pittsburgh

Our move from Chorley to Pittsburgh

Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our move from Chorley to Pittsburgh

Originally Posted by Phyzz
From my experience in the last 12 months regarding PA drivers licence applications.

Although it is not required it is suggested by PennDot (in the link you posted) to obtain an IDP. This will be valid for the 12 months, or whenever it expires. .....
That's because most foreign licences are not in English. If it is in English it is unnecessary.
My understanding is that the 60 days is regarding new residents from other states or Canada. The text you refer to states " if you hold a valid drivers license from another state or Canada ..." ....
The overwhelming majority of new arrivals in PA (or any state) are from another state or Canada, but being from further afield does not excuse you from the requirement to obtain a local license within 60 days, and as embarrassingly easy as the test process is, there is absolutely no good reason not to go ahead and get a local license ASAP. As it serves as a "standard ID", a local license has a myriad uses beyond being evidence of the right (though obviously not the ability ) to drive.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's because most foreign licences are not in English. If it is in English it is unnecessary.

The overwhelming majority of new arrivals in PA (or any state) are from another state or Canada, but being from further afield does not excuse you from the requirement to obtain a local license within 60 days, and as embarrassingly easy as the test process is, there is absolutely no good reason not to go ahead and get a local license ASAP. As it serves as a "standard ID", a local license has a myriad uses beyond being evidence of the right (though obviously not the ability ) to drive.
Getting an IDP is very easy, so why not get one if it is advised?

With (or without) the IDP you are permitted to drive for one year, so you do not need the PA drivers license to drive. As I mentioned there is value in getting the license earlier as a form of State ID which will be needed to register a car. It is not required as you can obtain the State ID without doing any of the driver testing.

I did it this way as I did not know at that point how simple the testing procedure was.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

With (or without) the IDP you are permitted to drive for one year, so you do not need the PA drivers license to drive. As I mentioned there is value in getting the license earlier as a form of State ID which will be needed to register a car. It is not required as you can obtain the State ID without doing any of the driver testing.

I did it this way as I did not know at that point how simple the testing procedure was.
Thanks Phyzz, we are also getting a car through IAS, about 60 days after we arrive actually. Am I safe to assume that there is no obligation to surrender your UK license and that we can continue to drive using it while we go through the PA learner permit and test process?

Dave
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boltonreddave
All confusing - See Page 3 of the attached on Who Needs a PA Licence.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV.../chapter_1.pdf

This is the 12 month. Who would 'visit' for 12 months?

One more question, we would need to start form scratch and apply for a learners permit before taking the tests. Do I have to surrender my UK Licence when I get the Learners permit, effectively leaving me unable to drive alone until I have a full PA licence? Or is the Licence surrender requirement just for out of state US Licences?

Dave
Erm....I just told you, with some examples. You're not visiting.

UK license has nothing to do with this, but having one usually means you forgo the need to do the pre-testy stuff such as having x number of hours and learners ed, you just do the theory test for the learners permit and then book the road test and that's it.

You don't surrender the UK license. You're only meant to have one US state license, so if you move states, you swap it for the state you move to without the need to take another test, usually.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Because it is a waste of a fiver and not needed. It's just a translation of your license and is not valid as a drivers license.

If you have the old paper version of the UK license, it might be handy as a photo ID companion, but that is all.

And you are wrong. You are considered resident of the state once you move there, getting a rental, a job etc. So the 60 day rule applies.

Reality of it though, you probably won't have any issues. Thing is, you get into a fender bender with an expensive car or disable someone, your insurance company will look more closely and you'll have your cover voided for driving without a valid license, which down my way results in your registration automatically being voided too. So you get a ticket for driving without a license, without registration, whatever you did to cause the accident and the massive lawsuit on top and you lose the license before you even get it.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Phyzz, we are also getting a car through IAS, about 60 days after we arrive actually. Am I safe to assume that there is no obligation to surrender your UK license and that we can continue to drive using it while we go through the PA learner permit and test process?

Dave
I obtained an IDP prior to leaving the UK, but this was not asked for at any point when I was taking my tests. For taking the tests at DMV I was a newbie as far as they were concerned .

I was treated in exactly the same way as my daughter when she applied for her learners permit.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

I obtained an IDP prior to leaving the UK, but this was not asked for at any point when I was taking my tests. For taking the tests at DMV I was a newbie as far as they were concerned .

I was treated in exactly the same way as my daughter when she applied for her learners permit.
OK, but after you got your learners permit, and before you passed the tests, can and did you legally continue to drive on you UK/IDP license?
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

OK, but after you got your learners permit, and before you passed the tests, can and did you legally continue to drive on you UK/IDP license?
Yes I did.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I did.
Yep, I just call Penn DMV and they confirmed you are ok on UK license while transitioning from PA learners permit to full license.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:51 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your parole from Lancashire

I was born in Chorley. I've been in the US since 2005. Never looked back.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I just call Penn DMV and they confirmed you are ok on UK license while transitioning from PA learners permit to full license.
Mrs Q did that, but, as others have said, to get a car, I needed a Pa. licence, so I did the test within a month of arriving here.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Congratulations on your parole from Lancashire

I was born in Chorley. I've been in the US since 2005. Never looked back.
Thanks thinbrit. Born and bred in Lancaster but have been in Chorley for the last 8 years. I am looking forward to my Lancashire accent going down a storm. Ey up, is dinner int th'oven?
Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks thinbrit. Born and bred in Lancaster but have been in Chorley for the last 8 years. I am looking forward to my Lancashire accent going down a storm. Ey up, is dinner int th'oven?
Missus and I lived in Lancaster from 2006 - 2014 - nice to know a fellow 'Lancastrian' is moving over

Hoffage
Old Dec 24th 2015, 2:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Now it becomes clear why you would pay for a translation of your driving license.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 4:11 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

My US born wife (from Cincinnati) thinks it is 'sexy' when I talk 'in the dialect' as she calls it. The more I lay it on the sexier she thinks it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.