Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our experience so far...

Wikiposts

Our experience so far...

Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Venus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to all
Default Our experience so far...

Every time I asked something in this forum people have been quick to respond so I thought I shall share our experience so far incase anyone benefits from it.
We moved here ( Provo, Utah) two months ago from Manchester. My husband is doing an MBA so we have F1 and F2 visas.
The whole interview and paper process was quite straight forward. I was so worried about the interview, thinking about all these difficult questions that they were going to ask. But was pleasently surprise that the whole interview lasted 2 minutes. And our visas arrived a week later.
We sold our house and most of our things. We used John Masons for our shipping. We filled under 200cf ( I think that is the size of a transit van) and cost us about 1500 pounds. I can't praised them enough. They were very good. The shipping took 10 weeks to get here, which is what they told us. The guy that deliver the stuff was friendly and efficient. Nothing was broken! We also had to pay$65 custom fee.
My oldest daughter was put on 1st grade even though she is Kindergaten age. But because she already did reception and England and could read and write it wasn't a problem at all. The school is very good, she loves it, well..."It's the best school in the land" ...that is their motto, very humble I guess. But she is happy which is the most important thing.
I had to showed them prove of her jabs so I just photocopied her red book, and they were fine with it.
Sorting out a bank account was quite easy, and we still have to take our driving tests.
So far we are loving it, it helps that I have a lot of family here so they have helped us get settled.
We will be here for three years and we will see what happens.
If anyone has any questions I'm more than happy to help.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:30 am
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Our experience so far...

What are your views on the Rick Sanchez rant?

Could you clearly explain the TARP plan and what it's ramifications are for the future?

What are your views for the future of Graphene and it's uses in the world?

Do you think the WiMAX2 technology can succeed?

Please explain Lytic enzymes?

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior

Could you clearly explain the TARP plan and what it's ramifications are for the future?

I might use that for someone who keeps sending me annoying emails always ending with, "If you have any questions, let me know"

Venus, thank you for a nice update and I'm glad everything is going well for your family.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

and to the OP, glad things are going well!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 1:07 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update Venus, it really helps when we all share our experiences like that. I am so pleased that things are going well for you and your family.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 1:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for taking the time to update us Venus.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Venus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior

Yes I guess I should be more specific on the kind of questions I am qualified to answer! In the meantime here are my unqualified responses:
  • My husband likes Jon Stewart and thinks Sanchez was out of line.
  • TARP is really good for shielding things from the rain, so in the future it will keep your stuff dry.
  • Graphene could be used to make these future TARPs you're interested in.
  • No, the PS4 will beat it hands down.
  • You've got me on the last one.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:29 am
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Venus

Yes I guess I should be more specific on the kind of questions I am qualified to answer! In the meantime here are my unqualified responses:
  • My husband likes Jon Stewart and thinks Sanchez was out of line.
  • TARP is really good for shielding things from the rain, so in the future it will keep your stuff dry.
  • Graphene could be used to make these future TARPs you're interested in.
  • No, the PS4 will beat it hands down.
  • You've got me on the last one.

Good to hear you got things sorted now and best of luck in the future! Thanks for the LoLLers!

P.S. If I can answer any future questions, I am here to serve.