Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our experience of having a baby

Our experience of having a baby

Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience of having a baby

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Wow Bob - I had no idea that you and your wife were having a new baby - Congratulations!

I hope all is well with mother and baby

Is your new baby a boy or a girl? Have you decided on a name?
Wow Bob, I'd completely missed that as well - congrats!!!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Congrats! Consular birth registration? On second thoughts let's not go there!

Reading your post reminded me of the single worst thing about living in the US - dealing with medical insurance. Medical care itself is usually very good but medical insurance issues are the real pain.
I agree completely....medical insurance has to be responsible for lots of high blood pressure issues! Although I do it a lot less after 8 years or so of being here, some of the random hidden uncovered expenses on those "Great Insurance Plans" still puts me in a rage.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I agree completely....medical insurance has to be responsible for lots of high blood pressure issues! Although I do it a lot less after 8 years or so of being here, some of the random hidden uncovered expenses on those "Great Insurance Plans" still puts me in a rage.
The weird one was talking to MIL, when she had her son, my wife's brother. At the time she didn't have insurance because she hadn't been a teacher long enough at the time to qualify.

Had the baby, had complications, but after being stabilised, she was discharged the next day because they didn't have insurance and told to call an ambulance if anything were to happen. That was a little mercenary. This was about 25 years ago though and that hospital where they live is still called the butchers shop for a reason
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, some other completely random bits and pieces.

With our first baby, the hospital gave us a care package that consisted of a wash bowl thingy, snot sucker, a few digital thermometers, a packet of nappies, pack of wipes, massive number of various samples of creams for nappy rashes etc and a couple of dummies.

This time around, we've been given a couple packets of nappies because they were already in the cribs and they were size ones and we needed premies and then new borns now, and we'll be given a weeks supply of pre-made baby formula, a tube of nappy rash cream and we don't know what else.

Some other friends we know were given nothing but the baby outfit and hat that they clothed their baby in. I think a lot of this does depend on the hospital you use and possibly to some extent to the insurance.

Edit: To add, with our first child, the insurance at the time sent us a bunch of books, a What to Expect pregnancy book, a book on breast feeding and general baby nutrition and we got a third baby book I can't remember. This time around we got nothing.

Both occasions the hospital had a lactation consultant to chat with the new mums and go over everything from feeding, pain relief, using a breast pump and all that stuff. This time around, because we were in the ICU, they also had a social worker come chat with mum and myself separately to see how we were doing.

Last edited by Bob; Feb 7th 2011 at 10:56 pm. Reason: adding extra info
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think a lot of this does depend on the hospital you use and possibly to some extent to the insurance.
It also depends on who you encounter even within the same hospital. My wife is a nurse - and I'm not biased when I say she's a fantastic nurse and a fantastic person. She arrives early so she's up to speed on everything when the shifts change and to ensure that no-one has to stay late because of her. She treats patients like she'd want to be treated herself - better than family! And she stays late to make sure her work is done and all her patients are in good shape. Unfortunately not everyone at her hospital has the same outlook.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a nurse - and I'm not biased when I say she's a fantastic nurse and a fantastic person.
In surveys year after year... nursing is consistently ranked #1 as the most trusted profession. My wife is also a nurse... and, by staggering coincidence, also a fantastic nurse and a fantastic person! I think we're both quite lucky!

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

It also depends on who you encounter even within the same hospital. My wife is a nurse - and I'm not biased when I say she's a fantastic nurse and a fantastic person. She arrives early so she's up to speed on everything when the shifts change and to ensure that no-one has to stay late because of her. She treats patients like she'd want to be treated herself - better than family! And she stays late to make sure her work is done and all her patients are in good shape. Unfortunately not everyone at her hospital has the same outlook.
The nurses, pretty much all of them have been superb. Doctors, have been mixed, they're all been really knowledgeable and good doctors, but some were definitely much better people persons and able to explain things well, considering the stress of it all, having one been a bit stiff about it all is a bit annoying, the only one we encountered like that unfortunately happened to be the head honcho
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So we might be able to take our little one home sooner than expected, and get a prescription of caffeine and a breathing/heart monitor.

The doctor said she would call the insurance to see what they would cover, because apart from sleep apnoea episodes, she is good to go and it's only a precaution. Without treatment, she needs to be clear for 5 days, but so far has had a couple of stutters. With treatment, she can be released. Insurance don't seem to have a problem with keeping her in NICU though, so it's personal/financial choice at this point.

We will really see what the deal is on Monday.

The nurse did also tell us to empty basically anything that wasn't bolted down when we left because everything would have to be chucked out, even unopened wipes in the crib draws etc would all have to be chucked.

One nice thing too, we're allowed to grab as many of the Medela Milk Storage tubes as we need/want, which is great as they're something like $30 for 20 tubes in Babies R US, or there abouts.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news Bob
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Excellent news Bob
Aye!

Oh, weird one though, will also have to give vitamin D, apparently all new babies, even none premies are being given it because Rickets is making a come back. I thought they were joking
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye!

Oh, weird one though, will also have to give vitamin D, apparently all new babies, even none premies are being given it because Rickets is making a come back. I thought they were joking
This is the message my husband is trying to get out. He's very involved in research on vitamin D and premature birth.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 3:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So had a word with our insurance because apparently no one was told about the "small" print.

The policies signed up were contingent on the company getting x number of people signing for each plan type, other wise there would be changes to level of cover.

Apparently, because the company has changed the benefits so that part timers can't get health, that's anyone working 35 hours or less, which is quite a large number. And because of the costs of cover, a lot of people have cancelled the cover and gone with their spouses presumably. The company didn't meet their numbers.

The "cheaper" plan went down to having a $500 per incident deductible and a 70/30 cover.

Our "good" plan has a $1000 a year family deductible and then a max 90/10 cover.

Admission to the hospital ER was $500 so we're half way to our deductible already. This is suddenly looking like it is going to be much, much more expensive than we had anticipated.

The caffeine at least is looking like we can get generic prescription if we need it and that'll only be $10 a fill.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the new arrival. For the caffeine, you could set up a drip feed from your local DD's or Starbucks.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Congratulations bob, hope all goes well,

On a side note, my son was born with pneumonia. This was four years ago. I had a just started a new job. It had very basic health insurance that first year.

Anyway, he spent twelve days in NICU. The cost to me? $42,000

Paying $100 a month forever. But it's not necessary to hit the panic button just yet.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:14 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

We just got the insurance statements for the Sproutette - normal delivery and no drama and still looking like $15,000+ (mostly covered thankfully).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.