British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/our-experience-flying-cats-cabin-transatlantic-878755/)

mrken30 Jun 16th 2016 3:43 pm

Re: Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11975232)
The difference is that there is no generally accepted alternative for transporting children. If there was an "infant friendly" cargo hold I would want small children down there too, but there IS a viable alternative for your fur babies. I am glad that the UK requires that it be used for transatlantic flights.

Nuff said. :getcoat:

You can always fly first or business class. It's only UK airlines that require pets to be in the hold. Some transatlantic US airlines still allow it. So everyone has a choice, just fly BA.

Pets are not permitted on flights to, from or through Australia, Hawaii or Micronesia (including Guam) are the only restrictions.

lansbury Jun 16th 2016 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11975430)
You can always fly first or business class. It's only UK airlines that require pets to be in the hold. Some transatlantic US airlines still allow it. So everyone has a choice, just fly BA.

I wonder why the airlines only inflict pets on the riffraff down the back. Have you tried flying BA out of PDX so no in fact there isn't a choice unless you can afford to fly business class.

mrken30 Jun 16th 2016 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11975665)
I wonder why the airlines only inflict pets on the riffraff down the back. Have you tried flying BA out of PDX so no in fact there isn't a choice unless you can afford to fly business class.

The reason being is that on most planes the only under seat storage is in economy. They don't allow pets in the overhead bins. This link explains some of the other stuff. It also lists the planes with the economy restriction.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx

lansbury Jun 16th 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11975723)
The reason being is that on most planes the only under seat storage is in economy. They don't allow pets in the overhead bins. This link explains some of the other stuff. It also lists the planes with the economy restriction.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx

Really I think you will find there is under seat storage in the first class cabin on just about all US domestic flights, even if fortunately a pet carrier will not fit. As to the overhead bins they are used for better things than pets which should be confined in the hold, and the owners charged extra if they want the heat turned on.

mrken30 Jun 16th 2016 9:10 pm

The pod type seats have some underseat storage, the lay flat I think all the space under the seat is for the electric motor for the seat. It's been a while since I have flown first. I find it hard to justify the cost in first for infant seats. Plus I think people in economy and business should only be able to enjoy my screaming kids.

LondonSquirrel Jun 16th 2016 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11975729)
Really I think you will find there is under seat storage in the first class cabin on just about all US domestic flights, even if fortunately a pet carrier will not fit. As to the overhead bins they are used for better things than pets which should be confined in the hold, and the owners charged extra if they want the heat turned on.

That's nasty, if there isn't climate control the pets will die of exposure, so not much point transporting them if they're going to arrive dead. Pets are allowed on trains and buses, btw. I don't see why some people are so anti pet. I've smelt some nasty reeking humans in my time, but I've never smelt a pet that stank half as bad. If you read FlyerTalk there are loads of stories of people having to be squashed next to fat rank people on long flights. I'd rather have a cat in a pet carrier on the seat next to me than share half my seat with a hunk of sweaty human blubber.

mrken30 Jun 16th 2016 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel (Post 11975820)
than share half my seat with a hunk of sweaty human blubber.

I agree , I think anyone over 250 lbs should have to buy the adjacent seat

Lion in Winter Jun 16th 2016 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11975835)

I think airlines should have to provide human-sized seats for long-haul flights. And no, I'm not overweight or even large.

Other than that I would far rather sit next to a cat than a person I don't know for eight hours.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2016 12:12 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11975835)

I agree with your philosophy, but your criteria is flawed, because it needs to be adjusted for height. Based on what you said there are times when I would have been forced to buy the adjacent seat, yet I have always fitted easily within the confines of a standard economy seat. ..... It makes a huge difference when your weight is spread over a frame that is well over 6ft. :)

mrken30 Jun 17th 2016 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11975869)
I agree with your philosophy, but your criteria is flawed, because it needs to be adjusted for height. Based on what you said there are times when I would have been forced to buy the adjacent seat, yet I have always fitted easily within the confines of a standard economy seat. ..... It makes a huge difference when your weight is spread over a frame that is well over 6ft. :)

Maybe just do it on buttock width

LondonSquirrel Jun 17th 2016 3:00 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11975876)
Maybe just do it on buttock width

Lol!

I'm slightly overweight but have a weird proportion probably caused by suffering anorexia as a teenager. I've got an extremely slim bum and legs but a wide waist and belly. Fit into an airline seat easily. I've nothing against overweight people flying and if you've got a fat belly but can get by OK with a seat belt extension it's fine. It's encroachment into the adjacent seat that is the problem. People have suffered serious back conditions as a result of being squished on long flights.

lansbury Jun 17th 2016 7:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel (Post 11975820)
That's nasty, if there isn't climate control the pets will die of exposure, so not much point transporting them if they're going to arrive dead.

There isn't much point really save the cost it is cheaper to get another when you get here.

Bermudashorts Jun 17th 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11974834)
My cat did not howl, did not poop and hopefully didn't smell. He was purring sometimes, admittedly he would have rather been at home, but he felt safe being with me. He was so relaxed at security, I just took him out of the carrier, put him on my shoulder and walked through the xray machine. Then I just calmly put him back in his carrier. Not stress, howling, scratching. Each pet is different, my cat was more like a dog.

Some dogs feel safer and relaxed with their owners, others not so much and would be better off in a darker environment.

Well how lovely for you. But are you able to determine when your cat might decide to poop. I have been a cat owner for most of my 46 years on planet earth and have never been able to predict this.

The very thought that my cat *might* poop and hugely upset the people around me would make me think twice. Cats manage just fine in the hold and probably even better without all those excitable humans around them.

I choose to have some respect for my fellow human traveller.

moneypenny20 Jun 17th 2016 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11976137)
Well how lovely for you. But are you able to determine when your cat might decide to poop. I have been a cat owner for most of my 46 years on planet earth and have never been able to predict this.

I guess you do what you do when they have to go to the vet for an op. Starve them for 12 hours beforehand. I don't think I could do that when they had a long flight ahead of them but each to his/her own.

Bermudashorts Jun 17th 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11976142)
I guess you do what you do when they have to go to the vet for an op. Starve them for 12 hours beforehand. I don't think I could do that when they had a long flight ahead of them but each to his/her own.

Cats can find pop out of sheer stress. Putting a cat in the cabin would be immensely more stressful than the quite containment of the heated hold compartment. I think it is disgusting that people would subject their cat and other people to the stress of the cabin. Not fit to own a cat.