Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Devakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm thinking there is probably not much difference between air fare and air travel for 2 dogs vs the QM2. Plus you get a week's holiday.
If we had flown, the cheapest fare with the dogs, would have been £5885.00 with 2 stops and a 1 1/2 hour layover in Portland and that was over 16 hours before we got to final destination......QM2 will be much better as the husband cannot fly due to wheelchair and going to restroom would have been very difficult for him.......and the QM2 is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us as I do not see us traveling much after this.....
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devakiri
If we had flown, the cheapest fare with the dogs, would have been £5885.00 with 2 stops and a 1 1/2 hour layover in Portland and that was over 16 hours before we got to final destination......QM2 will be much better as the husband cannot fly due to wheelchair and going to restroom would have been very difficult for him.......and the QM2 is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us as I do not see us traveling much after this.....
When we left the ship it went straight into dry dock to be refurbished...enjoy!!

There was a very elderly lady...dripping from head to foot in Chanel...who with her little dog was a regular Cunard traveler. She was travelling to her place in Monte Carlo. Her butler...dressed in a red uniform...walked behind her...carrying the dog on a velvet cushion.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Famous Mortimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devakiri
The husband and I are leaving the UK on 20 September 2016 on the QM2 as this was the easiest way for us to travel with him being in a wheelchair. We are also taking our 2 dogs with us and had planned to take the 2 cats also but decided that the road trip from New York to Idaho would be a bit much for them so have re-homed them here in the UK. The kennels on the QM2 are $800.00 USD for upper kennel and $1,000.00 for lower kennel per animal. Our total fare came to $4997.20 for us and the dogs. We have had this trip booked for a year now and they do fill up fast. I know that is a lot of money but for the peace of mind knowing that the dogs will be taken care of was the clincher for us.
I'll probably end up doing that, but the cost per "upper" and "lower" kennel annoys me. If I can't just buy one, charge me for what it's actually going to cost, don't split it up to try and confuse me.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous Mortimer
I'll probably end up doing that, but the cost per "upper" and "lower" kennel annoys me. If I can't just buy one, charge me for what it's actually going to cost, don't split it up to try and confuse me.
I was just having a look and saw major discrimination between dogs and cats. Cats are double because they have to have their litter tray in a separate kennel.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I was just having a look and saw major discrimination between dogs and cats. Cats are double because they have to have their litter tray in a separate kennel.
And that is bull. I transported my cat twice by car and had a wire kennel in the back seat. The kennel was large enough for the cat, a small litter box, two dishes for food and water and room for him to stand on all four and lay down to sleep without being cramped. How bloody small is the kennel onboard a ship?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 12:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And that is bull. I transported my cat twice by car and had a wire kennel in the back seat. The kennel was large enough for the cat, a small litter box, two dishes for food and water and room for him to stand on all four and lay down to sleep without being cramped. How bloody small is the kennel onboard a ship?
Big enough to take a 25lb animal!
Small upper kennels are (L x W x H) - 30" x 35.5" x 27". A weight restriction of 25lbs or less applies. (Cats have two)
Large lower kennels are (L x W x H) - 30" x 35.5" x 36". A weight restriction of 26lbs or more applies.
Bloody rip off.