Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Have you checked with Cunard about the QM2?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
They have just increased the number of kennels. I believe they tend to be overbooked approx a year in advance. You could be lucky and get a cancellation.

You can also take loads of luggage...as long as it fits in your cabin.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Famous Mortimer is an unknown quantity at this point

That's going to probably be the option, but I was hoping for some bare-bones thing where I could also transport my stuff at the same time. Ah well.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous Mortimer
Well, I was going to go with them and put them in the cabin (I'm not a moron, I'm aware they'd need feeding and so on).
I didn't realise you would be able to travel with them. That is not always the case when you use air cargo. Most of the time you can but it is not guaranteed.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Is QM2 cheap?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is QM2 cheap?

No but it can work out no more expensive that a flight for human + pet/s especially if you've got more than one pet.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is QM2 cheap?
Depends when you want to travel. We went to the UK on the QE2 in May...more or less the same price as the air fare. It's a great way to travel transatlantic IMO...and would not hesitate to do it again if the itinerary fits into our schedule. No idea how much kennels cost.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Depends when you want to travel. We went to the UK on the QE2 in May...more or less the same price as the air fare. It's a great way to travel transatlantic IMO...and would not hesitate to do it again if the itinerary fits into our schedule. No idea how much kennels cost.

Did you do a return on the ship or take the included return flight?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Did you do a return on the ship or take the included return flight?
We booked the cruise with Cunard and the flight back separately with the airline.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Devakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond repute

The husband and I are leaving the UK on 20 September 2016 on the QM2 as this was the easiest way for us to travel with him being in a wheelchair. We are also taking our 2 dogs with us and had planned to take the 2 cats also but decided that the road trip from New York to Idaho would be a bit much for them so have re-homed them here in the UK. The kennels on the QM2 are $800.00 USD for upper kennel and $1,000.00 for lower kennel per animal. Our total fare came to $4997.20 for us and the dogs. We have had this trip booked for a year now and they do fill up fast. I know that is a lot of money but for the peace of mind knowing that the dogs will be taken care of was the clincher for us.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Devakiri
The husband and I are leaving the UK on 20 September 2016 on the QM2 as this was the easiest way for us to travel with him being in a wheelchair. We are also taking our 2 dogs with us and had planned to take the 2 cats also but decided that the road trip from New York to Idaho would be a bit much for them so have re-homed them here in the UK. The kennels on the QM2 are $800.00 USD for upper kennel and $1,000.00 for lower kennel per animal. Our total fare came to $4997.20 for us and the dogs. We have had this trip booked for a year now and they do fill up fast. I know that is a lot of money but for the peace of mind knowing that the dogs will be taken care of was the clincher for us.
I'm thinking there is probably not much difference between air fare and air travel for 2 dogs vs the QM2. Plus you get a week's holiday.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

We booked the cruise with Cunard and the flight back separately with the airline.

Oh, I understood from my brochure that the one-way cruise fare included free return flight from or to NYC. Did you get a discount for having your own return flight?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh, I understood from my brochure that the one-way cruise fare included free return flight from or to NYC. Did you get a discount for having your own return flight?
We didn't look into that...just booked them separately. We flew back from Manchester to Toronto direct.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

We didn't look into that...just booked them separately. We flew back from Manchester to Toronto direct.

Oh I see, so a flight to NYC wouldn't have been much good to you!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh I see, so a flight to NYC wouldn't have been much good to you!
It would have been a pain yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.