Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Old Jun 17th 2016, 10:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Cats can find pop out of sheer stress. Putting a cat in the cabin would be immensely more stressful than the quite containment of the heated hold compartment. I think it is disgusting that people would subject their cat and other people to the stress of the cabin. Not fit to own a cat.
According to people in the past I'm not fit to own a cat either because I made the incredibly hard decision to leave my beloved cat behind when we moved over. As long as airlines allow it, people will do it. I wouldn't but I wouldn't call those that do disgusting and unfit either. It all comes down to the animal and how well their owner knows them.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I guess you do what you do when they have to go to the vet for an op. Starve them for 12 hours beforehand. I don't think I could do that when they had a long flight ahead of them but each to his/her own.
My cat did not poop on the whole journey. I did take a littler tray and some litter with me that I used on my shot stopover. I also had disposable puppy pads in the carrier.

Maybe I vaguely remember my vet telling me not to feed him on the morning of the flight.

That cat was different though. He would sit on you for hours at a time and I could walk around with him on my shoulder for hours. He was very much a one person cat. I have never known another cat like that since. Most cats want 5 to 10 mins of affection and then they are off.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That cat was different though. He would sit on you for hours at a time and I could walk around with him on my shoulder for hours. He was very much a one person cat. I have never known another cat like that since. Most cats want 5 to 10 mins of affection and then they are off.
I used the wee-wee pads in the soft carrier but she didn't use them. She was also a lap cat and walked nicely on a harness. She also loved to travel and enjoyed traveling in the car with her head out the window or with her two paws on the dashboard just watching the world go by. Depends on the cat. Certainly do not consider myself an unfit pet owner. Didn't feel there was any stress for her traveling in the cabin. I'm sure there would have been none in the hold either. However, I was given the option and opted for cabin and happy I did.
Attached Thumbnails Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic-cable-box-warmer.jpg  
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Those who advocate the hold for pets should know that animals can and do die in the hold. There was a story a couple of years ago about some Brits who brought their dog back from Oz on BA. Dead on arrival, they forgot to provide the air and heating, forgot that there was a pet in there.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Cutie kitty there Rete!
Old Jun 19th 2016, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am glad that I never have to share cabin space with a cat or dog on flights into or out of the UK. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, and have co-owned five cats since coming to the US, but airline cabins are already poorly ventilated and full of stinky, whining human beings. I find the thought of sharing cabin space with a small animal unpleasant, especially if it is the person behind me who has an animal with them, because it would be under my seat, whining and whimpering, coughing, vomiting, peeing, or cräpping.
Originally Posted by lansbury
Any cretin who brings animals in the cabin should be thrown out mid Atlantic closely followed by their pet carrier.
Originally Posted by lansbury
I don't particularly care what most European countries do. Inflicting your flea ridden pets on others in a confined cabin is grossly inconsiderate especially on those of us who have allergies.

Have to agree with the above comments. I'm VERY allergic to cats and if I found myself anywhere near one on a plane I would be mightily annoyed.

Cat poop also has a particularly nasty aroma.

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
I'm glad the OP and her furry friends are settling in well but given that some flights have to be peanut free for some allergy sufferers I don't know how pets in the cabin is still allowed. I wouldn't think to advise an airline that my husband has a severe cat allergy and don't relish the thought of attempting to use his epi-pen at 40,000 feet.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Rete
How so? People who are allergic to cats are allergic to their dander. Since they are confined in a carrier and must be kept under the seat at all times, the dander does not have the opportunity to invade the cabin. For those who are allergic to perfumes, etc., that scent is on the person sitting next to you, behind you or in front of you and pervades the entire environment around you.
The OP admitted to taking her cats into the toilet and taking them out of their confines, and letting them 'drink water' ... airline toilets are scary enough without having to wonder whether pets have been using them ...
Old Jun 20th 2016, 12:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Have to agree with the above comments. I'm VERY allergic to cats and if I found myself anywhere near one on a plane I would be mightily annoyed.

Cat poop also has a particularly nasty aroma.

Agreed.

The OP admitted to taking her cats into the toilet and taking them out of their confines, and letting them 'drink water' ... airline toilets are scary enough without having to wonder whether pets have been using them ...
Didn't she say she took them to the toilet during transit stops? Can't remember. I'd rather cats going to the loo in a aeroplane toilet than a couple having sex in one and I'm fairly sure that happens a fair bit.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I would not want my cat drinking out of the toilet.

Today my kid had to pee in the sink because people were taking too long in the stalls. Is that bad?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is beginning to make me feel.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
This thread is beginning to make me feel.
Pets never make me feel ill. People, pretty frequently, do.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Pets never make me feel ill. People, pretty frequently, do.
I agree...I prefer my dog to most people. It's what people allow their pets/kids to do that makes me feel ill.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 12:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Cutie kitty there Rete!
Thank you, LS. Mira passed away last year of a kidney disease. She spent the last few months of life with me having to give her fluids under her skin to keep her comfortable. She was a darling of cat; fourth generation Bengal domestic cat.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Famous Mortimer is an unknown quantity at this point

I got an Uber in Chicago a while back, and the driver was a logistics guy for some transatlantic freight company. He suggested looking into getting a cargo ship over, but so far all the ones I've looked at don't accept pets - understandable, I suppose, given insurance costs and so on.

But does anyone have any better information than me? Any of you done a boat-based pet transport? Luxury is not important, but cheapness is.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Famous Mortimer
I got an Uber in Chicago a while back, and the driver was a logistics guy for some transatlantic freight company. He suggested looking into getting a cargo ship over, but so far all the ones I've looked at don't accept pets - understandable, I suppose, given insurance costs and so on.

But does anyone have any better information than me? Any of you done a boat-based pet transport? Luxury is not important, but cheapness is.
A cargo ship takes days to get over, who is going to feed and water the pet?

The cheapest method is to take the pet in the cabin if you can.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Famous Mortimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrken30
A cargo ship takes days to get over, who is going to feed and water the pet?

The cheapest method is to take the pet in the cabin if you can.
Well, I was going to go with them and put them in the cabin (I'm not a moron, I'm aware they'd need feeding and so on).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.