Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

I flew NYC to PHX with our cat in the cabin. I had to take her out of the carrier so they could x-ray the bag. Cue, a gaggle of young girls waiting in line "aww what a cute kitty".

When getting off at PHX, the lady next to me suddenly found out I had a cat and she remarked about how she didn't even notice, so well behaved. Yay for cat valium.

Of course the cat didn't like the experience and got all depressed because it was 120F and we had no furniture except a blow up mattress. Meanwhile my wife was driving cross country with her best friend in our inherited TownCar stopping at every petrified pigeon museum on Rte 66. A couple of weeks later when the truck arrived with our furniture, the cat jumped up on the bed and all was well.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RainyDays
Even worse: we'd been upgraded from economy to business.
On my flight my only option was to fly economy because there was no under seat option in business to put the carrier.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

However, my main concern when flying my current three kitties is their dafety. So thanks to the OP for sharing.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

However, my main concern when flying my current three kitties is their dafety. So thanks to the OP for sharing.
Normally airlines only allow one pet per traveler when the pet is in the cabin and there is a limit to the number of pets allowed on each flight. Of course there is also a weight limit.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
So is my next door neighbors. The place of Elvis' birth. He is in the Army and stationed now in Fort Shelby so we all reside in Hattiesburg.
Love Hattiesburg - did my undergrad at USM
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I flew NYC to PHX with our cat in the cabin. I had to take her out of the carrier so they could x-ray the bag. Cue, a gaggle of young girls waiting in line "aww what a cute kitty".

When getting off at PHX, the lady next to me suddenly found out I had a cat and she remarked about how she didn't even notice, so well behaved. Yay for cat valium.

Of course the cat didn't like the experience and got all depressed because it was 120F and we had no furniture except a blow up mattress. Meanwhile my wife was driving cross country with her best friend in our inherited TownCar stopping at every petrified pigeon museum on Rte 66. A couple of weeks later when the truck arrived with our furniture, the cat jumped up on the bed and all was well.
One of our cats was right at home the first night here. He was exploring and seemed quite happy to just be out of the carrier - he is quite a bit younger than our other cat. The other one however mostly hid for the first 3 days under the couch and really hasn't left the same room we let him out in when we first arrived except to go to the room with his litter box. We hope he comes around soon. Perhaps when our shipped furniture arrives if not before after reading your experience.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

You're welcome and good luck
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why would traveling in the cabin be any worse in your thinking than traveling in the cargo hold? They are still confined in either circumstance and at least the cabin offers your pet the sound of your voice for comfort.

Surprisingly when I did take her on the plane, the other two seat holders were traveling with their dogs under the seat. Didn't bother my cat for being along a dog and the dogs didn't care either.
As Lizzy said, it would be distressing to have a stressed cat next to me but unable to get her out. I guess it comes down to what your cat is like. My Indi is happy in the car but has to be out, able to wander around to check out her surroundings. Put her in a carrier and she howls continuously. She's deaf so possibly picks up on strange scents more than others (she's definitely more aware than she was when she could hear). It's almost a case of out of sight out of mind - if she was in the hold I wouldn't be able to hear her so I wouldn't stress quite so much.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Some humans stink in a way animals hardly ever do. I'd rather sit next to someone with a cat under their seat in a pet carrier who hasn't been fed for 24 hours and is unlikely to poop, then squashed next to a fat human who reeked of BO. There are all sorts of inconveniences you can get when flying, a lot of it to do with luck (screaming children, someone travel sick puking up next to you, seat pusher-backer, 'air rage' passengers scrapping...) and small animals are likely to cause the least of problems. And I'm sure if the pet did poop, the cabin crew would ask the owner to go into the toilet and get rid of the offending stuff.

As far as I know, allergies to pet hair are rarely fatal, whereas allergies to peanuts can certainly be. And I was going to mention what Rete said about strong perfumes and aftershaves.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am a cat lover and have moved cats to Bermuda and back and to Australia and back. But I think it is highly inconsiderate to bring a cat in the cabin.

Deeply inconsiderate to other people that would have to put up with vocal cat complaining and cat mess smells, but also highly inconsiderate to the cat. Why anyone should be bragging that they did this is beyond me. I find it disgusting.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am a cat lover and have moved cats to Bermuda and back and to Australia and back. But I think it is highly inconsiderate to bring a cat in the cabin.

Deeply inconsiderate to other people that would have to put up with vocal cat complaining and cat mess smells, but also highly inconsiderate to the cat. Why anyone should be bragging that they did this is beyond me. I find it disgusting.
My cat did not howl, did not poop and hopefully didn't smell. He was purring sometimes, admittedly he would have rather been at home, but he felt safe being with me. He was so relaxed at security, I just took him out of the carrier, put him on my shoulder and walked through the xray machine. Then I just calmly put him back in his carrier. Not stress, howling, scratching. Each pet is different, my cat was more like a dog.

Some dogs feel safer and relaxed with their owners, others not so much and would be better off in a darker environment.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

I personally find it disgusting that parents bring screaming kids on flights and force everyone else to listen. People 'brag' that they did that too.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 12:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I personally find it disgusting that parents bring screaming kids on flights and force everyone else to listen. People 'brag' that they did that too.
The difference is that there is no generally accepted alternative for transporting children. If there was an "infant friendly" cargo hold I would want small children down there too, but there IS a viable alternative for your fur babies. I am glad that the UK requires that it be used for transatlantic flights.

Nuff said.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

southernspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't imagine having cats in the cabin. When we took ours to the vets we'd have to drive with all the windows open, in the middle of winter, so we could breathe! We cleaned the cage out once en route but she did it again !
We flew our 3 ponies out to the US with us, they weren't allowed in the cabin though :-)
Old Jun 16th 2016, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Not surprisingly, animals, just like humans, are all different. Our cats had no problem and were very quiet the whole time. No messes, no issues.

For those who find it 'disgusting' (which by the way I wasn't bragging, but trying to help others who may find themselves in a similar situation), as said, as a consumer, you have the power as a consumer to choose an airline that doesn't allow it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.