Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience flying cats in the cabin transatlantic

Originally Posted by Rete
Glad it worked out for you Jennie. I took my cat by plane from New York to Mississippi two years ago and it was great for both her and I to have her in her carrier under the seat. While it was only a short flight in comparison, she was quiet and didn't pee or crap in her carrier. There is a $100 fee from JetBlue for taking your animal with you. Well worth it in my opinion for her safety and my concern.

As for allergies, I would drop those people out the back door who bath in their perfume and scented deodorants. I change seats when I can but usually have to hold something over my noise for during the flight and have the personal 'fan' on to dispel their odor. ....
Hypocrite.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Oh good for you, getting them over in the cabin. I think it's pretty silly that cats and small dogs who will fit under the seat cannot be accommodated in the cabin on direct UK to US flights.
I flew my cat direct from LHX to ORD on United. I believe this is still an option looking at their website.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I don't particularly care what most European countries do. Inflicting your flea ridden pets on others in a confined cabin is grossly inconsiderate especially on those of us who have allergies.
They have to be examined for fleas by a vet and treated just prior to flying. You're more likely to get a flea ridden human on a plane with flea ridden pets at home.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
They have to be examined for fleas by a vet and treated just prior to flying. You're more likely to get a flea ridden human on a plane with flea ridden pets at home.
Worse than that! Bed bugs!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hypocrite.
How so? People who are allergic to cats are allergic to their dander. Since they are confined in a carrier and must be kept under the seat at all times, the dander does not have the opportunity to invade the cabin. For those who are allergic to perfumes, etc., that scent is on the person sitting next to you, behind you or in front of you and pervades the entire environment around you.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How so? People who are allergic to cats are allergic to their dander. Since they are confined in a carrier and must be kept under the seat at all times, the dander does not have the opportunity to invade the cabin. For those who are allergic to perfumes, etc., that scent is on the person sitting next to you, behind you or in front of you and pervades the entire environment around you.
So the cat is transported magically from the concourse and reappears under the seat, right? You're not, for example, waving the cat carrier around as you carry it in front of you as you walk down the aisle of the plane?

If you knowingly introduce one allergen source to an airplane cabin, I don't see you have much of a basis to complain about someone else doing the same thing.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I'm not waving the carrier around in front or me or behind me. The carrier is soft sided with only one small opening in the front for air and that is covered with a fine mesh. The danger of dander escaping is minimal whereas the danger of allergic reaction to someone who dumped a 1/2 bottle of cologne/perfume on themselves is definitely much greater.

Bet you are a heavy user
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it worked out for you Jennie. I took my cat by plane from New York to Mississippi two years ago and it was great for both her and I to have her in her carrier under the seat. While it was only a short flight in comparison, she was quiet and didn't pee or crap in her carrier. There is a $100 fee from JetBlue for taking your animal with you. Well worth it in my opinion for her safety and my concern.

As for allergies, I would drop those people out the back door who bath in their perfume and scented deodorants. I change seats when I can but usually have to hold something over my noise for during the flight and have the personal 'fan' on to dispel their odor.
Thank you Yes, as airlines cram more and more people in a small space, there are many irritations for us all. What I do know is that they are very strict about how many pets are allowed in the cabin and in what parts of the cabin. There are also many airlines that don't allow it at all for those who are very opposed to it.

What part of Mississippi are you? I am originally from Tupelo
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
Thank you Yes, as airlines cram more and more people in a small space, there are many irritations for us all. What I do know is that they are very strict about how many pets are allowed in the cabin and in what parts of the cabin. There are also many airlines that don't allow it at all for those who are very opposed to it.

Whilst I can't imagine ever putting my cat through a long trip in the cabin, I'd be seriously naffed off if I was told I couldn't take my cat, then got on board and found a load of cats there.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Some humans stink in a way animals hardly ever do. I'd rather sit next to someone with a cat under their seat in a pet carrier who hasn't been fed for 24 hours and is unlikely to poop, then squashed next to a fat human who reeked of BO. There are all sorts of inconveniences you can get when flying, a lot of it to do with luck (screaming children, someone travel sick puking up next to you, seat pusher-backer, 'air rage' passengers scrapping...) and small animals are likely to cause the least of problems. And I'm sure if the pet did poop, the cabin crew would ask the owner to go into the toilet and get rid of the offending stuff.

As far as I know, allergies to pet hair are rarely fatal, whereas allergies to peanuts can certainly be. And I was going to mention what Rete said about strong perfumes and aftershaves.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My cat traveled on the seat on the transatlantic part. They even asked someone if they wanted to move to allow him a seat. I doubt if that would happen today.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 3:09 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

As I travelled alone with my 2 cats when I brought them over I could not have had them both in the cabin with me. I was happy for them to travel in the hold as:

i) I was on a direct flight MAN-JFK
ii) I did all the arrangements myself (American Airlines in October 2014 - I don't think that is an option now)
iii) They had more space in their hard sided carriers than in a small soft sided carrier
iv) If they had been with me I think they would have been more distressed that I couldn't let them out etc than on their own.
v) I would have been more stressed if they were distressed.

The staff at Manchester were excellent and let me know that the cats were loaded and strapped down before I boarded myself. On arrival at JFK they arrived at the outsize baggage point before my suitcase arrived on the carousel and were perfectly calm - calmer than after the 5 hour car journey from Manchester to Pembrokeshire which they made on a regular basis.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh

So is my next door neighbors. The place of Elvis' birth. He is in the Army and stationed now in Fort Shelby so we all reside in Hattiesburg.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of that time my husband and I moved from San Francisco to New York with our 3 cats in the cabin. One of our cats bit and scratched the security person who tried to check out his carrier. That same cat pooped on the flight and my husband and I were so embarrassed by the almighty smell that we wrinkled our noses and frowned as though we had no idea where the smell was coming from. Even worse: we'd been upgraded from economy to business.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:08 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Whilst I can't imagine ever putting my cat through a long trip in the cabin, I'd be seriously naffed off if I was told I couldn't take my cat, then got on board and found a load of cats there.
Why would traveling in the cabin be any worse in your thinking than traveling in the cargo hold? They are still confined in either circumstance and at least the cabin offers your pet the sound of your voice for comfort.

Surprisingly when I did take her on the plane, the other two seat holders were traveling with their dogs under the seat. Didn't bother my cat for being along a dog and the dogs didn't care either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.