British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Our Daughter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/our-daughter-432695/)

Tipsy Mar 6th 2007 3:37 pm

Our Daughter

To clarify I'm British and my wife is American with a leave to stay in the UK. As far as I'm aware we can register our daughter (born in the UK 4 years ago) with the US and get her a US passport from the UK. However this requires a trip to London which is at best expensive and a waste of a day.

So I'm wondering if it's possible/advisable to do this once we have moved to the USA given her age etc? If it's something that really should or must be done before we go then we're happy to do it. As I say though, if we can avoid the expense and journey it would help.

neil Mar 6th 2007 3:48 pm

Re: Our Daughter

Originally Posted by Tipsy (Post 4489160)
To clarify I'm British and my wife is American with a leave to stay in the UK. As far as I'm aware we can register our daughter (born in the UK 4 years ago) with the US and get her a US passport from the UK. However this requires a trip to London which is at best expensive and a waste of a day.

So I'm wondering if it's possible/advisable to do this once we have moved to the USA given her age etc? If it's something that really should or must be done before we go then we're happy to do it. As I say though, if we can avoid the expense and journey it would help.

I don't know much about this situation but wouldn't there either have to be a trip to London for the visa or for a passport. Might they even indicate at the time of visa processing that she should be using a passport rather than a visa because she is a USC? Hopefully someone can help a bit more.

cruickies Mar 6th 2007 3:54 pm

From my own investigations...as far as i can tell, if your child has the right to US citizenship, you have to apply for the citizenship and not for a visa.
In my case, I am the USC but have never lived there and so can't transfer my citizenship to my kids.

Tipsy Mar 6th 2007 4:05 pm

Sorry for any confusion in my post. Yes exactly that- we need to get citizenship for her (i.e a USA passport). However, as I understand it, to do this from the UK you apply and are given an appointment date to go down to London with all the relevant paperwork to get this. Although a simple day trip and much easier than the Visa stuff I'll have to go through it's still expensive and awkward to get down to London for an additional day.

Hence the reason I was wondering if for her we could simply register her birth while in the US and sort anything else out over there. Being as she does not need a Visa per se, just an American Mother I thought it may be an option although obviously could be very wrong on this hence the post.

AmerLisa Mar 6th 2007 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tipsy (Post 4489160)

In order for your daughter to claim US citizenship, you must register her birth (and get a US passport) with the American Embassy in London. She must travel on her US passport to the US, especially if she's staying.

Tipsy Mar 6th 2007 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 4489280)
In order for your daughter to claim US citizenship, you must register her birth (and get a US passport) with the American Embassy in London. She must travel on her US passport to the US, especially if she's staying.

Fair enough. As I say, wasn't sure if it was something that could be done once we got there to save the London trip but if it can't be avoided then not to worry :)

AmerLisa Mar 6th 2007 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tipsy (Post 4489293)
Fair enough. As I say, wasn't sure if it was something that could be done once we got there to save the London trip but if it can't be avoided then not to worry :)

The London trip isn't fun, I know.;) But you'll still have to go there for your visa, won't you? :confused:

Tipsy Mar 6th 2007 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 4489300)
The London trip isn't fun, I know.;) But you'll still have to go there for your visa, won't you? :confused:

Yep, but I read that the citizenship etc for our daughter needs an appointment which would mean an additional trip as they would propbably be on different dates. Either way it's something I'll look into further on the small chance I can get them to make it the same day.

AmerLisa Mar 6th 2007 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tipsy (Post 4489307)
Yep, but I read that the citizenship etc for our daughter needs an appointment which would mean an additional trip as they would propbably be on different dates. Either way it's something I'll look into further on the small chance I can get them to make it the same day.

I didn't remember it being an appointment, but its been a few years.....

Good luck on all your trips down, hopefully they won't be too bad.

Tipsy Mar 6th 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 4489315)
I didn't remember it being an appointment, but its been a few years.....

Good luck on all your trips down, hopefully they won't be too bad.

Have to admit I could easily be wrong on that as obviously you read an awful lot when looking into a move like this. If we can simply 'pop-in' so to speak then wonderful :)

Thanks for the good wishes. Checking with the in-laws tonight that they will sponsor me then off goes the I140 and the waiting begins :)

Rete Mar 6th 2007 4:51 pm

No. The birth must be registered with the Department of State which is the US Consulate. It cannot be registered once you return to the US.

As others have said, register her birth when you go to the US Consulate in London for your IR-1 Visa. You will have to go there for that you know. If it is quite a ways in the future, then register your daughter's birth ASAP.

Originally Posted by Tipsy (Post 4489244)
Sorry for any confusion in my post. Yes exactly that- we need to get citizenship for her (i.e a USA passport). However, as I understand it, to do this from the UK you apply and are given an appointment date to go down to London with all the relevant paperwork to get this. Although a simple day trip and much easier than the Visa stuff I'll have to go through it's still expensive and awkward to get down to London for an additional day.

Hence the reason I was wondering if for her we could simply register her birth while in the US and sort anything else out over there. Being as she does not need a Visa per se, just an American Mother I thought it may be an option although obviously could be very wrong on this hence the post.

Rete Mar 6th 2007 4:52 pm

Why are you filing a labor certificate? Your petition number is off I believe. And you don't file it, your wife files it. You have absolutely nothing to do with it other than be the beneficiary.

Bob Mar 6th 2007 4:58 pm

Your going to the consulate anyway, so what's the bother?

And as a USC, your daughter has to use a US passport to enter the US, so yeah, you'd need a US passport before heading over to the US.

Tipsy Mar 6th 2007 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 4489422)
Why are you filing a labor certificate? Your petition number is off I believe. And you don't file it, your wife files it. You have absolutely nothing to do with it other than be the beneficiary.

Perhaps because I made a simple typo? Happens. But then it also has nothing to do with the original question as such. If you really want to start worrying about the typo it should have read I130 rather than I140.

Whatever though. Only one or two bothered to read the posts properly and for those that did and posted useful replies many thanks.

Rete Mar 6th 2007 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tipsy (Post 4489530)
Perhaps because I made a simple typo? Happens. But then it also has nothing to do with the original question as such. If you really want to start worrying about the typo it should have read I130 rather than I140.

Whatever though. Only one or two bothered to read the posts properly and for those that did and posted useful replies many thanks.

Excuse me but do you have a problem? My advice regarding your daughter was correct and useful. As was my question about your typo? Perhaps others didn't point it out because they did not read carefully and/or because they don't know about the different forms.

Also you have nothing whatsoever to do with the I-130. You do not sign it. You do not write on it. It is your wife's petition for an immediate relative visa for you. The only thing you have to do with the I-130 is complete an G-325A.

Your portion of the Immediate Relative Visa comes after the I-130 is approved.

Since you are the one who claims not to be able to read a US Consulate website comprehensively, I find it ironic that you find fault with my asking you if you wrote the wrong petition number.

I will from this point onwards leave you to wonder through the maze without my assistance.

Good to find out about people before you expend too much time on them.