Wikiposts

Ouch!

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Liquid
I think I've said this before but I will say it again...!

I was quoted over $2K for 6 mths on my Rav4 initially. I put my girlfriend on my insurance and it brought it down to $700 for 6 months. It turns out that they used credit history to find out whether you can drive (!!!!!) and since I have none and hers is A1 that is how it came down so much.

I am with Allstate.
Allstate Insurance Company is the normal company..they dont mention it but there is also Allstate Indemnity Co for the bad risks, with much higher rates
I expect you was on the latter first and then got into the former
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

We've just paid $585 for 6 months to cover my aged dodge caravan and his jeep cherokee .. thats with Geico and was 'bout $150 less per year than most other insurers for this area.

Jan

ohh ps .. have no idea what type of cover we have tho :\
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
We've just paid $585 for 6 months to cover my aged dodge caravan and his jeep cherokee .. thats with Geico and was 'bout $150 less per year than most other insurers for this area.

Jan

ohh ps .. have no idea what type of cover we have tho :\
Thats about what we pay here I expect your on the Mimimum
for MI 20/40/10 we are also with GEICO
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:04 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Have you double checked with Safeco that they got all your details correct and took into consideration your UK driving record? I'm asking as we have our insurance with safeco too and it's no where near that expensive. For 2 drivers aged 38 and 33 driving a Chevy Cavalier and a Ford Explorer, our original premium was $1600 for 6 months. It's gone down a bit since then, and when we change the high cover levels it will go down even more hopefully . I can only imagine there has been a humongous cock up to come up with that figure.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:40 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

we pay $1200 for 6 months for 2 cars. I am still in under that dreaded 3 year license thing, that will end spring next year.

we used a agency that found the cheapest insurance for us and it was under Progressive.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:44 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
we pay $1200 for 6 months for 2 cars. I am still in under that dreaded 3 year license thing, that will end spring next year.

we used a agency that found the cheapest insurance for us and it was under Progressive.
forgot to say, if we get into a crash (wreck)....we have to pay $1000 detuctible right off the bat.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:54 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
forgot to say, if we get into a crash (wreck)....we have to pay $1000 detuctible right off the bat.
Of course, you'd be daft to put in a claim if the car repair is $1000 or less, right?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:10 am
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Of course, you'd be daft to put in a claim if the car repair is $1000 or less, right?

NC Penguin
I might be a dollard, but I aint that stupid

Anyways, $1000 hardley pays for those dickheads that slam THEIR door into YOURS whilst parking at Home depot these days

Add on the baseball sized hail stones, and you could be shelling out a grand every other month.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:42 am
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, don't know if they'll be any better, but maybe try Amica... www.amica.com

My husband moved here in May, bought a new car in July, and I added him to my insurance. I think for him, a year of coverage will be about $800 (in Maryland), which is similar to my own rate.

I don't think that being added to my existing insurance policy made it cheaper for him, but maybe that was it; I'm not sure.

Good luck anyway!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:50 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ouch!

Originally posted by ray6
The minimum coverage for arizona is 15/30/10 sound like the quote you got was for 100/300/100 or even more..standard insurance scam...
you existing driving record means nothing ..you start all over again

STANDARD INSURANCE SCAM?

Are you off your trolley?
If you cause and accident and write off someones new car, cause injuries chances are your gonna need more than $30,000

Most financed vehicles, the leinholder STIPULATES you have at least 100/300 to stop you getting sued and having the bailiffs at your house driving your car away to public auction.

In this litigious society $15,000 per person per accident or $30,000 total is peanuts.

State Farm, Regards.
not a scammer, it would be unethical of me to cover someone for Michigan State minimums and let them think they are adequately covered.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:43 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by manc1976
STANDARD INSURANCE SCAM?

If you cause and accident and write off someones new car, cause injuries chances are your gonna need more than $30,000

Most financed vehicles, the leinholder STIPULATES you have at least 100/300 to stop you getting sued and having the bailiffs at your house driving your car away to public auction.

In this litigious society $15,000 per person per accident or $30,000 total is peanuts.

State Farm, Regards.
not a scammer, it would be unethical of me to cover someone for Michigan State minimums and let them think they are adequately covered.

Ahhhhh manc's our bloke in the know!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:06 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Liability is the cheapest insurance you can get.
the difference between having 20/40/10 and 100/300/100 is very small comparitively. Maybe $100 tops over a 6 month policy.
Hardly a scam.

Anyhoo as I mentioned. If you have 20/40/10 and plow into a kid and their parents sue you for half a million dollars, then the $20,000 in coverage you have isn't going to cover it.
The other $480,000 will have the bailiffs around at your house and have you filing chapter 11.

In at fault insurance states I would strongly recommend 250/500/250 coverage, and if you own your own home/snowmobiles/jetski's (Ie you have a lot of assets) get a PLUP too.

Jan, in Michigan we are a no fault state, you can only be sued under your Personal Injury limits of 100/300 (or state minimums of 20/40) if you kill someone, disable, or disfigure them.
However once you drive into the redneck hick places like Ohio and Indiana, Michigan no fault insurance flies out of the window.

Also if your car is hit while prked and unoccupied it is classed as a property claim, not a vehicle collision and therefore your deductible will not apply (if your car was the one that was hit.)

Manc1976 is license in Property and Casualty, Life and Health insurance in the great State of Michigan. Unlike the many disclaimers about not being a lawyer, I am an insurance agent.

Last edited by manc1976; Nov 3rd 2003 at 10:14 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:09 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

So what should she expect to pay a fair insurance company for the 2004 Ford Focus?

(Personally I'd buy a used one untill you can build up some good driver discounts)

You're not driving to CT from AZ every month are you?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl ..... That hurts! Can anyone recommend anything slightly less painful?
If you can bear to wait, wait until you get a U S drivers licence. Part of the "ouchie factor" is that you are an unknown quantity while you are on a non-US licence. So, while shopping forquotes be sure to ask what the rate would be if you did have a US licence, albeit a new one.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:36 pm
Ray

Originally posted by manc1976
STANDARD INSURANCE SCAM?
State Farm, Regards.
You may be an ethical agent and I am sure you are...
But a lot of US insurance companies are not
Do a search of Google for 'state farm litigation' or Allstate for that matter...I am no expert in US insurance but my wife has been for 25+years, and knows every slam, slide and trick in the book...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.