Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT: Why www.britishexpats.com

OT: Why www.britishexpats.com

Old Jul 18th 2002, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorsea1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: Why www.britishexpats.com

I've just started to use Britishexpats to browse the newsgroup, and I must admit it is much nicer than google. A lot quicker and with a better layout. Just my tuppence worth.
Old Jul 18th 2002, 1:20 pm
Hilary

> No.

This sort of post is why you *should* quote the other post, so people know what your
reply refers to. Not everyone uses a threaded newsreader, and posts with no clues as
to subject are frustrating.

--
Hilary

Old Jul 18th 2002, 2:20 pm
L D Jones

Hilary wrote:
    >
    > > No.
    >
    > This sort of post is why you *should* quote the other post, so people know what
    > your reply refers to. Not everyone uses a threaded newsreader, and posts with no
    > clues as to subject are frustrating.

Agreed. Proper usenet posting means that the relevant sections of the article one is
replying to should be quoted. (but not the whole thing!) This page contains some good
links for anyone who cares

http://www.webliminal.com/Lrn-web05.html

Old Jul 18th 2002, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hilary
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> No.</font></i>

This sort of post is why you *should* quote the other post, so people know what your
reply refers to. Not everyone uses a threaded newsreader, and posts with no clues as
to subject are frustrating.

--
Hilary
Reading on British Expats didn't help with the "no" post either.
Old Jul 18th 2002, 3:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And good usage also means a person doesn't post in HTML as several of our regular posters do. It is unsightly and difficult to read.

As for threadless reading, I never encountered a source that doesn't provide threaded reading. Even my days of using Outlook Express, Usenet and the source before google, were all threaded.

Rete
Old Jul 18th 2002, 4:20 pm
Paul

In article <[email protected]>, L D Jones
<"in#$&&_valid"@yahoo.co.uk> writes
    >Hilary wrote:
    >>
    >> > No.
    >>
    >> This sort of post is why you *should* quote the other post, so people know what
    >> your reply refers to. Not everyone uses a threaded newsreader, and posts with no
    >> clues as to subject are frustrating.
    >
    >Agreed. Proper usenet posting means that the relevant sections of the article one is
    >replying to should be quoted. (but not the whole thing!) This page contains some
    >good links for anyone who cares
    >
    >http://www.webliminal.com/Lrn-web05.html

Though you should also have a proper .sig and quote the reference to the article
you're responding to.
--
paul 58-77 Sheffield 77-79 Coventry 79-88 Sheffield 88-97 Milton Keynes 97-99 London
99-00 Seattle 00-?? Fremont

Old Jul 18th 2002, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
And good usage also means a person doesn't post in HTML as several of our regular posters do. It is unsightly and difficult to read.

Rete
Whoops!

I totally agree, Rita, about British Expats (as BE's second most prolific poster, I have to!).

It makes reading the newsgroup so much more pleasant. Occasionally it misses a few posts, but I think it has been better lately. Google is only good if you want to do some research of old messages (or reminisce!).

OE is okay, but I like the bulletin board presentation of a web-based system much better. And I am techy enough to manage OE, even when I'm having a blonde moment - but this doesn't mean I don't appreciate good presentation.
Old Jul 18th 2002, 5:20 pm
Hilary

> Though are there many people still using non-threading newsreaders?

I use pine normally. When I am forced to use Google, I turn off the frame because
it's so annoying. I think the last time I saw user stats it was something like 20%
use a non-threaded news reader.

--
Hilary

Old Jul 18th 2002, 5:20 pm
Hilary

> >> This sort of post is why you *should* quote the other post, so people know what
    > >> your reply refers to. Not everyone uses a threaded newsreader, and posts with no
    > >> clues as to subject are frustrating.
    > >
    > >Agreed. Proper usenet posting means that the relevant sections of the article one
    > >is replying to should be quoted. (but not the whole thing!) This page contains
    > >some good links for anyone who cares
    > >
    > >http://www.webliminal.com/Lrn-web05.html
    >
    > Though you should also have a proper .sig and quote the reference to the article
    > you're responding to.

I don't leave in all the OP lines unless it actually matters who said what.
Normally, I'm replying to the message, not the poster, so I snip all the messy
irrelevant stuff...

--
Hilary