Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT - users names.

OT - users names.

Old Jul 29th 2002, 1:52 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default Re: OT - users names.

My name comes from the term of endearment, rather the term of address, here in Baltimore (Bawlamer to the locals), "hon". Practically everyone gets called "hon". My first name is "Beth", hence the msb. Since these kinds of forums never let you register with commas and such, (Reads as "Miz B, hon") it morphed into ms_bhon.
I also post on the Lonely Planet (the guidebook has a wonderful website with bulletin boards on travel, politics, culture, food, and everything else at http://www.lonelyplanet.com - click on the "thorn tree"). I use that as my "handle" there as well. To keep people from adressing me as ms_bohn, I added "That's Miz B, hon!" to my sig line.
Here's a link to a Bawlmerese dictionary: http://www.baltimorehon.com/
Old Jul 29th 2002, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Camerican
Gee, I never thought of that. I guess we could call ourselves Canamericans, but that sounds awfully much like an airline! I guess we could just say, "We're Americans, eh" (dead giveaway)
but Ameracadians is over the top!

Grins

Us oldies but goodies here on the NG usually refer to ourselves as Can/Ams. Hence the signature line of many of us as being
Can/Am Alumni '98 :-)

I called a recent naturalized Canadian citizen a Yanuck for Yank and Canuck. BTW there is one member of the NG who abhors the term "Canuck" and will rant to the death against the use of this slang term because they feel it is insulting.

My Canuck takes it as a term of endearment (given the tone of voice used to say it of course).

Rete and Jim
Can/Am Alumni '98
Old Jul 29th 2002, 5:20 pm
Mrs_blackross

it's a term of endearment to anyone who has a sense of humour about themselves. see
the first line of my signature.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Camerican wrote:
    > > Gee, I never thought of that. I guess we could call ourselves Canamericans, but
    > > that sounds awfully much like an airline! I guess we could just say, "We're
    > > Americans, eh" (dead giveaway) but Ameracadians is over the top! Grins
    >
    >
    >
    > Us oldies but goodies here on the NG usually refer to ourselves as Can/Ams. Hence
    > the signature line of many of us as being Can/Am Alumni '98
    >
    > I called a recent naturalized Canadian citizen a Yanuck for Yank and Canuck. BTW
    > there is one member of the NG who abhors the term "Canuck" and will rant to the
    > death against the use of this slang term because they feel it is insulting.
    >
    > My Canuck takes it as a term of endearment (given the tone of voice used to say it
    > of course).
    >
    > Rete and Jim Can/Am Alumni '98
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 29th 2002, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

icantthink is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine comes from a time when I was trying to register for an online service, and every time I picked a username, it was not available.

After about 20 tries, I yelled out (in frustration) "I can't think, dammit!!"

My wife tells me she saw a light bulb pop on top my of head
Old Jul 29th 2002, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

She'll probably kill me for this, so if you don't hear from me, you'll know why !
My nickname for my wife is PandaBird.

I "met her" on the internet 18 months ago, and we met a month
afterwards (at Heathrow Airport) and "just knew"

The first photo she sent me she was wearing sun glasses (hence the panda) and she's a "bird" (London expression)

RIP Roger
Old Jul 29th 2002, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
I know this is a serious news group however I wonder sometimes
how some of you chose your usernames/nicnames.
There are some odd/unusual ones !!
Mines simple - It's my name ;o)

Good luck to all and keep "asking away"

Roger
Mine is simple too...Singapore is renowned as 'The Garden City of the Far East'... hence the nickname I chose...

There you have it
Gardencity