Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT: Not A Yuppie or a Puppie; Uninteresting Personal Info

OT: Not A Yuppie or a Puppie; Uninteresting Personal Info

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 5:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: Not A Yuppie or a Puppie; Uninteresting Personal Info

In the current cigarette post, it was hinted that I was older than most non-smokers who are a generation below me. Well guys and gals, I am about two generations or more removed from you all.

I'm 54, birthday is in June. I graduated high school with a NYS regent's diploma and secretarial degree and a member of the national honor society, red cross club, and senior class secretary. I married at age 20 for the first time and became a mother that year as well. By the age of 23 I had two lovely daughters and by the age of 27 I was divorced and loving it. I was never on welfare and have worked as a secretary (legal field) for over 36 years. At age 28, I went to college in teh evenings full time and maintained a 3.25 index for my degree in business management. I've also worked as many as three jobs a week, one full and two part, to make ends meet. I lucked out on having good babysitters and parents close by. I remarried at 50 with one very serious happy and beautiful love affair during the time between. And no, that love was not my current husband, Jim.

I've traveled some (not as much as I would like to in Europe) and consider myself well read and fairly well informed on current events. I love the oldies but goodies and classical music but not opera. I love the theatre and ballet

I'm also a b.i.t.c.h. and opinionated but other than voicing that opinion, I don't try to sway people to my way of thinking because I honestly believe everyone is entitled to their opinions. I like to think I listen to reason when reason is given but then that is my opinion ;-)

I am hearing impaired which in many ways has interfered with my social habits. Hard to be around people who are so self-conscious that they prefer to whisper rather than speak in a conversational tone of voice. (Try listening to the volume many people speak in and you will see that people who are shy or self-conscious will speak softly while those who are confident will speak at a conversational level.)

I've had breast cancer at the age of 42 and obviously survived and helped start a chatroom for cancer survivors in 1993. This chatroom ultimately led me to Jim through my friendship with his sister-in-law and her sister, Jim's wife (they were legally separated).

In my thirties I was a secretary for my town's local chapter of Parents Without Partners and was able to work with NOW on writing up a proposal to change the laws regarding child suppport.

Rete
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

beershake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: Not A Yuppie or a Puppie; Uninteresting Personal Info

This is certainly not uninteresting info Rete..

This sounds like the story of a fighter and a survivor and is actually quite interesting to read. You should write a book about your life..

Reading about some of the challenges you went through helps put things in perspective for us.

I was going through old postings and I read somewhere that you were getting laid off. Sorry to hear that. With so much knowledge and experience on the INS and immigration process, I imagine you would be able to find another job pretty quick in a law firm in NY.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 8:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by beershake:
This is certainly not uninteresting info Rete..

This sounds like the story of a fighter and a survivor and is actually quite interesting to read. You should write a book about your life..

Reading about some of the challenges you went through helps put things in perspective for us.

I was going through old postings and I read somewhere that you were getting laid off. Sorry to hear that. With so much knowledge and experience on the INS and immigration process, I imagine you would be able to find another job pretty quick in a law firm in NY.
Thanks. I accepted a new position that I interviewed for on Tuesday. They came back with a good offer so I'm moving up to the entertainment law.

Rete
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

beershake is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news. Entertainment law should be interesting...
Hope you don't forget about the newsgroup! Your input and comments are valued alot here..
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 10:40 pm
Grinch

"beershake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Hope you don't forget about the newsgroup! Your input and comments are valued
    > alot here..

Valued? I just think she is an opinionated Bitch!

Grinch

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

peaches is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be nice you learn something new. I hope you like the new job.
This may also be off topic but my fiance quit smoking the day we met first. He handed me the box and said I quit for you. I never asked him to do and told him I would take him as he was. But he did know I had some health issues that make it hard for me to be around people who smoke. I can actually die from 2nd hand smoke. But I know it is impossible to get away from smoke so I learn to live with and was willing to accept him because I love him. Both my parents had smoked and they had to also quit for my health as a child. And recently the surgeon told my dad it is good thing he did or he would have been dead. He just had 5 heart bypasses. Apparently smoking has something to do with it. But I am sure diet did too.
Old Sep 4th 2002, 1:20 am
Possumrex

By the time this is posted I am sure it will only be one among a flood of thank you
messages responding to your very interesting post, Rita. Thank you for your good
heart. You answered a question for me just last week about moving to another service
area. You answer so many questions with such authority. You are helping so many
people. I wish we could throw a party in your honor!

Old Sep 4th 2002, 8:47 am
Des

Congratulations Rete!!! That is wonderful news..
- Des

Old Sep 4th 2002, 9:35 am
Gabriela

And what makes you say that mister? You see that for many of us she is a
great help...

"Grinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] hlin-
k.net
    > "beershake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hope you don't forget about the newsgroup! Your input and comments are valued
    > > alot here..
    > Valued? I just think she is an opinionated Bitch!
    > Grinch

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:48 pm
Mrs_blackross

probably because he is the resident asshole of the newsgroup.

...or was that resident smartass?

"Gabriela" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > And what makes you say that mister? You see that for many of us she is a
    > great help...
    > "Grinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > hlink.net
    > >
    > > "beershake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > Hope you don't forget about the newsgroup! Your input and comments are valued
    > > > alot here..
    > >
    > > Valued? I just think she is an opinionated Bitch!
    > >
    > > Grinch
    > >
    > >
    > >

Old Sep 4th 2002, 2:57 pm
Mjones

No, I am the resident asshole. Ask Roger. Mike

"Mrs_Blackross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > probably because he is the resident asshole of the newsgroup.
    > ...or was that resident smartass?

Old Sep 4th 2002, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mjones:
No, I am the resident asshole. Ask Roger. Mike

Hardly, but if you want to be, feel free.
I've met bigger assholes than you at a flower arranging evening
Old Sep 4th 2002, 5:33 pm
Jeb

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > In the current cigarette post, it was hinted that I was older than most non-smokers
    > who are a generation below me. Well guys and gals, I am about two generations or
    > more removed from you all.
    > I'm 54, birthday is in June. I graduated high school with a NYS regent's diploma
    > and secretarial degree and a member of the national honor society, red cross club,
    > and senior class secretary. I married at age 20 for the first time and became a
    > mother that year as well. By the age of 23 I had two lovely daughters and by the
    > age of 27 I was divorced and loving it. I was never on welfare and have worked as
    > a secretary (legal field) for over 36 years. At age 28, I went to college in teh
    > evenings full time and maintained a 3.25 index for my degree in business
    > management. I've also worked as many as three jobs a week, one full and two part,
    > to make ends meet. I lucked out on having good babysitters and parents close by.
    > I remarried at 50 with one very serious happy and beautiful love affair during the
    > time between. And no, that love was not my current husband, Jim.
    > I've traveled some (not as much as I would like to in Europe) and consider myself
    > well read and fairly well informed on current events. I love the oldies but
    > goodies and classical music but not opera. I love the theatre and ballet
    > I'm also a b.i.t.c.h. and opinionated but other than voicing that opinion, I don't
    > try to sway people to my way of thinking because I honestly believe everyone is
    > entitled to their opinions. I like to think I listen to reason when reason is given
    > but then that is my opinion ;-)
    > I am hearing impaired which in many ways has interfered with my social habits.
    > Hard to be around people who are so self-conscious that they prefer to whisper
    > rather than speak in a conversational tone of voice. (Try listening to the
    > volume many people speak in and you will see that people who are shy or
    > self-conscious will speak softly while those who are confident will speak at a
    > conversational level.)
    > I've had breast cancer at the age of 42 and obviously survived and helped start a
    > chatroom for cancer survivors in 1993. This chatroom ultimately led me to Jim
    > through my friendship with his sister-in-law and her sister, Jim's wife (they were
    > legally separated).
    > In my thirties I was a secretary for my town's local chapter of Parents Without
    > Partners and was able to work with NOW on writing up a proposal to change the laws
    > regarding child suppport.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Rete,

WTG, congratulations on the new job, they are so lucky to have you working in their
firm. I have been following this NG for about 1 1/2 years now while going through my
own process and dealing with all the INS papers and filings, and as I have said
before that you have been very informative and helpful to me and also to everyone you
happen to touch in the NG. Your story was both interesting and fascinating, you have
been there and done it all....cheers to you )) Jewel

Old Sep 4th 2002, 11:37 pm
James Donovan

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Thanks. I accepted a new position that I interviewed for on Tuesday. They came
    > back with a good offer so I'm moving up to the entertainment law.
    > Rete

Please, just don't side with the RIAA when comes to freedom of file trading on
the internet.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 2:42 am
mjones

Must have been one of your self-arranged pity parties. Probably you were the only one
there. Try ikebana. There is some self discipline there. I am glad you have arrived
here in the US ok. Maybe you can now disappear from the group like everyone else who
takes, then splits.

On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:27:57 +0000, rogerpenycate <[email protected]> wrote:

>Originally posted by Mjones:
    >> No, I am the resident asshole. Ask Roger. Mike
    >> Hardly, but if you want to be, feel free. I've met bigger assholes than you at a
    >> flower arranging evening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.