Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT: Male Self-Sufficiency

OT: Male Self-Sufficiency

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: Male Self-Sufficiency

There has been said in the thread about "How Old Are You" thread about the American Male being so self-sufficient and that this is such a desirable quality to the foreign wife who married an American male.

I would like to know from the American WIVES of this NG is your foreign husband self-sufficient and willing to help with chores around the house.

For myself, my first husband was a USC and he never had a problem with caring for the children, i.e. changing diapers, giving baths, doing laundry but for him a kitchen was a foreign country and the instructions were in a language he could not understand.

My significant other who I lived with for close to seven years before he died was also a USC and he could cook and wash and iron. He mowed the lawn, painted the house, did carpentry and worked on the cars. He could not clean a house to save his beautiful soul.

Now my foreign husband is a Canadian and he can cook, clean, iron, wash clothes, build computers, and handle a remote control on an Olympic level. He raised his three children with a wife or mother and makes a mean Canadian Spaghetti Sauce that is raved about from Alabama to Pennsylvania to New York to Florida and New Jersey and back again.

So you USC Ladies, tell us about the domestic skills of your foreign spouse.

R
Old Jun 3rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Donna Maindraul

Default Re: OT: Male Self-Sufficiency

In article <[email protected]>, Rete <[email protected]> wrote:

> So you USC Ladies, tell us about the domestic skills of your foreign spouse.

I'm married to the only French man in the world who cannot cook. He's rather picky
about what he eats, though, as in "Could you please make some mayonnaise for my
sandwich?" My American first husband could eat the Hellmann's out of the jar.

-Donna

Old Jun 4th 2002, 12:20 am
L D Jones

Rete wrote:
    >
[ ... ]
    > Now my foreign husband is a Canadian and he can cook, clean, iron, wash clothes,
    > build computers, and handle a remote control on an Olympic level. He raised his
    > three children with a wife or mother and makes a mean Canadian Spaghetti Sauce that
    > is raved about from Alabama to

I'm not a wife (I'm the self-sufficient American husband, except in the kitchen) but
I want to know: what is Canadian spaghetti sauce? A recipe (if it's not secret) would
help, so my wife can make it for me

Old Jun 4th 2002, 2:20 am
Aangiela

My UK fiance is pretty self-sufficient except when it comes to the kitchen. He can
make a mean cheese toastie, however. This I don't mind because my best friend who is
a gourmet chef has given me a great appreciation for cooking. We have an
agreement--I'll make the money and do the cooking, and he'll do the house work.

I was thinking of getting him a cute little apron as a wedding gift, but I think that
might be too much.

Angie

Old Jun 4th 2002, 2:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

LOL here. I gave one for an engagement present and have a picture of him wearing it ;-0

As for the Canadian Spaghetti sauce will dig out the cookbook with Jim's own recipe in it for you and type it up and post it. An internet friend of ours who is confined to a wheelchair needed a motorized van so that we could drive from the chair. Her church gathered recipes from far and wide and Jim contributed his so it is his very own recipe which is in print and I will re-print on the NG.

You have to make his mayo? Wow I am impressed at your skills (not at his insistence though) Think I would take the Hellman's and bottle it my own jar let him think it was fresh made. LOL.

R
Old Jun 4th 2002, 3:20 am
John & Deb

Rete wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > R

Oh geez Rita ... I just had to jump in on this one. I'm the USC and can cook, clean,
change diapers (hundreds of them) Iron clothes, do laundry (yes I seperate the
clothes) perform rudimentary Carpentry, Build antennas (Hobby) draw, dance and sing
(as off key as anybody else). The only thing I'm not really good at is knowing when
I should just jump in there and do some of these things. I sometimes need a little
hint (smack on the head or other such stimuli). So there :þ~~~~~

Old Jun 4th 2002, 9:20 am
Rogerpenycate

Hi Rete, I turn my hand to most things, but not to good at the dusting and polishing,
and the places that noone else can see. I reckon I'm an OK cook and once cooked a
chinese meal for 5 people from fresh ingredients ! (A bit like Graham Kerr, if you
remember him) When I went to see Ida in March 2001 I offered to cook a typical
English meal for her house mates, and opted for "Sausage Toad in the Hole" What a
disaster, the thing was so burnt, it ended up being used as a frisbee, I blamed it on
not knowing the intracacies of their cooker, and they banned me from the kitchen.
Lucky Rog.

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > There has been said in the thread about "How Old Are You" thread about the American
    > Male being so self-sufficient and that this is such a desirable quality to the
    > foreign wife who married an American male.
    >
    > I would like to know from the American WIVES of this NG is your foreign husband
    > self-sufficient and willing to help with chores around the house.
    >
    > For myself, my first husband was a USC and he never had a problem with caring for
    > the children, i.e. changing diapers, giving baths, doing laundry but for him a
    > kitchen was a foreign country and the instructions were in a language he could not
    > understand.
    >
    > My significant other who I lived with for close to seven years before he died was
    > also a USC and he could cook and wash and iron. He mowed the lawn, painted the
    > house, did carpentry and worked on the cars. He could not clean a house to save his
    > beautiful soul.
    >
    > Now my foreign husband is a Canadian and he can cook, clean, iron, wash clothes,
    > build computers, and handle a remote control on an Olympic level. He raised his
    > three children with a wife or mother and makes a mean Canadian Spaghetti Sauce that
    > is raved about from Alabama to Pennsylvania to New York to Florida and New Jersey
    > and back again.
    >
    >
    > R

Old Jun 4th 2002, 12:20 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: Male Self-Sufficiency

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > There has been said in the thread about "How Old Are You" thread about the American
    > Male being so self-sufficient and that this is such a desirable quality to the
    > foreign wife who married an American male.
    >
    > I would like to know from the American WIVES of this NG is your foreign husband
    > self-sufficient and willing to help with chores around the house.

Prior to Deana staying home with Caroline we pretty much split things 50/50. After
that it became harder for her to get some things done and easier for others so now I
do almost all the cooking and washing up, some of the laundry (and, of course, the
usual husband chores like the trash and mowing the lawn); Deana does most of the
laundry, vaccuuming and the cleaning. That works out better anyway because I enjoy
cooking and, although I will clean, I won't meet Deana's exacting (did someone say
anal ) standards!

Of course Deana's biggest job is being mummy.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 4th 2002, 2:20 pm
Betastar

Reinhard's Garlic Pork Chops are one of my favorite meals in the whole world, and
while he's willing to let the dishes stack up in the sink longer than I am, he does
do them eventually.

As for cleaning, he's neater than I am in that respect, though I'm cleaner than he
is. (I don't think he sees dust - his vision's too bad )

When it comes to laundry, he says he can do it, but I usually tell him I'll do it...
though he still hasn't caught on that I don't always put it away immediately. The
good old "Do I have any clean socks?" question is almost always answered by "Check
the laundry room". That he hasn't caught on to yet in the last year and a half

Really, the only thing he grouses about doing is taking out the garbage, but I knew
that was his least favorite thing to do before we married.

Other than that, he's good about doing chores and helping around the house if he
thinks of it, or if he's asked. But he's usually distracted by 1000 other things to
think of it.

Betsy

Old Jun 4th 2002, 6:20 pm
Michele Sharik

My first husband was a USC and couldn't boil water without burning it. Seriously! He
couldn't even make packaged macaroni & cheese! (That's "Kraft Dinner" to you Canucks
out there.) The man had a doctorate, but couldn't operate a dishwasher or a washing
machine. Very frustrating.

My current husband is Canadian and when he first came to the US last year, I was the
sole wage-earner for our household (until we moved to California). He took to the
househusband thing like a fish to water. He cooked, cleaned, washed, tidied, dusted,
etc., etc., better than I ever did. The man is simply amazing.

Now that we live in California, he's the primary wage-earner (computer consultant)
and I am mostly responsible for household maintenance. I have a part-time job,
though, and so can't do 100% of it. He says that's ok. He's always saying, "I have
hands, too." and cheerfully pitches in with whatever needs to be done, or whatever I
ask him to
do.

-Michèle (US) & Brian (CAN) Detailed Timeline: http://ladysun1969.tripod.com Oct 11,
2000: met (in person) in Dallas, TX June 16, 2001: married in Las Vegas July 10,
2001: submitted I-485/I-130 package (Cleveland) August 14, 2001: EAD & SSN August 17,
2001: fingerprints August 21, 2001: AP January 21, 2002: moved to San Francisco May
28, 2002: AOS interview (SF) -- given 90 day Continuance for Medical Exam June 1,
2002: INS Medical Exam

Old Jun 4th 2002, 7:20 pm
Ranjini

Just printed out Rita's Canadian spaghetti sauce. Betsy, would love to have
Reinhard's Garlic pork chops How about it ?? TIA Ranjini

"Betastar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Reinhard's Garlic Pork Chops are one of my favorite meals in the whole world, and
    > while he's willing to let the dishes stack up in the sink longer than I am, he does
    > do them eventually.
    >
    > As for cleaning, he's neater than I am in that respect, though I'm cleaner than he
    > is. (I don't think he sees dust - his vision's too bad )
    >
    > When it comes to laundry, he says he can do it, but I usually tell him I'll do
    > it... though he still hasn't caught on that I don't always put it away
    > immediately. The good old "Do I have any clean socks?" question is almost always
    > answered by "Check the laundry room". That he hasn't caught on to yet in the last
    > year and a half
    >
    > Really, the only thing he grouses about doing is taking out the garbage, but I knew
    > that was his least favorite thing to do before we married.
    >
    > Other than that, he's good about doing chores and helping around the house if he
    > thinks of it, or if he's asked. But he's usually distracted by 1000 other things to
    > think of it.
    >
    > Betsy

Old Jun 4th 2002, 11:20 pm
Betastar

On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:57:24 GMT, "Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just printed out Rita's Canadian spaghetti sauce. Betsy, would love to have
    >Reinhard's Garlic pork chops How about it ??

I don't even know the recipe! I don't know that there is a recipe... but I'll ask
him.

Ok - here's what he said he does.

First, salt both sides of the meat - to taste, but there should be some salt on them.
Then, for each pork chop, crush about 3 cloves of garlic. Spread the garlic on *one*
side of the pork chop only. (I also like it when he slits the meat open and puts some
small chunks of garlic actually inside the meat....) Put the chops into a non-stick
pan, or a pan with a little oil (very little - you'll be making gravy, too!) with the
side with the garlic facing UP. (So non-garliced side down...) Put the rest of the
garlic from the head in the pan to brown on the side. (Can you tell we like garlic?)

Sautee over high heat until the bottom is browned. Turn over, and turn down the heat
to medium or medium-high, and cook the side with the garlic on it. Occasionally flip
the meat over.

When the garlic starts to get brown, pour a little water in (say about
1/2 cup for 4 pork chops) to make a gravy from the drippings.

Pour the gravy over the meat and over baked potatoes.

Deeee-licious!

Old Jun 5th 2002, 12:56 am
Concierge

Beta

Have you or Reinhard tried what my mother (who was German) called German pork and sauerkraut. You take a rolled pork roast, make slits with a sharp knife throughout the roast, slip in a crushed clove of garlic and then rub with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 1-1/2. Then take a large jar of sauerkraut (not canned), wash thoroughly, remove the roast, mix the kraut, chopped onion and garlic with the dippings from the roast. Place roast back on top and then add a nice German beer ... not a light beer or a dark beer ... but one like St. Pauli Girl, etc. Use 1/4 to 1/2 a can at first. Check roast periodically, mixing the kraut and if drying out, add more beer until the roast is done. Serve with spatzle or potato pancakes or potato dumplings. Delicious!

Rita
Old Jun 5th 2002, 2:20 am
Ranjini

Thanks Betsy. Just gotta try it. Ken loves his pork chops. Thanks once again, Ranjini

"Betastar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:57:24 GMT, "Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Just printed out Rita's Canadian spaghetti sauce. Betsy, would love to
have
    > >Reinhard's Garlic pork chops How about it ??
    >
    > I don't even know the recipe! I don't know that there is a recipe... but I'll
    > ask him.
    >
    > Ok - here's what he said he does.
    >
    > First, salt both sides of the meat - to taste, but there should be some salt on
    > them. Then, for each pork chop, crush about 3 cloves of garlic. Spread the garlic
    > on *one* side of the pork chop only. (I also like it when he slits the meat open
    > and puts some small chunks of garlic actually inside the meat....) Put the chops
    > into a non-stick pan, or a pan with a little oil (very little - you'll be making
    > gravy, too!) with the side with the garlic facing UP. (So non-garliced side
    > down...) Put the rest of the garlic from the head in the pan to brown on the side.
    > (Can you tell we like garlic?)
    >
    > Sautee over high heat until the bottom is browned. Turn over, and turn down the
    > heat to medium or medium-high, and cook the side with the garlic on it.
    > Occasionally flip the meat over.
    >
    > When the garlic starts to get brown, pour a little water in (say about
    > 1/2 cup for 4 pork chops) to make a gravy from the drippings.
    >
    > Pour the gravy over the meat and over baked potatoes.
    >
    > Deeee-licious!

Old Jun 5th 2002, 3:20 am
Betastar

On 5 Jun 2002 01:20:12 GMT, Rete <[email protected]> wrote:

>Beta
    >
    >Have you or Reinhard tried what my mother (who was German) called German pork and
    >sauerkraut. You take a rolled pork roast, make slits with a sharp knife throughout
    >the roast, slip in a crushed clove of garlic and then rub with salt and pepper.
    >Roast in the oven for 1-1/2. Then take a large jar of sauerkraut (not canned), wash
    >thoroughly, remove the roast, mix the kraut, chopped onion and garlic with the
    >dippings from the roast. Place roast back on top and then add a nice German beer ...
    >not a light beer or a dark beer ... but one like St. Pauli Girl, etc. Use 1/4 to 1/2
    >a can at first. Check roast periodically, mixing the kraut and if drying out, add
    >more beer until the roast is done. Serve with spatzle or potato pancakes or potato
    >dumplings. Delicious!

He's never had it (he'll point out he's Austrian and not German, and the cuisine does
differ )

But I have the feeling I'll be asked to bring a pork roast and some sauerkraut home
some time this week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.