Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT: INS proposes 30 day cap on tourist visas

OT: INS proposes 30 day cap on tourist visas

Old Apr 9th 2002, 5:51 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default OT: INS proposes 30 day cap on tourist visas

Hi-
Someone in Lonely Planet posted this link:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/08/vis....ap/index.html

It seems the INS is proposing a 30 day cap on tourist and business visas. This could seriously affect family visits and the currently badly hurting tourist industry. Who can do a tour of the US is 30 days? The article does not indicate if it will affect Visa Waiver eligable countries.
Old Apr 9th 2002, 6:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: INS proposes 30 day cap on tourist visas

Just some thoughts:

In actuality, how many people, worldwide, can afford to "tour" the entire US, or really what to? If not in terms of money, than in terms of time? Europeans get 4 weeks or so in vacation per year? Plus holidays? For family members coming to visit children who migrated to the US, realize it will be difficult to part again after a short time but isn't a tourist visa only that? For tourism? Not for making the US a second home away from home.

Wonder if this will include Canada as well? If so, whatever are all the Snowbirds going to do come the Canadian winters? Opt for the coldest and wettest months of the year for their migration south?

I can see benefits in the plan. I can see problems in the plan from the viewpoint of enforceability. Can also see that the family whose child is living here in the US and wants to visit to help with a new baby, perhaps, or just to enjoy time with them, will find it a hinderance.

Interesting topic for discussion actually.
Old Apr 9th 2002, 6:52 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

The people who would tour the US would be people who, recently out of university, save up a bundle of money and see the world- or at least our corner of it on a shoestring. I met one of my closest friends back in our early twenties when she came over from the UK to tour the US with a friend of hers. She was over here like 3 or 4 months.
People do do it.

As I needed to apply for a tourist visa when I went to Australia, who knows how other countries will reciprocate. And you can bet after flying all that way, I was there longer than 30 days (6 weeks and it still wasn't long enough)

Considering I saw this posted on the Lonely Planet forums, this would be of great concern for other budget travelling backpackers who travel on a shoestring, stay in youth hostels, and try to see a great deal of a country (US, Australia, or the European continent) before settling down.

Not to mention relatives who come to visit family they never see and want to stay longer than a month.

Its a big deal, I'd say....
Old Apr 9th 2002, 8:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I remember hearing/reading about those days when Mom and Dad gave the college/high school graduate a trip to Europe. And yup, those were the days when one could do Europe on $5 a day and stay at youth hostels. College students I know today are too busy studying and/or partying and don't have time to work along with college courses so they haven't been able to save a bundle.

I agree that some retirees have the time and the money to do the grand tour of our country and others. (pouting here because I won't ever be in that position;-( )

But what you mentioned is not quite what I read online in the paper this morning. I read that the tourist will have to provide hotel reservation information and for extended trips they will have to show their ability to financially take care of themselves and their expenses while traveling. Guess it depends on what you read and the fact that it is not law yet.
Old Apr 9th 2002, 8:10 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: INS proposes 30 day cap on tourist visas

Those were my initial thoughts - based on proposals made the other week. However,
the current proposals are slightly more balanced than that and seem to make
sense. Basically the idea is that you have to demonstrate a need (and money) for
the duration you say you need. If you don't, you'll get 30 days instead of the
six months:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/pu...srels/visa.htm

However, I don't believe for a second that this would have any negative impact on
potential terrorists.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "ms_bhon"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi- Someone in Lonely Planet posted this link:
    > http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/08/vis....ap/index.html
    >
    > It seems the INS is proposing a 30 day cap on tourist and business visas. This
    > could seriously affect family visits and the currently badly hurting tourist
    > industry. Who can do a tour of the US is 30 days? The article does not indicate if
    > it will affect Visa Waiver eligable countries.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 9th 2002, 8:40 pm
Andy Platt

As I posted, according to the proposals on the INS website, this would be a
legitimate reason to be granted a stay longer than 30 days. I do have some concerns
on little issues that will crop up though - for instance, if you expect to stay for
two months and have a return ticket for that and the INS inspector decides you should
only stay a month, will they have a problem because suddenly your return ticket is
"out of range"?

We'll see what happens over the next little while - this is out for comment
after all.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "ms_bhon"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The people who would tour the US would be people who, recently out of university,
    > save up a bundle of money and see the world- or at least our corner of it on a
    > shoestring. I met one of my closest friends back in our early twenties when she
    > came over from the UK to tour the US with a friend of hers. She was over here like
    > 3 or 4 months. People do do it.
    >
    > As I needed to apply for a tourist visa when I went to Australia, who knows how
    > other countries will reciprocate. And you can bet after flying all that way, I was
    > there longer than 30 days (6 weeks and it still wasn't long enough)
    >
    > Considering I saw this posted on the Lonely Planet forums, this would be of great
    > concern for other budget travelling backpackers who travel on a shoestring, stay in
    > youth hostels, and try to see a great deal of a country (US, Australia, or the
    > European continent) before settling down.
    >
    > Not to mention relatives who come to visit family they never see and want to stay
    > longer than a month.
    >
    > Its a big deal, I'd say....
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Rete and Jim (Can/Am Alumni '98)
    >
    > The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope
    > http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm Update AOS Experiences at:
    > http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html Update POE Experiences at:
    > http://www.k1poelist.com/ Update AOS filing: http://www.kamya.com/aos/ I-130/I-485
    > Helpsite at: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm AOS filing; AOS,
    > I-130 and K-1 Interview Experiences: http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html
    >
    >

Old Apr 10th 2002, 6:06 am
Mdudall

Just to throw in my two cents... On the notice I received from AILA about this topic,
it states, "The proposed rule will eliminate the current maximum six months admission
period for B-2 visitors for pleasure, replacing it with ""A period of time that is
fair and reasonable for the completion of the purpose of the visit"". When a B visa
holder applies for entry to the United States, they will be required to explain to an
INS inspector the nature and purpose of their visit so the inspector can determine
the appropriate length of stay. While INS inspectors will make every effort to
determine a fair and reasonable time period, the burden of proof rests with the
alien. When the time needed to accomplish the purpose of the visit cannot be
determined, INS will grant a 30-day period of admission".

Me again. The INS inspectors have always has the job of trying to determine the
"intent" [immigrant vs. nonimmigrant] of the person applying to enter the U.S., but
it appears that they will also have to now become experts in travel itineraries to
determine "a period of time that is fair and reasonable for the completion of the
purpose of the visit". Makes me think that processing people at the POE will slow
down quite a bit, but heck, maybe they will just default to the 30-day period of
admission (by concluding that they can't determine the time needed to accomplish the
purpose of the visit).

All of this attention on visitors makes me wonder if they will ever go as far as
saying no more AOS for visitors who marry (instead, require them to depart the U.S.
and shift that burden onto the Consulates to determine who should be "let back in"
with an immigrant visa... an easy way to pass the buck to the DOS). I really doubt
that would ever happen, but we may see better record keeping, notes being made about
what is said at the POE (speculation on my part here).

As far as enforcement goes, AILA put out their spin on a proposed DOJ position
whereby they want local police and other law enforcement agencies to start enforcing
the immigration laws. I won't repost that here, but I'll bet you can find it on some
of the attorney sites (plus non-attorney sites) that republish that sort of INS news.
Worth reading.

One final bit of info received from AILA today concerns mandatory surrender for
people with final removal orders. The INS is proposing a rule that will require
aliens who are subject to final orders of removal to surrender themselves within 30
days to INS once those orders become final. Anyone who fails to surrender as required
will be denied discretionary relief from removal, including asylum, adjustment to
permanent resident status, change of status, waivers of inadmissibility for
immigrants, cancellation of removal, voluntary removal, registration of LPR status,
at any time while he or she remains in the U.S., and for a period of ten years after
the alien's departure from the U.S.

Again, there is a little more to that news item from AILA, and I'm sure you will find
the complete report on some of the sites that republish this sort of thing.

Old Apr 10th 2002, 11:40 am
Andy Platt

"MDUdall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Me again. The INS inspectors have always has the job of trying to
determine the
    > "intent" [immigrant vs. nonimmigrant] of the person applying to enter the
U.S.,
    > but it appears that they will also have to now become experts in travel itineraries
    > to determine "a period of time that is fair and reasonable for
the
    > completion of the purpose of the visit". Makes me think that processing
people
    > at the POE will slow down quite a bit, but heck, maybe they will just
    > to the 30-day period of admission (by concluding that they can't determine
the
    > time needed to accomplish the purpose of the visit).

As I posted in another message, Tobago did the same thing when I went on honeymoon.
Now, obviously the number of visitors to Tobago is a drop in the ocean compared to
the visitors to the US and, presumably, Tobago is not that concerned about illegal
immigration, but when a plane load of tourists land you would expect such questions
would slow things down - not a bit of it. Just as fast as coming in on a visa waiver
to the US.

What I have a concern over is that we'll see further discrimination because of this
with INS inspectors allowing young 20-somethings from rich countries to backpack
around the US for three months but not allowing Indian parents to come for a six
month stay with their child.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. .

Old Apr 10th 2002, 8:10 pm
George Charpied

ms_bohn,

My wife tells that, in Bulgaria, her home, the American Consulate has placed
a 'determination time' on tourist visas of six months. No tourist visas will
be granted in any time before six months. Is this something new in general or
specific for Bulagria (Middle Europe)?

George

ms_bhon wrote:
    >
    > Hi- Someone in Lonely Planet posted this link:
    > http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/08/vis....ap/index.html
    >
    > It seems the INS is proposing a 30 day cap on tourist and business visas. This
    > could seriously affect family visits and the currently badly hurting tourist
    > industry. Who can do a tour of the US is 30 days? The article does not indicate if
    > it will affect Visa Waiver eligable countries.
    >
    > --

Old Apr 11th 2002, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

mdeveaux is an unknown quantity at this point

VWP requires reciprical arrangements with USA.

30 day rule is will give some British tourist and business visitors an extra layer of red tape.

US Citizen visiting UK, will therefore have an unfair advantage over British Citizens visiting USA (this could be over their ability to negotiate contracts or parents visiting children and grand-children for the summer).

Unless exempt, Britain should respond in kind.
Old Apr 11th 2002, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Uh, don't most VWP countries already allow US citizens to visit for up to 6 months? I'm pretty sure the UK does. How long has the US allowed VWP visitors to stay in the US? 3 months. Why would Britain complain any more than they might have when the VWP was first put in place? Seems to me the US has always made it harder for visitors to visit!

By the way, I don't think it's Indian mothers coming to visit the US when their song or daughter has a baby but even when he or she marries their spouse. There're some Indians who used to work for us that got married and their mothers come and go every 3 months to stay with the couple and/or their babies. I wonder how the INS will handle them?
Old Apr 12th 2002, 1:10 pm
Price

timiny74 wrote:
    >
    > Uh, don't most VWP countries already allow US citizens to visit for up to 6 months?
    > I'm pretty sure the UK does. How long has the US allowed

I think it's 3 months not 6

Old Apr 16th 2002, 12:40 pm
Andy Platt

"mdeveaux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > VWP requires reciprical arrangements with USA.
    >
    > 30 day rule is will give some British tourist and business visitors an extra layer
    > of red tape.
    >
    > US Citizen visiting UK, will therefore have an unfair advantage over British
    > Citizens visiting USA (this could be over their ability to negotiate contracts or
    > parents visiting children and grand-children for the summer).

It should be noted that the requirement that the visa waiver program has on
reciprical arrangements does not mean that the other country will not implement
something for US citizens if it is not in the visa waiver program. The UK allowed US
citizens to travel to the UK visa free years before the US allowed UK citizens to
travel to the US on the visa waiver program.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 16th 2002, 12:40 pm
Andy Platt

"price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > timiny74 wrote:
    > >
    > > Uh, don't most VWP countries already allow US citizens to visit for up to 6
    > > months? I'm pretty sure the UK does. How long has the US allowed
    >
    > I think it's 3 months not 6

For the UK it's definitely six months. My wife has about twelve of the stamps in
her passport!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 16th 2002, 3:15 pm
Concierge

You don't mean Deana has lived in the UK for 6 months 12 times. You mean that the stamp indicates that the length of stay, if so chosen, would be maximum 6 months per visit.

Re4te

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.