Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT INS propose change to length of Visitor visa.

OT INS propose change to length of Visitor visa.

Old Apr 9th 2002, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT INS propose change to length of Visitor visa.

The INS is proposing to reduce from six months to 30 days the amount of time a business traveler or tourist can stay in America. And the agency will make it more difficult to extend a stay.

Visitors will have to show unexpected or compelling reasons for an extension, such as the need for medical treatment or a delay in completing a business matter, according to an INS official who did not want to be identified.

"These new rules strike the appropriate balance between INS' mission to ensure that our nation's immigration laws are followed and stop illegal immigration and our desire to welcome legitimate visitors to the United States," INS Commissioner James Ziglar said.

"While we recognize the overwhelming majority who come to us as visitors are honest and law-abiding, the events of Sept. 11 remind us there will always be those who seek to cause us harm."
Old Apr 9th 2002, 12:53 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: OT INS propose change to length of Visitor visa.

This would be for first-time visitors. After that visitors could have longer stays.
Interestingly enough they haven't mentioned visa waivers yet so I wouldn't be
surprised if we end up with the situation that entering on a visa waiver gives you a
longer stay than an initial tourist visa.

Personally, I think this is an unnecessary proposal. Yes, the hijackers made use of
long legal stays in the US but they also overstayed their visas. Such terrorists in
the future would have no problem in just entering and overstaying their 30 day
allowance so all it will do is penalize those people who come from cultures where
lengthy stays are a matter of course, or penalize tourists who want to do the grand
tour, etc.

What seems to be to me more sensible is to disallow change of status from tourist to
student or work status - requiring, instead, that the person go through the formal
visa approval process at a consulate.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "andrewdean"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The INS is proposing to reduce from six months to 30 days the amount of time a
    > business traveler or tourist can stay in America. And the agency will make it more
    > difficult to extend a stay.
    >
    > Visitors will have to show unexpected or compelling reasons for an extension, such
    > as the need for medical treatment or a delay in completing a business matter,
    > according to an INS official who did not want to be identified.
    >
    > "These new rules strike the appropriate balance between INS' mission to ensure that
    > our nation's immigration laws are followed and stop illegal immigration and our
    > desire to welcome legitimate visitors to the United States," INS Commissioner James
    > Ziglar said.
    >
    > "While we recognize the overwhelming majority who come to us as visitors are honest
    > and law-abiding, the events of Sept. 11 remind us there will always be those who
    > seek to cause us harm."
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 9th 2002, 2:50 pm
Andy Platt

Looking at the WP I see they have modified the proposals a little from those
discussed last week to be a little more flexible. That makes sense to me - it's like
when we went to Tobago for honeymoon. We were asked why we were there and how long we
were staying - honeymoon for a week. They wrote honeymoon on the entry stamp and gave
us two weeks in case we wanted to stay a little bit longer.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Andy Platt"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This would be for first-time visitors. After that visitors could have
longer
    > stays. Interestingly enough they haven't mentioned visa waivers yet so I wouldn't
    > be surprised if we end up with the situation that entering on a visa waiver gives
    > you a longer stay than an initial tourist visa.
    >
    > Personally, I think this is an unnecessary proposal. Yes, the hijackers
made
    > use of long legal stays in the US but they also overstayed their visas.
Such
    > terrorists in the future would have no problem in just entering and overstaying
    > their 30 day allowance so all it will do is penalize those people who come from
    > cultures where lengthy stays are a matter of course,
or
    > penalize tourists who want to do the grand tour, etc.
    >
    > What seems to be to me more sensible is to disallow change of status from tourist
    > to student or work status - requiring, instead, that the person go through the
    > formal visa approval process at a consulate.
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "andrewdean"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > The INS is proposing to reduce from six months to 30 days the amount of time a
    > > business traveler or tourist can stay in America. And the agency will make it
    > > more difficult to extend a stay.
    > >
    > > Visitors will have to show unexpected or compelling reasons for an extension,
    > > such as the need for medical treatment or a delay in completing a business
    > > matter, according to an INS official who did not want to be identified.
    > >
    > > "These new rules strike the appropriate balance between INS' mission to ensure
    > > that our nation's immigration laws are followed and stop illegal immigration and
    > > our desire to welcome legitimate visitors to the United States," INS Commissioner
    > > James Ziglar said.
    > >
    > > "While we recognize the overwhelming majority who come to us as visitors are
    > > honest and law-abiding, the events of Sept. 11 remind us there will always be
    > > those who seek to cause us harm."
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 11th 2002, 1:40 am
Brit_am

snowman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > > The INS is proposing to reduce from six months to 30 days the amount of time a
    > > business traveler or tourist can stay in America. And the agency will make it
    > > more difficult to extend a stay.
    > >
    > > "These new rules strike the appropriate balance between INS' mission to ensure
    > > that our nation's immigration laws are followed and stop illegal immigration and
    > > our desire to welcome legitimate visitors to the United States," INS Commissioner
    > > James Ziglar said.
    >
    > How does that rule stop illegal immigration? If someone decides to use a tourist
    > visa just to enter the US and then overstay, why does it matter if the initial
    > allowed stay was 30 days or 6 months? I guess it was an easy way for INS to pretend
    > they are actually doing something, while in reality they just have to change
    > numbers on their stamps.

That's a good point. There are thousands out there now who've overstayed such visas,
and the INS hasn't a clue as to where these people are. That's like in the state
where I live, recently the inept INS made a big show of a raid they did which nabbed
a couple of illegal aliens from Eastern Europe who were janitors in a small town. Yet
Tyson Foods, it has been learned has been funneling illegal Mexicans in for years,
and the INS totally ignor them. Not to mention an almost Mexican invasion of the
state in the past couple of years. So, I found that "raid" on the couple of janitors
laughable.