British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   OT INS Called Our Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ot-ins-called-our-home-106420/)

Rete Jan 24th 2002 1:46 pm

The regulars of the this NG are aware of the problems my husband had in getting his actual green card. The problems ran from no approval at the interview because the original file was still in storage in Lee's Summit, MO, refusal by an INS clerk to give him an extended I-551 when after a year his green card never arrived in the mail, the lack of response by VSC to an official inquiry on form G-731V regarding the whereabouts of the greencard, the lack of response to initial inquiry by the immigration liaison for our congresswoman, lack of response to 2 letters we wrote to NYC INS, DC's refusal to act on a filed formal complaint lodged against the NYC INS employee who refused to give him an extended stamp, etc.

I walked in the door from work last night to find a laughing hubby who was delighted to tell me that he had received a call earlier from a supervisor at the NYC INS office. No, the man did not write the name down and doesn't remember it ;-( She was calling him to apologize for the rude and inappropriate behavior of the clerk that Jim complained about formerly to the DC audit unit. She was also calling because she was in receipt of the two letters sent by our Congresswoman Nita Lowey the last of which outlined Jim's active service in the Guard.

She thanked him for serving "her" country and considers his willingness to put his life on the line for a country other than his own ~unusual~. (Don't know why she would be surprised. Assume she would know that if you are between the ages of 18 and 26 you have to register for the selective service even if you don't yet have a green card.)

She wanted him to know that because he did not get the name of the employee that he complained about, there was nothing they could do formally but that they would see that all personnel who man the Section 245 front desk would receive instructions on how to interact with clients.

Then again to my puzzlement, she reiterated what our DAO's letter said about removal of conditons. We were to apply for removal between 6/11 and 9/11. But his green card expires on 8/11 so those dates are incorrect. The proper timeframe would be 5/11 to 8/11.

Or does NYC INS have different dates for his green card listed than is actually on his green card?

At any rate, we will send in form I-751 in the timeframe indicated on this actual green card and not on the advise of a DAO and Supervisor at NYC INS.

Rete Jan 24th 2002 1:49 pm

And she also said

If you are lucky, you won't have to come back to NYC INS for another interview.

From her mouth to god's ear to the Vermont Service Center.

Exyz Jan 24th 2002 3:24 pm

The INS has called our house too...last summer when my husband's EAD appt was
rescheduled (by the INS) at the last moment, he could not attend the appt, so we got
our congressman's liasion to help us convey that information to the INS..It took us
two separate messages and about 6 or 7 weeks to get a response.(When we started, he
still had 2 months before his EAD expired).

Three days before his EAD was due to expire, the INS called him and invited him to
come down for an appointment in 2 days. The INS agent was so accomodating that he
wanted to make sure my husband did not have to get up too early to make the drive to
Charlotte.

So there are pockets of service.... Glad you've experienced it too!

Elaine

Betastar Jan 24th 2002 10:16 pm

We are, quite frankly, amazed. Congratulations - you've gotten something
really rare ;)

Betastar & Reinhard

On 24 Jan 2002 10:05:23 -0500, Rete <[email protected]> spake:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >