Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT: Feeding Tube removal

OT: Feeding Tube removal

Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:05 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default OT: Feeding Tube removal

With this story making such big headlines I wonder what everyone else thinks in this emotionally charged debate.

1. I know for a fact, if *I* were the one in that chair, I would want them to remove the tube and preferably give me an injection. Since the injection is not an option, I'd still want the tube pulled. I would NOT want to live like that OR have the burden of that decision placed on my loved ones. I have made a living will to say, "let me go" if I am incapable of making that decision. Most parents would want to keep their child alive and you could argue, they are not making the right decisions for the right reasons, they are *too* close - sad as that statement seems.

What would YOU do ?

2. In the UK, the law says, if you are certified brain dead (as this lady is - in a vegative state), they have to pull the plug and the decision isn't a national tug-of-war heart wrenching debate.

Do you agree with the UK law ?

3. Pro-lifers "God's choice" don't have a say in this as their argument falls apart since God has made his decision already and man is already interfering here. I am a Christian and believe man can interfere too much. heck, with today's technology we could keep everyone "alive" forever.

Do you think we should keep everyone "alive" forever, no matter what ? We can with today's technology do just that.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: OT: Feeding Tube removal

They have removed it now.....
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:16 pm

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
This is the 3rd time they have removed it, only to put it back again - all so sad... I probably shouldn't have started this topic on reflection. I just wanted to see who was feeling what.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
This is the 3rd time they have removed it, only to put it back again - all so sad... I probably shouldn't have started this topic on reflection. I just wanted to see who was feeling what.
I have followed this case for years ...its all fairly close by too me ..
What really gets me .. Is the protestors outside the hospice ..all dissappear when the TV cameras go ...... The web site the family have which purports to show here responding .. is sick...
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I heard on NPR this morning that it could take as long as two weeks before the lady dies, even without the tube....

NC Penguin
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:28 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
2. In the UK, the law says, if you are certified brain dead (as this lady is - in a vegative state), they have to pull the plug and the decision isn't a national tug-of-war heart wrenching debate.

Do you agree with the UK law ?
there is no plug to pull though.. she is not being kept alive by machines,
they want to remove the feeding tube, which means starving her to death. would i like to starve to death no. not a nice way to die imho.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:30 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I heard on NPR this morning that it could take as long as two weeks before the lady dies, even without the tube....

NC Penguin
I think a few grains of morphine would be a lot more humane. I also would never want to be in her state and would prefer death, but I feel deeply for her parents...plus her husband seems like such a slimey piece of shit.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
...plus her husband seems like such a slimey piece of shit.
From what I see its the opposite...
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:49 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
From what I see its the opposite...
I could be wrong...it just seems some reports I have heard are quite against him.

http://www.wftv.com/news/4253036/detail.html

http://www.nationalledger.com/commen...cle_1211.shtml
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:02 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I could be wrong...it just seems some reports I have heard are quite against him.

http://www.wftv.com/news/4253036/detail.html

http://www.nationalledger.com/commen...cle_1211.shtml
It's probably difficult to judge in a case like this. I would say that if it was his wife's wish that she were not kept alive artificially then it would be extremely difficult for him to watch her going through something she expressly said she didn't want; and as for the parents, I personally can't understand their point of view if medical opinion goes against any hope they might have that she would return to normal. My parents know that I wouldn't want to be kept alive if I were never to have a reasonable quality of life and I would hope they're strong enough to stick to that.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy.
there is no plug to pull though.. she is not being kept alive by machines,
they want to remove the feeding tube, which means starving her to death. would i like to starve to death no. not a nice way to die imho.
But if she is brain dead then she won't "feel" the starving to death. The body might re-act in different ways but sometimes that's a process of the body rather than the brain.

*** If she can feel the pain of starving to death then WHAT PAIN do you think she is feeling as a 15 year cabbage ? ****

People do actually kill themselves by starving themselves to death. The body has a weird way of "shutting" down to prevent you even feeling the same level of pain - EVEN IF I beleived she was in pain - which I don't.

I'd take 2 weeks of starving versus the 15 years of zip - wouldn't you - really ?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:07 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by neil
It's probably difficult to judge in a case like this. I would say that if it was his wife's wish that she were not kept alive artificially then it would be extremely difficult for him to watch her going through something she expressly said she didn't want; and as for the parents, I personally can't understand their point of view if medical opinion goes against any hope they might have that she would return to normal. My parents know that I wouldn't want to be kept alive if I were never to have a reasonable quality of life and I would hope they're strong enough to stick to that.
Its all a dispute about MONEY
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Its all a dispute about MONEY
Hello. Back to that old chestut. I would've thought that the interests of the patient would have been the first and possibly only consideration...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

She is NOT in a vegetative state.

It is ALL about money. Why didn't he give her parents care of her years ago? Because if he did that, he'd lose out on all the $$$$ that are coming to him the minute she is declared dead.

And then there are the 'rumors' that he slapped her around a tad, and might have actually been the cause of this (I can't recall it has been so long, but there was some 'hanky panky' going on from the start), and it is the reason he's refused ANY medical attention right from the get go.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:19 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Hello. Back to that old chestut. I would've thought that the interests of the patient would have been the first and possibly only consideration...
NC Penguin
The girl got a million dollar settlement ... 15 years later the parent believe they should have it too look after their child .. they believe it all still there ...

The husband who by the way is a RN.. has already turned down 10 million to give the parents custody.. The husbands lawyers says there is about $40000 left ..
but his attorney has not been paid in two years ...the hospice is paid by medicaid now .. he has never accepted money .. the parent have accepted 1000s off donation to pay their lawyer, fake doctors and their own time ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.