Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT: FAQ Pages and Dissenters

OT: FAQ Pages and Dissenters

Old Mar 30th 2002, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: FAQ Pages and Dissenters

For the newbies on the group, Alvena, Nigel and Mike were the first ones to set up this channel and do the FAQ pages. They worked long and hard to do this for your benefit. They were joined by others who added their expertise to the process and made a system where people can go for answers to questions. As the rules and regulations changed in the INS structuring for marriage-based visas, they changed the URL's to reflect this new information.

My telling people to read the FAQ and Mysterous Brown Envelope portion of it has been done by others for the entire 4 years this NG has been around.

Alvena branched out and set up her own pages which she "gave up" because of legal intervention about her messageboard. She still refers people to that site instead of the FAQ pages.

They are there to help you. If you take offense by my asking you to read them before asking numerous questions, that is your privilege. But it will not stop me from posting that you do so.

Nor will Sean's opinion of me sway me. Nor Dabear? or Marie's. I don't owe you friendliness or congeniality. I owe you on correct information or a URL where you can find it. If you have a problem with my writing style then don't read my posts. It is quite that simple.

Now you all have yourselves a very nice day and for the Christians out there who are dissenters of my style, Happy Easter Sunday
Old Mar 30th 2002, 7:05 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: OT: FAQ Pages and Dissenters

Rete wrote:
    > Alvena branched out and set up her own pages which she "gave up" because of legal
    > intervention about her messageboard. She still refers people to that site instead
    > of the FAQ pages.
    >
Just a quick word of explanation:

The Doc Steen site has a link to the K-1 FAQ and marriagebasedvisas.org right at the
top of the front page, along with other resources, so that everyone has a link to
whatever resource they are looking for. Marriagebasedvisas.org has a link to many
other resources. I encourage everyone to take advantage of ALL of the resources
available. It is just convenient for me to post one reference URL, and so of course I
post the Doc Steen site, since I am the webmaster and consultant for that site. I
personally prefer to keep my sig short, with the hope that persons will at least
pursue that URL, which will lead them to all of the other resources if their clicker
doesn't wear out. ; )

alvena

Old Mar 30th 2002, 8:05 pm
Marie

>Nor will Sean's opinion of me sway me. Nor Dabear? or Marie's. I don't owe you
    >friendliness or congeniality. I owe you on correct information

If you read my previous postings i was actually agreeing with you.....

oh well....

Old Mar 30th 2002, 8:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Alvena

Yes your site does have the FAQ page listed as well as Jonathan's and many useful and informative links and the pages you originally setup are a great source of assistance to anyone and everyone. I was not taking that away from you at all and hope you did not think that I was.

The NG links were at one time were in the beginning posted weekly in the same style I did yesterday as was the comment to read them from start to finish and then come ask all the questions you want.

Personally I prefer to advertise the FAQ pages and the links for listing one's experiences as no one else does it and you don't have that format for listing experiences on the Doc Steen site. Those sites have been around for years and are invaluable resources for all newbies regardless of how they are going through the INS system based on marriage to a USC.

You are one of the few old timers on here, having started a few short months prior to me and Jim. You have an undying quest for making life easier for others and have gone out of your way to offer them not only your experience but have researched for countless hours various other processes of the INS and DOS.

You are just as opinionated as me, although our styles are vastly different. You are a country girl and I'm a city gal. Styles of writing vary and you seem to have an unlimited supply of patience.

I've always admired your ability to juggle home, career, web and illness without losing your cool more than just a few times.

Rita
Old Apr 4th 2002, 12:05 am
Jon90

Default Re: FAQ Pages and Dissenters

As a newbie on this group, but veteran of others, I can appreciate how seeing the
same questions over and over gets irritating.

To say " If you have a problem with my writing style then don't read my posts. It is
quite that simple" when you are posting a reply to their question, and therefore they
are going to read it, is a little unfair

Perhaps a better philosophy would be "If you have a problem with the question
being asked, because you feel it has been asked 400 times previously, then don't
bother replying"

Let someone else answer, people who haven't seen the question 400 times previously,
and therefore don't mind posting a friendly human reply. People who are now further
along the process and want to give back some the help they recieved when they first
subscribed to the NG.

It's not like every posting requires your input. It prevents burn out and avoids
kicking off a flame war.

Best Wishes,

Jon "Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > For the newbies on the group, Alvena, Nigel and Mike were the first ones to set up
    > this channel and do the FAQ pages. They worked long and hard to do this for your
    > benefit. They were joined by others who added their expertise to the process and
    > made a system where people can go for answers to questions. As the rules and
    > regulations changed in the INS structuring for marriage-based visas, they changed
    > the URL's to reflect this new information.
    >
    > My telling people to read the FAQ and Mysterous Brown Envelope portion of it has
    > been done by others for the entire 4 years this NG has been around.
    >
    > Alvena branched out and set up her own pages which she "gave up" because of legal
    > intervention about her messageboard. She still refers people to that site instead
    > of the FAQ pages.
    >
    > They are there to help you. If you take offense by my asking you to read them
    > before asking numerous questions, that is your privilege. But it will not stop me
    > from posting that you do so.
    >
    > Nor will Sean's opinion of me sway me. Nor Dabear? or Marie's. I don't owe you
    > friendliness or congeniality. I owe you on correct information or a URL where you
    > can find it. If you have a problem with my writing style then don't read my posts.
    > It is quite that simple.
    >
    > Now you all have yourselves a very nice day and for the Christians out there who
    > are dissenters of my style, Happy Easter Sunday
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Rete and Jim (Can/Am Alumni '98)
    >
    > The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope
    > http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm Update AOS Experiences at:
    > http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html Update POE Experiences at:
    > http://www.k1poelist.com/ Update AOS filing: http://www.kamya.com/aos/ I-130/I-485
    > Helpsite at: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm AOS filing; AOS,
    > I-130 and K-1 Interview Experiences: http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 4th 2002, 11:05 am
Grinch

Default Re: FAQ Pages and Dissenters

"Jon90" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > As a newbie on this group, but veteran of others, I can appreciate how seeing the
    > same questions over and over gets irritating.

> Let someone else answer, people who haven't seen the question 400 times previously,
    > and therefore don't mind posting a friendly human reply.
People
    > who are now further along the process and want to give back some the help they
    > recieved when they first subscribed to the NG.

Actually Jon...some of the answers to questions from people who haven't seen the
question before are absolutely and totally incorrect thus requiring someone who
does have a scooby to interupt. Pretty much every question is answered in the
linked documents and of course removing unnecessary questions leaves more room for
my inane comments.

Grinch

Old Apr 4th 2002, 3:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Excellent advice, and I hope that you do continue to post it at every opportunity.

Regards, JEff
whose favorite newscaster is Jack Cafferty

Originally posted by Rete
<<SNIP>>
My telling people to read the FAQ and Mysterous Brown Envelope portion of it has been done by others for the entire 4 years this NG has been around.

<<SNIP>>

They are there to help you. If you take offense by my asking you to read them before asking numerous questions, that is your privilege. But it will not stop me from posting that you do so.

<<SNIP>>