Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT Back From Holiday/POE Experiences

OT Back From Holiday/POE Experiences

Old Aug 18th 2002, 1:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT Back From Holiday/POE Experiences

Houlton and St. Stephen's POE's Can/Am Crossings

We entered New Brunswick last Saturday via the Houlton, ME crossing. Two booths were open of three. One for trucks and RV's and the other for vehicles. The examiner was wearing a gun and a bullet proof vest, as were all the other officers we saw that day. We were thoroughly cross examined verbally as to our destination and contents of our vehicles. Our documents underwent the same thorough examiner. After receiving permission to enter we noted that all Canadian custom's officers were such attired and that the bays were full and they were going through cars and RV's top to bottom and even saw one agent searching a cooler.

On the return trip to the USA we used the St. Stephen's crossing and the US agents were just as thorough. Our car's trunk and back seats were searched by two agents while a third questioned us as to our whereabouts, length of stay, where we visited, who we visited, what we purchased, etc. They were doing this to each and every vehicle. We watched the inspection of a fuel truck. They used mirrors to scan the undercarriage and asked the driver to step out of the cab while they searched that as well. There were National Guard personnel standing alongside each booth.

Since we travel regularly between New York and Montreal via the Lake Champlain crossing we knew they were "upscaling" and "intensifying" examinations but these were the two most thorough we have ever undergone.

The holiday was great. We stayed the night in Bangor, ME on the first night's travel to Nova Scotia and then toured New Brunswick, driving down to Nova Scotia to our final destination of Halifax, NS. We toured while visiting with Jim's son and grandson and went to Greenwood to pay our respects to Jim's youngest son's grave there. One day we drove the shoreline and went to Peggy's Cove and prayed at the memorial for the Swissair travelers that perished in the air crash. The food was great, the company fun, the sightseeing beautiful and the trip long. We started for home on Thursday stopping for the night in St. John and visited the reversing falls and magnetic hill in Moudcin. The next morning we entered back into the US at St. Stephen and drove to the Berkshires in MA to spend the night and most of today with friends.

Lovely holiday but exhausting. Canada is a lovely place to live I'm sure and a great place to vacation.

Rete
Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: OT Back From Holiday/POE Experiences

Welcome back, glad you had a good time.
I tried while you were away, honestly..........
Please don't tell me off ;o)
According to one poster I am your "sidekick" (when all I really know about is umbrellas in London)
I've been really busy, things have "hotted up" at last, after
nearly 8 weeks my house buyers received their mortgage offer
so I'm looking to be on the plane on the 27th or 28th August
(I'll know Tomorrow or Tuesday)
I've told Ida to get the huggin arms ready and the lingerie
out of the bottom draw.

Roger (+ Ida/Katie)

Originally posted by Rete:

We entered New Brunswick last Saturday via the Houlton, ME crossing. Two booths were open of three. One for trucks and RV's and the other for vehicles. The examiner was wearing a gun and a bullet proof vest, as were all the other officers we saw that day. We were thoroughly cross examined verbally as to our destination and contents of our vehicles. Our documents underwent the same thorough examiner. After receiving permission to enter we noted that all Canadian custom's officers were such attired and that the bays were full and they were going through cars and RV's top to bottom and even saw one agent searching a cooler.

On the return trip to the USA we used the St. Stephen's crossing and the US agents were just as thorough. Our car's trunk and back seats were searched by two agents while a third questioned us as to our whereabouts, length of stay, where we visited, who we visited, what we purchased, etc. They were doing this to each and every vehicle. We watched the inspection of a fuel truck. They used mirrors to scan the undercarriage and asked the driver to step out of the cab while they searched that as well. There were National Guard personnel standing alongside each booth.

Since we travel regularly between New York and Montreal via the Lake Champlain crossing we knew they were "upscaling" and "intensifying" examinations but these were the two most thorough we have ever undergone.

The holiday was great. We stayed the night in Bangor, ME on the first night's travel to Nova Scotia and then toured New Brunswick, driving down to Nova Scotia to our final destination of Halifax, NS. We toured while visiting with Jim's son and grandson and went to Greenwood to pay our respects to Jim's youngest son's grave there. One day we drove the shoreline and went to Peggy's Cove and prayed at the memorial for the Swissair travelers that perished in the air crash. The food was great, the company fun, the sightseeing beautiful and the trip long. We started for home on Thursday stopping for the night in St. John and visited the reversing falls and magnetic hill in Moudcin. The next morning we entered back into the US at St. Stephen and drove to the Berkshires in MA to spend the night and most of today with friends.

Lovely holiday but exhausting. Canada is a lovely place to live I'm sure and a great place to vacation.

Rete
Old Aug 18th 2002, 5:53 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

I've told Ida to get the huggin arms ready and the lingerie out of the bottom draw.

LMAO I couldnt help but laugh at this part. That is so cute.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by PEACHSTER:

Nice though eh !!! ;o)

By the way what's LMAO (not to up on abbreviations)
Old Aug 18th 2002, 6:02 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:

Nice though eh !!! ;o)

By the way what's LMAO (not to up on abbreviations)

Hey you shouldnt be saying eh, that is for Canadians to say. LOL

LMAO stands for Laughing My Ass Off & LOL is Laugh Out Loud.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by PEACHSTER:

Hey you shouldnt be saying eh, that is for Canadians to say. LOL

LMAO stands for Laughing My Ass Off & LOL is Laugh Out Loud.

Alrighty (as we say in England)
Old Aug 18th 2002, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Welcome back! Glad you had a good vacation. Cool that you got to stay in the world's best author's hometown that one night. I would really like to visit Maine myself one day...having read almost all of Stephen King's novels, I feel like I know it!

-Harry
Old Aug 19th 2002, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rete.

Rather 'delayed' reaction, I know

...Welcome back! Glad you have had a good one!

Originally posted by Rete:

Rete