Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Orthodontist at my age!

Orthodontist at my age!

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orthodontist at my age!

Well I've got to the ripe old age of 34 with crooked teeth (not too badly I might add) and now I've decided enough and made an appointment to see an orthodontist. Unfortunately my dental insurance policy doesn't cover any of the costs, as you have to be under 18 (no wonder so many kids have braces here) anyway I'm going to find out my options. I'm a bit nervous of the concept of wearing a brace at my age and wonder if people will stare but then I'm thinking if I dont bite the bullet and go for it it will be another year down the line and I could have just got on with it. My only other issue is that before the end of the year I may be back in the UK so I will have to make sure that a UK dentist will be able to take over my care, hopefully that wont be an issue. I'm wondering how many here have had braces at an older age or know someone who has and if they got any unwanted attention because of it?
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orthodontist at my age!

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Well I've got to the ripe old age of 34 with crooked teeth (not too badly I might add) and now I've decided enough and made an appointment to see an orthodontist. Unfortunately my dental insurance policy doesn't cover any of the costs, as you have to be under 18 (no wonder so many kids have braces here) anyway I'm going to find out my options. I'm a bit nervous of the concept of wearing a brace at my age and wonder if people will stare but then I'm thinking if I dont bite the bullet and go for it it will be another year down the line and I could have just got on with it. My only other issue is that before the end of the year I may be back in the UK so I will have to make sure that a UK dentist will be able to take over my care, hopefully that wont be an issue. I'm wondering how many here have had braces at an older age or know someone who has and if they got any unwanted attention because of it?
You might be fitted with one of those invisible braces. Let me know how you go one as my hubby is thinking of doing exactly the same thing.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

My consultation is next week I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any questions that I should be asking the Dentist?
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My consultation is next week I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any questions that I should be asking the Dentist?
What type of brace will be used and for how long. How much is the total cost going to be.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, won't be properly covered by the NHS if your over 18, and it'll cost a fair bit...my teeth aren't bad, and I've had braces as a kid, but have a slight overbite since I had them, and was quoted £2.5K on the NHS and would take a few years, well a couple years for the waiting list for the braces, but a year to get the op to chop my jaw down a bit, which would time nicely apparently, or I could have done it privately and would have cost between £10-16K and I could have had my jaw removed, sliced and teeth moved back within a week, and then had the braces a couple months later, still would have been 2 years of work though...and braces hurt like buggery the first few weeks they go in.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What type of brace will be used and for how long. How much is the total cost going to be.
and cost of repair to braces, especially if it's those rail tracks, those elastic bands and wires break all the time, want to make sure those are included in cost etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
In the UK, won't be properly covered by the NHS if your over 18, and it'll cost a fair bit...my teeth aren't bad, and I've had braces as a kid, but have a slight overbite since I had them, and was quoted £2.5K on the NHS and would take a few years, well a couple years for the waiting list for the braces, but a year to get the op to chop my jaw down a bit, which would time nicely apparently, or I could have done it privately and would have cost between £10-16K and I could have had my jaw removed, sliced and teeth moved back within a week, and then had the braces a couple months later, still would have been 2 years of work though...and braces hurt like buggery the first few weeks they go in.
wow thats alot, I have a feeling braces here will be about $3000 or so. I am going to ask my brother to phone his dentist in the Uk and ask how much for comparison.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You might be fitted with one of those invisible braces. Let me know how you go one as my hubby is thinking of doing exactly the same thing.
Colleague of mine has had those for about a year now. He didn't tell me he was getting them and to be honest I really didn't notice he was wearing them; they really are invisible. Pretty disgusting when he takes them off before eating though.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
My hubby was quoted several thousand pounds in the UK, I don't think the NHS would cover any of the cost, but that was about 15 yrs ago.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dunroving
Colleague of mine has had those for about a year now. He didn't tell me he was getting them and to be honest I really didn't notice he was wearing them; they really are invisible. Pretty disgusting when he takes them off before eating though.
Don't tell me he used to take them out at the table and put them in glass.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:23 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you ask how long you will have to wear the retainers after you have the braces removed.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:29 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Ask about "invisiline".
I believe that your dentist should be able to take a mould of your teeth and then he can fit the removeable brace himself.
Unless your teeth ar really bad I think it looks a bit odd for anyone out of their teens to have the full train track get up.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell me he used to take them out at the table and put them in glass.
Not too far off the truth. He puts them in the plastic case. I think sometimes he just forgets until he gets to the table.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not too far off the truth. He puts them in the plastic case. I think sometimes he just forgets until he gets to the table.
OMG Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :scared:
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

wow thats alot, I have a feeling braces here will be about $3000 or so. I am going to ask my brother to phone his dentist in the Uk and ask how much for comparison.
The missus, her orthodontist treatment, could have bought a small merc for the cost of it *lol*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.